VIDEO GAME DISCUSSION! HERE! NOW!

Pages: first prev 123 last
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
author=Gredlen link=topic=184.msg3190#msg3190 date=1189386552
The last Splinter Cell game, Double Agent, has moved away from the whole light/dark mechanic of sneaking around. Previously, you had a meter that showed you how visible you were. However, Double Agent moved the action into better-lit environments. You do still need to keep your noise down to sneak around, however.
The next one, Conviction, is looking to move away from traditional sneaking entirely. Instead, it seems you have to blend into crowds to go unnoticed.

Both of these games have taken away a lot of the near-future tech from the previous entries, leaving you with much more simple equipment to work with.
That said, I haven't played any of the Splinter Cell games to completion. I just sort of play them here and there when I get the chance.

Gred: We need to hookup for some more Gears soon! :(

I NEED SOME FRESH ACHIEVEMENTS
I owned that game. I remember that i did end up beating it but i never played it that much. I started to go off splinter cell a bit.
author=rcholbert link=topic=184.msg3191#msg3191 date=1189392725
Gred: We need to hookup for some more Gears soon! :(

I NEED SOME FRESH ACHIEVEMENTS
This semester, I'm free on Sundays (as always), Tuesdays, and Thursdays!
Wednesday afternoons are also cool for me.
I thought that Double Agent was an excellent game!

I've been playing a lot of Blue Dragon recently. Halfway through Disc 1, I heard of the difficulty fix available in Japan, so I made a phoney Live account, downloaded the fix from the Hong Kong martketplace, and started a new game in Hard mode (I couldn't "upgrade" my current playthrough). I have to say, the subtle complexities of Blue Dragon really emerge when the enemies are difficult enough to require you notice them. Character customization becomes a lot more fun, too, because the game has a lot of game-breakingly powerful customization combinations, and on Hard mode, these game-breakers cease being game-breakers and simply became basic requirements to getting through the game. Some bosses are a uncomfortably hard, though.

I also continue to play Jeanne d'Arc on PSP whenever I am away from home and idle. Excellent handheld game and probably the best title on PSP! The only handheld game I have liked as much is Final Fantasy IV Advance, but I am a completely worthless Final Fantasy IV fanboy and my recommendation is assuredly biased.
I liked Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. It had awesome cel graphics. The water was awesome, everything was fraking cool!
I liked Wind Waker as well. Even though the graphics weren't as good as some of the previous games it was still a fun game.

Twilight Princess. Awesome.
Final Fantasy Tactics: A2 comes out here next month. It's the game I'm most looking forward to currently. Although every now and then I get ideas of buying RE4 for Wii.
I can't take FFTA2 seriously because of this character design.

That and I wasn't that fond of the first game. I found the game play to be a bigger persuasive argument that a fantasy world is no replacement for reality than the story tried to be.
More Odin Sphere! I'm coming to the end of this game at last. I've finished The Black Sword and started Fate.

I ended up breezing through Oswald's story. Although his Shadow Form does indeed suck for regular enemies, it totally rocks against most bosses and sub-bosses. I don't think there was a boss I didn't kill with it.
My main problem was the battle with the two Vulcans in the epilogue. I was on fire for the whole damn battle. Cyclone was pretty useful there, especially since it's fairly easy to keep hitting them back into it. It was really difficult to use Shadow Form during the epilogue.

I really liked Oswald. Most jRPG heroes are extremely idealistic or extremely angsty, but Oswald is neither. Although he does have some angst, it's only a focal point early on, where it makes sense. After killing Wagner, his main characteristic is his almost single-minded dedication to Gwendolyn, and it's hard not to be touched when he gets angry that she is treated like an object to further others' goals. I couldn't help but rewatch the end of Gwendolyn's story after seeing the last scene in Oswald's, where he wakes her up with a kiss. I'm a sap.

This seems to be the case for every new character in the beginning (except for Cornelius), but I'm not terribly fond of Velvet, as far as her attacks go. Overall, she seems pretty weak, and her special attack uses a lot of POW for relatively little gain. It seems like her midair combo and standing combo are a lot more effective than her forward combo. I'm sure I'll get used to her.

I've only played until the beginning of Chapter 2. Odette was pretty difficult for a first boss, and Velvet definitely wasn't able to keep up the damage while Odette was healing. I'm finding myself going through the timeline a lot now and trying to figure out when everything happens in relation to each other. It's especially confusing to figure out where and when the Three Wise Men are and what they're doing.
I like how playing through the game changes your perspective on what happened earlier, though.
FFTA's story was weak, but it was still a very fun game because of the battle system. The story was nice cute fluff. It was good at being that.

Nothing seemed too horrible about the linked character design.
author=Canuck link=topic=184.msg3437#msg3437 date=1190461961
FFTA's story was weak, but it was still a very fun game because of the battle system. The story was nice cute fluff. It was good at being that.

Nothing seemed too horrible about the linked character design.

Really? Personally, that just seems like the most ludicrous, over the top design I can think of. I mean, the nose, the hair, the clothing that make me think of rodeo clowns.

Also: About Odin Sphere. Velvet is probably the worst character in terms of damaging. Her special power is wearing barely any clothes.

It's REALLY jarring to switch to her after Oswald, who is ridiculously over powered compared to every else. (Although he really sucks at jumping.)
I was sort of looking forward to Drawn to Life before it came out, but I started hearing some not-so-positive impressions. I then decided that I've already got more excellent games than I can even play right now, with far more coming out, so there's no reason for me to get it.
Drawn to Life always struck me as a 'Sounds better on paper' idea. The artistic side of it doesn't appear to really impact level design much, and when it does, I imagine it to be largely arbitrary.

Also I can't draw at all and couldn't have enjoyed the premise much anyway.
The 3rd Vol of .Hack G.U it is pretty fun just got the new Costume.
Pages: first prev 123 last