IS IT WORTH UPGRADING TO WINDOWS 10?

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=nhubi
Win10 seems to turn your PC into an all you can eat for buffet for windows snoops if you don't immediately turn off all the 'share this info with Windows via cloud/wifi/feedback/MS account etc' options that are by default turned on.

Actually the bit that has me shaking my head is the line in the 12,000 word long EULA which starts with 'Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)' So not only will they read your stuff they'll share it and keep a copy.

Yeah I'm sticking with 7.

Also after hearing some stuff I recommend holding off on Win10, it's sleek as fuck but there's a lot of bugs now and will be even on release. This is an OS after all, one of the most aggressively difficult things to make bug free.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
If your on 7 and having a good time don't upgrade but 8 go ahead I'm enjoyed it and as slash said I would love to mess around with holo lens when it comes out and I never actually get it.
additionally there is all of stuff if you don't check it off with privacy in the begining but I fixed that when I first started it
They actually ended up skipping windows 9 because of 95 and 98
I'm personally holding off on this until I get my new computer built.

My current one has gone through a truckload of reloads and I'm hearing reports that 10 causes a lot of lag when running certain games and programs. I'm sure the OS itself is nice, but my computer is already pretty weak by current standards so I'd rather stick with 7 for one more month.
BizarreMonkey
Yeah, ma' composer upgraded ta 10 and his music programs stopped bein all workin' class-like, even after a whole bunch o' troubleshootin n' other horseshit.

Dankfully dat sissy cowboy got some good graces on him, he got a spare electric box, see wha' I'm sayin?

He may fight like he yellah but he don't write like he yellah, he write like a true merican, n' thats alwayyys good.

Wow it's so fun to do that sometimes.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I went from 8.1 to 10 and I can't say I'm impressed. There's about a dozen or so unremovable bloatware apps (Xbox, etc.) that I'm never going to open let alone actually use. So far my computer has been running slower than before the update, and I'm experiencing lag even when doing something as simple as opening Firefox. I'm going to give it a week but if it doesn't get better I'm reverting to 8.1.

They claimed they patched all the major bugs before release, thanks to the data they took from the people using the extended trial version over the past few months.
BizarreMonkey
Is it released?

Last I heard it's still in trial stages.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
It's released. People who have registered with MS that have 7 or 8 have been offered a free 'upgrade'. It's not available to buy new AFAIK, though.
It's A Trap! No, seriously, Microsoft is just as bad as the NSA at this point. Windows 10 is designed to extract as much info about your computer & everything in it as possible. Here are some articles about it:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212160-windows-10-still-phones-home-even-when-ordered-not-to-do-so
author=nhubi
Win10 seems to turn your PC into an all you can eat for buffet for windows snoops if you don't immediately turn off all the 'share this info with Windows via cloud/wifi/feedback/MS account etc' options that are by default turned on.

Actually the bit that has me shaking my head is the line in the 12,000 word long EULA which starts with 'Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders)' So not only will they read your stuff they'll share it and keep a copy.

That needed a Mwhahaha, don't you think?
I will upgrade only when most of the programs isn't compatible anymore.
BizarreMonkey
I've decided after seeing the privacy policy that I'm staying clear, I should have guessed this would happen given the Xbox One's spytool but shit... I never thought Microsoft's level of depravity would go this low.

My next OS will likely be an Ubuntu or Linux, I'm not paying Microsoft to spy on me, I'm paying them to make a competent OS.
nhubi
author=bulmabriefs144
author=nhubi

That needed a Mwhahaha, don't you think?

It was probably written in invisible text.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/09/12/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-now-forced-onto-windows-7-and-windows-8/

Haha wow.

For those of you with Windows 7 or 8, check to see if you have a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT' on your main drive (probably C:\)

Astonishingly this is not a one-off error. Speaking to The Inquirer, Microsoft confirmed this is now something they are doing to all computers running Windows 7 and Windows 8:

“For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade. When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device,” said a Microsoft spokesperson.

Now let’s be clear here: with regards to Windows 7 and Windows 8 “individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update” is essentially everyone.

So unless you expressly chose to switch off all Windows updates (not recommended), you will be receiving (and have already received) a 3-6GB silent download. As The Inquirer reader points out, this can be found at: C:\$windows.~BT
It was there, but it was 160MB (probably because I've got it set so that I have to approve Windows Updates before they get downloaded). I just deleted that puppy.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
My experience with Windows 10 has been mostly negative. I have a beast of a computer (Alienware 16GB Ram, 2GBVideo RAM, i7@3.0GHz, 750HDD) and it... lags. I think it is because of driver compatibility or something. I had to disable many runtime services in order to get decent performance.
nhubi
author=Liberty
It was there, but it was 160MB (probably because I've got it set so that I have to approve Windows Updates before they get downloaded). I just deleted that puppy.

Same boat here, except I didn't even have that. I don't update anything without checking out what it does first, hence there a quite a few 'absolutely critical' windows updates I've happily not accepted for the better part of two years now with no ill effects.

Win10 will never be installed on this machine.
Some people have a relatively tiny SSD as their C: (not that I would notice a 3-6gb on my C anyway... Today I noticed some ancient driver install files that were about that while looking for this $windows (that I seemingly didn't have). So I freed a little bit of space up.

I will upgrade to win10... Eventually. The free upgrade was going to be for a year right, so there's still a couple of months until I have to upgrade.
I upgraded to Windows 10 because it was offered to my slightly-less-than-legit copy of Windows 7 and I wanted to see if I could get a legit Windows, and as far as I can tell I did! :O. I don't mind it. My wife hates it though, but her machine is quite old and Windows 10 lags even more than Windows 7 did (though she forgets how much Win 7 lagged for her).

The biggest issues I've encountered is that my USB microphone/headset is SUPER QUIET in Windows 10 (this is a known but so far unaddressed issue with some USB headsets mics and Windows 8/8,1/10 and the default MS driver), and my DVD writer wasn't detected AT ALL by the device manager (I had to edit the registry manually to get it detected, but it still won't burn disks (but does read them now, at least)). Oh yeah, and my Edge browser was failing to launch a while back. I forget what I did to fix that, but it was also byzantine.

I haven't really used any of the new features of 10, except Mail, which is sufficient for my old hotmail account.

And yes, my primary drive is a 120GB SSD so 6GB would be pretty significant.
im on windows 8 and im ready to go back to win7, operating systems are kind of like voting, "at least it isn't the current one"