[GAME MAKER] ENERGY CONSUMPTION IN GAMES

Pages: 1
Hello guys!

So in my game, Super Toaster X, you have limited energy. The following GIF explain how it works:

So basically, every action in the game uses energy which is the battery meter (walking, jumping, shooting, what have you).

At the moment, I'm working on implementing this so that it's a fun mechanic for the player.

The idea is for a more careful gameplay than Mega Man. Instead of shooting all the time like in Contra or Mega Man you need to be careful about your shots. Although powerful and long distance, missing should be penalized.

Basically, energy, unlike the Mega Man games is a precious resource.

I'm trying to figure out what should be the penalty for running out of energy.

This is what I'd like to discuss with you. I've thought about slower movement and less damage but perhaps it'd be too punitive?

You can recover energy in the game by picking up batteries scattered about:

Or by whipping Power Outlets which will recharge all of your energy:

I'm thinking of making the player lose a bit of health when using power outlet to avoid people abusing those recharge spots.

For those who have played Odin Sphere, you have a similar function in that game (which I just tried and found out). Basically, if you run out of power by doing various attacks, you become idle for a little while so that your power recharges.

So, another option is to have the power recharge after a short while. Some of it anyway, otherwise grabbing batteries and using Power Outlets would become pointless.

I don't think I've seen similar mechanics in other 2d platformers before so I'd like to read your input about this "energy consumption" mechanic. It's something I want the game to implement well.

So, as experienced game designers, what's your take on it?

You could just make the player die? And make enemies just slow you down from getting to the next batteries/reload pointss. Or instead of Health, make enemies sap out your energy
I think a sensible penalty (and a way to avoid getting the player stuck) would be that running out of energy causes your character to shut down briefly and refill energy a little. You're open to get hit by enemies and falling down pits etc. while charging, though enemy attacks won't knock you around.
Pages: 1