RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

@BizarreMonkey: What do you mean, rounded numbers? You could always keep the HP/MP, at least, relatively rounded, depending on how fast or slow you wanted it to grow.

Also, I just noticed now that the Witch-looking girl is singing. Looks like they're going to be relatively well animated.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I mean, if there's an astute manner they can be rounded to the nearest group of 10...

I don't know why I care about that so much... it's just a blast from the past with gam mak in document form.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.
I don't get why everyone is saying that the tiles are trash, they look pretty good to me.
Also, everything that was listed was something new from Ace. Why the hell would they announce the same mapping as Ace along with all this new stuff? No. I think they are going back to the XP way and when they say that it's automatically three layers, they mean that it is just the default layers for a map, which sounds more to em that there might be an option to modify how many layers a map has.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
VX's biggest problem hasn't been it's training-wheels map layering. It's the really awful autotiling system. It's ridiculous they are sticking with it.

I wonder if EB realizes that if they made a powerful tool, big games could be made with it. They seem more interested in Baby's First RPG.
It looks great, but... It still feels like RPG Maker VX Ace Plus...
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=El_WaKa
It looks great, but... It still feels like RPG Maker VX Ace Plus...

While I agree that it feels like it judging just from those screenshots, I'd hold off on that label at least until we see some more of those 60 new features they promised.

Besides, people will be making new public tilesets eventually, so I've never really seen uninspired RTP as an inherently bad thing about the maker.

EDIT:
author=Ratty524
XP's layering system was about as intuitive to use as photoshop/paint program layers. You just click which layer you want to work in, and you can place your edits, and boom, done. The layers above or below the ones you worked on were completely unaffected, and if there was something you needed to change, you'd just go to that layer and change it without any extra steps.

What? You could just choose which layer to work on? That... that sounds magical! Holy crap if MV does this I swear I'll never touch Ace again.
You can count on me creating resources for RMMV! ^W^)/
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
May we pray for Yanfly, he's got a lot of work to do...
Maybe this time the games won't lag if you put in more than a few pictures and some events...
Good point on performance, it'll have to perform a lot more efficiently to have the game play as well on a mobile device compared to a desktop. Or the mobile player will have to run differently, like changing the frame rate to 30 or 15 FPS. If this is the case the scripting backend will have to keep that in mind and can't rely on the assumption that the game's target framerate is 60/40 FPS and run accordingly.

It's not a difficult challenge code-wise nowadays but it could trip up some scripts to run incorrectly on mobile devices. It'll be interesting how it all pans out.
A style test for a 48x48 char:

Hmm
Looks nice, although the 48x48 thing was just theory I had. It's entirely possible that it's not that big. But it would be cool if it was.
48x48 is what they said sprites and tiles will be, well charsets haven't been a problem since XP since you can use whatever size you want I just hope they used the same method for tilesets.

There's apparently not going to be a new RTP this time around.

What worries me is that they haven't said a darn thing about scripting, this is either because they're reusing RGSS3, using a new language, or RGSS4 isn't done yet.
It's impossible there not to be a new rtp if they're making the grid size 48x48.
You'd think, but they're basically reusing packs released for ace, they're either redrawing them or just scaling them.

But then again there's that pesky NDA document they signed forbidding them to tell anything about the program unless otherwise announced information.
No they aren't. As shown in the images released, while some look familiar, they're not the same graphics as the Ace ones.
I would shank somebody buy this if the map backend actually supported different sized tiles with appropriate collision
author=GreatRedSpirit
Good point on performance, it'll have to perform a lot more efficiently to have the game play as well on a mobile device compared to a desktop. Or the mobile player will have to run differently, like changing the frame rate to 30 or 15 FPS. If this is the case the scripting backend will have to keep that in mind and can't rely on the assumption that the game's target framerate is 60/40 FPS and run accordingly.

It's not a difficult challenge code-wise nowadays but it could trip up some scripts to run incorrectly on mobile devices. It'll be interesting how it all pans out.

Seeing as I actually dropped making a game since it couldn't handle what I needed for the game to work (basically Harvest Moon type farming), this rings especially true for me. That plus it's really sad how they can't optimize a shitty 2D engine to run without lagging, even with 50+ events.
author=Rukiri
You'd think, but they're basically reusing packs released for ace, they're either redrawing them or just scaling them.

If you look closer in the right image here https://www.facebook.com/bk2128/posts/874222899317810
On the bottom left it shows the VX rtp on the left, and the MV on the right. The MV stuff is different, you can notice it more clearly on the house and the trees, but everything else looks different. It's a new RTP, although the same shitty style as the VX one