VIDEOGAMES REDUCE CRIME

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=kentona
You could read the study. Or wikipedia page. Or Freakonomics. But the gist of the abortion causation was that people who would benefit most from abortions such as teens or singles or low incomes got an abortion instead of raising a kid as a single teen mom living in poverty. And sadly there is a link between kids raised in poor conditions and crime. :(

Ohhh, that's sad... but yeah, I was going to say, isn't poverty the number one cause of crime? Because people typically commit crimes out of need or desperation?

Also, I really don't buy this theory of video games reducing crime, specifically because of the above-mentioned cause of crime. If Video Games and technology do reduce crime, there's still this problem of poverty. Because poverty creates a barrier for those trapped in it to get easy access to technology.

There's also the problem of invented criminality, such as non-violent drug offenses, which at least in America, make up a huge portion of the prison population.

Proper education is also massively important to combating crime. Which, again, at least in the good ole US, has declined over the past two decades due to failed policies such as "No Child Left Behind" and "Common Core".

My views are very US-centric, but given America has the largest prison population of the world, I think it's relevant to point out all these failed policies as directly leading to our swelling private prison industry. Namely, a what-NOT-to-do guide when combating crime.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=drenrin2120
author=kentona
You could read the study. Or wikipedia page. Or Freakonomics. But the gist of the abortion causation was that people who would benefit most from abortions such as teens or singles or low incomes got an abortion instead of raising a kid as a single teen mom living in poverty. And sadly there is a link between kids raised in poor conditions and crime. :(
Ohhh, that's sad... but yeah, I was going to say, isn't poverty the number one cause of crime? Because people typically commit crimes out of need or desperation?

Also, I really don't buy this theory of video games reducing crime, specifically because of the above-mentioned cause of crime. If Video Games and technology do reduce crime, there's still this problem of poverty. Because poverty creates a barrier for those trapped in it to get easy access to technology.

There's also the problem of invented criminality, such as non-violent drug offenses, which at least in America, make up a huge portion of the prison population.

Proper education is also massively important to combating crime. Which, again, at least in the good ole US, has declined over the past two decades due to failed policies such as "No Child Left Behind" and "Common Core".

My views are very US-centric, but given America has the largest prison population of the world, I think it's relevant to point out all these failed policies as directly leading to our swelling private prison industry. Namely, a what-NOT-to-do guide when combating crime.
Video games make you too busy to entertain finding a spouse, in a world afflicted with poverty everywhere except Australia and a couple European countries, laziness is becoming desired.

I mean, it's a more moral alternative to MASS PURGATION.

That said, I've done literally 0% research into this so don't quote me on that because you'll possibly sound like an idiot and make me responsible after the fact.
Im just wondering if purgation is actually a word.

Edit: turn out, yes, it is.
author=drenrin2120

Then why is Canada trying so hard to copy it? :(
Of course video games reduce crime - you can't really bring yourself to steal, hurt, kill or harass in the city if everyone's hooked onto Farmville, Candy Crush or WoW like a life support.
BizarreMonkey
author=drenrin2120
Im just wondering if purgation is actually a word.

Edit: turn out, yes, it is.
Fun fact, if there is a dumb word that actually is confirmed by Oxford Dictionary to be legit, chances are I know about it.
So what you're saying is that Blizzard could take over the w- cause world peace by sending free copies of WoW with computers to people across the world?

Also I'm just throwing this out there, an old novel I once read had a line it in that went something like this. "Thin people aren't trustworthy. Oh fat people? No they are okay, not quick enough to be wicked." Could there be truth to this?
BizarreMonkey
author=Tyranos
So what you're saying is that Blizzard could take over the w- cause world peace by sending free copies of WoW with computers to people across the world?
I don't know about that! But i mean, do you have any idea how popular it is in China?

It is ridiculous. I'm sure their overpopulation has ceased some thanks to that, but I have no statistics to confirm this.

author=Tyranos
Also I'm just throwing this out there, an old novel I once read had a line it in that went something like this. "Thin people aren't trustworthy. Oh fat people? No they are okay, not quick enough to be wicked." Could there be truth to this?
Nope.

Because this fucking abomination exists.
BizarreMonkey
author=drenrin2120
Populo grosso turned on its head
I've never noticed you before but now I can't not notice you with that avatar.

I don't even know what it's from but I like it.

Oh right, vid gam, virence, um...

Who played Manhunt?

Because I didn't, and not just because it was banned in this country and I had no interest in it anyway!
author=BizarreMonkey
I've never noticed you before but now I can't not notice you with that avatar.

I don't even know what it's from but I like it.

Rick and Morty forever and forever a hundred years!
Pages: first prev 12 last