RPG MAKER MV ANNOUNCED FOR PC AND MAC

charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I agree with on what great red said there is a lot of collision stuff that if was fixed would be amazing and forcing to use a whole new tilesize after quite a lot of time seems a bit stupid if they don't allow you to change between them.
I'm pretty sure they're going to miss all the incredibly obvious and simple improvements that would actually make it an amazing engine and just cram a bunch of new features, remove features you actually loved, and write shitty default engine behavior all over again.

I don't really get it. It would cost you a whole lot less development to just improve what you have so that the existing features you loved are polished, you got new ones, you can open your old projects, etc. like pretty fucking much every other engine series out there. They're getting away with it almost entirely on brand recognition popularity alone these days.

Also. Time for The Price is Right! I'm going to wager a few internets that the release price will be $80.

I would shank somebody buy this if the map backend actually supported different sized tiles with appropriate collision

This. Even for many new indie releases, people use the 8px-16px scale to both save on art creation time and because the implied alias illusion can actually make those lower resolution graphics look more appealing than if they were 16px-32px or higher.

I don't see why it's surprising to have ios capabilities. ios users are a huge customer base. Anybody interested in making a commercial mobile game would want to tap into that market. Ignoring that would be an absolutely boneheaded move on any dev's part.

Not really. Android is even about to overtake Windows 7. The more ports you have to do, the harder the development becomes to make each port not suck. WIN32 + Android seems like a safe combo if you want to hit a wide market.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=GreatRedSpirit
I would shank somebody buy this if the map backend actually supported different sized tiles with appropriate collision

^^^^^This.
author=Red_Nova
author=Ratty524
XP's layering system was about as intuitive to use as photoshop/paint program layers. You just click which layer you want to work in, and you can place your edits, and boom, done. The layers above or below the ones you worked on were completely unaffected, and if there was something you needed to change, you'd just go to that layer and change it without any extra steps.

What? You could just choose which layer to work on? That... that sounds magical! Holy crap if MV does this I swear I'll never touch Ace again.

I see you have never used RMXP. :P

But anyway, I'd be in the same boat with you if MV restores that feature.
after dicovering quasi's movement engine i'm only going to touch rm's default map editor again if i want to go Dragon Quest real hard
I agree, the layering in mapping is just awful in Ace, and I know I consider it the biggest hurdle for myself in developing a game with it. Hopefully we get the old way back.
Don't forget, peeps, that more likely than not they'll listen first to what the Japanese audience wants, then the English one. So if there's something that's 'bad' it's probably because that was a big thing in the Japanese community that they really liked.
That's a fair point. I remember hearing once that people are more likely to buy products that are made in they're own country. Really, all it's overall safer for them to cater to their domestic audience then for the international. That being said, there is less of a chance of that happening in my mind, mostly because they seem to be releasing the english and japanese versions fairly close, if not at the same time.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Are they using a 48x48 grid? That would screw over a lot of resources unless there was an auto option to scale. I wonder if game Character Hub can easily modify this for sprites? Tiles on the other hand will get screwed. (Though you could scale them and hope to keep a good resolution.)

That may just be an unfortunate circumstance of a grid change. Sadly, if people want the bigger sprite, then this may be an unavoidable consequence of that.
Im still new to the RPG maker community, but im definetely hyped for this!!

It said that the Japanese version comes out in winter? So hopefully a few months after that the english version comes out.
I don't believe we have a solid release date at this time. I couldn't find anything on the website of the magazine and the issue itself isn't out yet, so we'll have to wait.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Perhaps the'll realize they live in the new age of video games and release the English version at the same time as the Japanese version. This would stop people from illegally translating engines.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=GreatRedSpirit
Good point on performance, it'll have to perform a lot more efficiently to have the game play as well on a mobile device compared to a desktop. Or the mobile player will have to run differently, like changing the frame rate to 30 or 15 FPS. If this is the case the scripting backend will have to keep that in mind and can't rely on the assumption that the game's target framerate is 60/40 FPS and run accordingly.

It's not a difficult challenge code-wise nowadays but it could trip up some scripts to run incorrectly on mobile devices. It'll be interesting how it all pans out.
I still don't know how I managed to make P:A as well optomized as I did. But I agree that this engine will definitely need more optimization stuff if it's gonna get proper use from me.

Finally I can have seperate battle sprites to map sprites for a sideview system.

This will be the first rpgmaker with scripting support and sideview battles.
Some new info was released, and apparently javascript is the new scripting language!
https://tkool.jp/mv/about/index.html

Oh, here's the official trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1tZfcKArcY

This kinda makes me want to use RM again for RPGs at least, wonder if we can link outside libraries?

I wouldn't worry to much about the 48x48 grid, parallax mapping is still a thing, and if you wanted to you can forgo the editor and write your tilemaps entirely in javascript "if they don't force the editor on you that is"...

Pyxel Edit is a great program and pretty much used for tilesets, yea 48x48 worries me but it's easier working on 24x24 tiles and just scaling them up but having my main characters at native size well almost as some of my characters might reach 48x58, but standard size will generally be 32x58 for adults, 32x32 for kids and smaller sprites.
author=LorSquirrel
I don't believe we have a solid release date at this time. I couldn't find anything on the website of the magazine and the issue itself isn't out yet, so we'll have to wait.

I read the japanese page(google translate), it said that it releases on winter at the end of the page.
ooooooohh!!! Javascript!
I don't know... I'm excited. I'm not sure if it's as powerful as rubi, but it probably is more so.
It's going to really be as much of a turning point as XP, the biggest turning point in the rpg maker series, was!
author=JosephSeraph
ooooooohh!!! Javascript!
I don't know... I'm excited. I'm not sure if it's as powerful as rubi, but it probably is more so.
It's going to really be as much of a turning point as XP, the biggest turning point in the rpg maker series, was!

We'll be able to turn individual scripts on and off, they're adding A PLUGIN MANAGER

brb digging through the attic for my old javascript book
author=Gleason
author=JosephSeraph
ooooooohh!!! Javascript!
We'll be able to turn individual scripts on and off, they're adding A PLUGIN MANAGER

hopefully plugins can be used to change the default tile size, that would be god send!

Also... signed up kindle unlimited and filled it with javascript books.
author=Rukiri
author=Gleason
author=JosephSeraph
ooooooohh!!! Javascript!

hopefully plugins can be used to change the default tile size, that would be god send!

Also... signed up kindle unlimited and filled it with javascript books.

I don't care for e-books, but I do have Prime...mayhaps a trip to the library will be in order soon. Can't hurt to learn my way around Javascript faster!
There's a good javascript tutorial on code academy... which is free. >.<)b
I've been slowly working my way through it for a while. Who knew it would come in handy? ^.^