VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION! HERE! NOW!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=brandonabley link=topic=184.msg2834#msg2834 date=1188178562
I have been playing a lot of Bioshock, which is one of the best video games I've played! I die a little inside when I realize that nobody here is playing it. :(
I fully intend to play it... as soon as I finish Odin Sphere! I've been looking forward to it for a while, and the demo got me REALLY excited, but I can't in good conscience start yet another game, when I have so many left incomplete.

Speaking of Odin Sphere, I've played a good bit of that today.
Thanks to WIP (and thanks to myself for reminding him multiple times), there are now working spoiler tags on the RMN forums! I had to refresh to get them to work initially, so keep that in mind if they're wonky for you and you're using Firefox!
So now I hereby officially proclaim there to be Odin Sphere spoilers in this post.

I finished Fairy Land.
I picked up play today in the Netherworld as Mercedes. The Netherworld itself posed little problem to me, and Odette surprisingly was hardly an issue at all. I know I'm playing on Easy, but the game is still very difficult at times. There were no such times today!
I took a Painkiller and pummeled away at Odette with many furious bolts. Her health rapidly declined as she suffered from the brunt of my attacks. Then she died. I don't think I had to take any Health Potions.

Then I moved onto the Volkenon Fire Pit. It is easily my second least favorite stage, a little bit behind the Titanian Capital. Fire, fire everywhere. The most common mandragoras spew flames once uprooted, and all the enemies are capable of setting you on fire. What a pain in the ass. You have to deal with enemies that shoot fireballs, enemies that are fireballs, and enemies that are fireballs that explode for MASSIVE DAMAGE once defeated. Plus you have to use Coolers. Which is more a minor inconvenience, but damn I hate that Fire Pit.

The boss, however, was much easier. Leventhan, last of the dragons, was extremely easy. I died against him many times as Gwendolyn, but by the time I fought him as Mercedes, he was a mere stepping stone on my way to the end of the book. His attacks are devastating, but pathetically telegraphed.

Once the final scion of the dragon race was bested, it was time to head to the Raging Battlefields of the Epilogue. I was touched by the scene before the battle. Mercedes was little more than a naive little girl at the beginning of her book, but she has grown into such an inspiring queen. It was enough to make me cry. ;_;
Ok, not really. But it was certainly pleasant to see her mature!

Into the fray I leapt. I had problems with the Berserkers as Gwendolyn and Cornelius, especially when there were two of them (which only happened once for each character, I believe). However, even two Berserkers were doormats to Mercedes. They rarely jumped, so I hit them with my charge shot after flying behind them. They went down like a submarine.

I faced the Demon King Odin with two large bags full of Healing Potions and Painkillers. Although Odin wasn't nearly as easy as Leventhan and Odette, he also didn't prove to be quite as bad as Beldor. His gigantic Balor was definitely the hardest part of the battle. Dodging that, Odin's other attacks, and the enemies on the screen was a bit of a pain. Even with Painkiller, that Balor did a huge amount of damage to me. Still, when openings presented themselves (mostly when Balor wasn't around), I would cast Overload and hit him HARD.

At last, Fairy Land came to an end. Mercedes handled the situation after Odin's defeat well, she proved herself to be a fine queen, and all was well!
Looking back through Mercedes's story, it really does feel like a lot happened over a long period of time. She started out as a naive girl borrowing her mother's crossbow to hunt frogs, witnessed her mother's death, became a queen, ran into Mr. Froggy, dealt with Melvin's betrayal, sought out Beldor (again), returned Ingway to his true form, rescued Brom, obtained a more powerful Psypher, lead a successful war against Odin, defeated Odin, and came into her own as the queen of her people. Cornelius's story seems extremely compact in comparison. Gwendolyn's still holds up favorably in scope, though. But hers is the longest anyway.

Anyway, what happened to Ingway? Looking at the timeline, and using plain old logic, it seems like Velvet's book will answer that question... Or will Oswald's?! No, probably not. I'm really looking forward to finding out what Ingway does after the incident in the Titania sewers. I was very disappointed to not see him again during Mercedes's story. And I'm sure Mercedes was as well, since she so obviously has a crush on him. How sweet.

It's interesting to see that both Oswald's and Velvet's stories end right before Gwendolyn regains consciousness from Odin's spell. I suppose I can understand why Oswald's would, but Velvet? I guess I'll see...

After that, I started on The Black Sword.
It's a little hard to go back to melee after playing as Mercedes for so long. I miss being able to fly out of enemies' ranges and hitting them from a distance with multiple attacks. I forgot how much I hated having to deal with the POW Meter. Ammo is so much better...
Oswald's special attack (Shadow Form) is totally badass. And totally worthless crap. The POW Meter is a pain to deal with as it is; losing even more POW is not at all worth the extra damage and coolness factor.

Anyway, I've only played to the very beginning of Chapter 1, so I don't have much to say about Oswald's story so far. I do look forward to seeing the gaps of Gwendolyn's (and possibly Mercedes's and Cornelius's) story filled in. Oswald is pretty much a plain old stoic badass teenage dark knight right now. But I'm ok with that! I look forward to seeing what happens to him.
Wooooooo I beat Shadow of the Collosus!
I freakin' loved versing those ten miles high freaks of nature!

Finally. Damn now I need ICO or whatever it's called.

Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Go ahead and buy the 360, you can play Fallout 3 on that as well.
Also, I forgot to mention that I played the Neverwinter Nights demo this morning. Yeah, the first one. I'm slightly late to the party on that one, I know. My friends and I have been looking for good PC games that we can play together online.

Does anyone know any decent online multiplayer games that aren't subscription-based? We've tried out Albatross (Pangya), KartRider, and America's Army. We're looking for games that would be particularly fun to play together, on the same side. There's three of us.

I don't think I'd mind Neverwinter Nights much, but one of my friends doesn't like it. Diablo has been mentioned, but I'm not particularly into dungeon-crawlers.
Yeah, if you are going to upgrade your PC for Fallout 3 and Bioshock, you 100% want a 360 over a new PC. PC gaming is a pain in the ass, and compared to the 360 library, the PC library just can't compete. Most big-ticket PC games end up on 360, so you won't miss out on much.
Is Diablo a dungeon-crawler? I've always thought of it as a hack-n'-slash action RPG, wherein you clear out room after room of monsters. Kinda like Asteroids.

Plus, there's all that phat loot.
author=kentona link=topic=184.msg2857#msg2857 date=1188248344
Is Diablo a dungeon-crawler? I've always thought of it as a hack-n'-slash action RPG, wherein you clear out room after room of monsters. Kinda like Asteroids.

Plus, there's all that phat loot.

I think that they're the same type of game. Diablo just has less exploration and more hacking, but you're still performing the same basic task of visiting the same dungeon endlessly and repeatedly returning to the same main hub. I don't think people give Diablo enough credit, though, because the games *are* pretty fun and it's way fun to customize your hero.
Ah, the videogame scene! The games I have been playing as of late are The Darkness and BioShock. BioShock is utterly stupendous, everything about the game is expertly done. I love every second of playing it. The Darkness is also extremely fun, but feels far more like the typical run and gun FPS. It has a fairly involved storyline that is presented well, and the characters all seem very real and natural. "The Darkness" factor of the game (where you can utilize the powers of the Darkness) is extremely fun and very instinctual, although the controls can get a bit confusing and are a bit muddled at times. I've almost beaten The Darkness but I've barely gotten into BioShock- yet I simply cannot wait to spend many an hour playing through it.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Ultimaodin link=topic=184.msg2839#msg2839 date=1188191794
Wooooooo I beat Shadow of the Collosus!
I freakin' loved versing those ten miles high freaks of nature!

Finally. Damn now I need ICO or whatever it's called.

I was so impressed with SotC when I finished it. As soon as I picked it up, I knew me and this game were going to become best of friends. The battles were epic, killing those giants tugged at my heart strings, and the ending was well done and appropriate, to say nothing of the setting and atmosphere of the game. most memorable battles, probably the first one, and the last one, just for the sheer wow factor of both. I think one of my favourite parts about the game is that after Dormin tells you what your task is, he's just like, "Now go..." Go on shoo! He tells you absolutely NOTHING about how the hell you were supposed to kill these collosi, nor how big they were. (i tried to remain blissfully unaware of anything about the game until I played it) So I come up on the first boss, and I'm like, now what? I accidentally hit the whistle button, and the music stops, he turns, winds up and bashes me with his giant club, taking out trees in the process, and this AWESOME battle music starts up. truly, an epic game, with a warm place in my locker of FAV's.

As per Kentona's horrible dis-knowledge of the original Diablo, it took place in tristram (where you later find Cain in D2) the monsters did NOT regenerate, you kept going into the same dungeon, which thankfully spawen several exits which you could use to go to different depths, and I think the game was a bit scarier. I remember playing that game late at night, I open up some door to a small room and heard "Ah! Fresh Meat!" and totally shat brix. My GF didn't play past that point, because she's a big scaredy cat :P
I played a little bit of Lord of the Rings Online last night, since there's a free trial dealy going on. Flabo the Hobbit Burglar has been pretty enjoyable so far. I've only just made it to the Shire, but I really liked the whole intro sequence.
Will I pay for it? Highly unlikely. I haven't even played WoW in probably over a year, and although I am liking LOTRO quite a lot so far, I just don't have the money for a MMORPG right now. Still, if I was looking for a non-WoW MMORPG, this would definitely be it.

Also, I started playing Knytt Stories. I didn't know this game had come out. I really love the whole aesthetic of the game. The minimalist (yet strangely beautiful) graphic style and the ambient music (I'm a huge sucker for ambient music) really draw me in. The upgrades are pretty neat, and I'm looking forward to seeing what other people have done with the game.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Metroid Prime 3 is my current fix. It's better than I imagined it would be.

I've also been playing a little DS/GBA right before bed. I switch between Final Fantasy V Advance (which is the best version of the game), Final Fantasy III (which I am actually not enjoying a lot), and the always faithful Metroid: Zero Mission.
Diablo gets mainly reverent respect from what I am able to tell. I hear far more gushing fans than detractors.

I only tried the original. Wasn't really able to get into it. I hear Diablo 2 is better, but I get the impression that Rogue RPGs just aren't for me.
author=Mewd link=topic=184.msg2989#msg2989 date=1188589986
Diablo gets mainly reverent respect from what I am able to tell. I hear far more gushing fans than detractors.

To be fair, Diablo 2 is a much, much better game than the original Diablo. It's definitely worth trying, even if you don't like the original.

Though I believe you once said that you like games with well-designed dungeons and good writing, so maybe Diablo isn't for you. The dungeons are serviceable, but they are randomly generated. Keep in mind that they might be some of the best randomly generated dungeons ever. The writing is excellent, but there isn't much of it, and you don't spend much time enjoying it.

So maybe Diablo isn't for you!
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I'm not a big Diablo fan. However, Diablo 2 with multiplayer LAN is quite enjoyable.
Diablo 2 is in my Top 5 favorite games of all time. I still play it actively with my wife on our LAN (she has a lvl 82 Sorceress this last go through, I went with the Amazon).
I was playing the coop mode in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with a friend last night. It was pretty fun to begin with, sneaking through the shadows and whatnot. But by the second level, our style of play evolved into something Holb would be familiar with.
After we accidentally discovered that you can knife enemies by pressing the R trigger with no weapon equipped, we became ninjas. Ninjas that eschewed from the path of stealth and instead bashed doors down and ran straight into enemy fire.

That, I'm convinced, is the BEST way to enjoy the coop mode in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, just like the best way to play Gears of War is to run up to enemies and melee/shotgun them point-blank.
There's nothing quite like going into a room and massacring its inhabitants by dashing madly up to them and knifing them with a buddy.
Starscream
author=Gredlen link=topic=184.msg3181#msg3181 date=1189365917
I was playing the coop mode in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory with a friend last night. It was pretty fun to begin with, sneaking through the shadows and whatnot. But by the second level, our style of play evolved into something Holb would be familiar with.
After we accidentally discovered that you can knife enemies by pressing the R trigger with no weapon equipped, we became ninjas. Ninjas that eschewed from the path of stealth and instead bashed doors down and ran straight into enemy fire.

That, I'm convinced, is the BEST way to enjoy the coop mode in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, just like the best way to play Gears of War is to run up to enemies and melee/shotgun them point-blank.
There's nothing quite like going into a room and massacring its inhabitants by dashing madly up to them and knifing them with a buddy.

That is awesome. Too bad I own only the first two Splinter Cell game, and even then I never played them. =(
All of the Splinter Cell games look exactly the same to me.

Are there significant differences between installments?
Starscream
author=Mewd link=topic=184.msg3183#msg3183 date=1189368298
All of the Splinter Cell games look exactly the same to me.

Are there significant differences between installments?

I wouldn't know seeing as I never played them. But from my understanding the multiplayer options increase dramatically, while the campaign mode is more of the same with a few new moves and, of course, a newer storyline.

However, your comment is pretty irrelevant. You could say that about Madden, GTA, Final Fantasy, etc, etc. They all are more of the same to the untrained eye.
The last Splinter Cell game, Double Agent, has moved away from the whole light/dark mechanic of sneaking around. Previously, you had a meter that showed you how visible you were. However, Double Agent moved the action into better-lit environments. You do still need to keep your noise down to sneak around, however.
The next one, Conviction, is looking to move away from traditional sneaking entirely. Instead, it seems you have to blend into crowds to go unnoticed.

Both of these games have taken away a lot of the near-future tech from the previous entries, leaving you with much more simple equipment to work with.
That said, I haven't played any of the Splinter Cell games to completion. I just sort of play them here and there when I get the chance.
Pages: first prev 123 next last