[POLL] A QUICK QUESTION ABOUT ADS AND RMN

Poll

How do you feel about ads on RMN? - Results

I am ambivalent
14%
I actually like them/support them being on RMN!
24%
I dislike them
4%
Ads? What ads? (I have an adblocker, and it's turned on for RMN)
20%
Ads? What ads? (I am an RMN donor)
34%

nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=jesjamadry
Obviously to me it's not a donation if I'm being forced to buy a membership in order to view certain content. I say do what you believe is best and keep up the good work.

Actually donation doesn't give you access to view content, everything that isn't staff locked is available to all members. Donation means you don't see the ads and you can amend your user title (that blurb under the profile picture). It's a you see less, not you see more system.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=kentona
I was thinking, like, annually, or semi-annually at most.

That'd be a great idea. :D

3) we have no idea how to price it, but were thinking like a buck or two for a week as part of a rotation/pool of about a half dozen user "ads"/banners...? We are totally open to suggestions

I'd like to see a dedicated forums user banner, if only because I'd like the option to see them as a donor, while ignoring the other ads :V (I'd also like the option of using it for my own twisted ends but that's neither here nor there.)

4) we have an RMN Store http://rpgmaker.net/store/ why does nobody know this

I'm aware of the store-- I've even used it :D -- it's just that the question's phrasing was a bit ambiguous and I don't know what it's saying, so I can't answer it. vOv
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I hate ads.

1) would you be aghast at the prospect of a regular funding drive on RMN?
Not really and If I have money to spare I'll help.
2) what are you thoughts on RMN selling their adspace directly to someone like Degica for them to hawk things you might actually want, like DLC or engines or whatever?
It makes sense since we are their target audience, but won't that turn people away from the RMN store? Whatever is the best for the future of RMN and the community.
3) what about RMN selling their adspace directly to people to hawk their games and projects??
That sounds cool and also makes sense. Just make sure the games are good.
4) what about RMN just showing a link to items in the derelict RMN store?
How about a bit of everything? Degica, Indies and RMN store? Is it possible?
5) what about RMN showing a link to DONATE NOW?
That could always be visible, in a non-intrusive way, a lot of people use those to give something back to sites they love.
6) what about nothing?
I'm a donor so that's the same to me.
7) >:(
LOL no.

author=Mirak
@GreatRed Spirit: Or make the website unusable if you have adblock on like the escapist did for a while.

I don't understand if you were joking or not, but that would turn a lot of people away from the site, people who could potentially turn off adblock if they liked the site.
author=kentona
OP Questionnaire thingy

Donor here, so my opinion is important and carries more weight!!! (not really... I'm kidding... please don't hurt me)

1) Depends what you mean by funding drive. It makes me think of Wikipedia, which always struck me as "hay we're desperate plz send monies." I guess it couldn't hurt though.
2) Heck yeah! This sounds awesome!
3) Another heck yeah! Can't wait to see those Final Tear 3 banner ads!
4) I'm kind of a "less is more" guy, so I'd rather see areas that aren't being used go away (but not necessarily the store)
5) See #1
6) *Shrug*
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I'm a donor, so I don't see ads. However, I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. I'd totally undonate if it meant I could give you guys ad money!

Not at all. I'd be glad to pitch in if I have any extra cash lying around.

2) what are you thoughts on RMN selling their adspace directly to someone like Degica for them to hawk things you might actually want, like DLC or engines or whatever?

iddalai made an interesting point. We'll get money from the adspace sale, but if people go somewhere other than the RMN store, then would they even realize we have a store?

3) what about RMN selling their adspace directly to people to hawk their games and projects??

A good idea, but that runs the risk of having money being a louder voice than content. Not sure if I'm cool with that. It'd really depend on how it was implemented. So... I'm tentatively ok with just the idea.

How often (if at all) does the store have sales? I know a LOT of people would be more willing to buy from the store if it was on sale.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done already, considering all the bonuses they get when they donate. Just keep it off the game pages, please.

6) what about nothing?

You said it yourself: RMN runs on donors. No donors means no RMN. As time goes on, donors may leave, and new users come in that would be willing to donate, but not know how.

So no. SOMETHING should probably be done.

7) what about RMN just going full on MEGA and putting ADS EVERYWHERE with popup videos and pages where you have to watch an ad to get to the content you want, and ads between forum posts, and words in posts and articles being highlighted which link back to advertising pages, and massive banner ads, and covering download pages with false DOWNLOAD NOW!!! image ad links?*

pls
I use Adblock, but I will turn it off if it would really help the site (although only one person doesn't make much of a difference)

I like this idea, if done well it would give some games more exposure and help the site at the same time...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm also a donor, so I don't see ads. However, to offer my opinion for what it's worth which is nothing...

I figure once a year or once every two years is often (and regular) enough.

This seems like a smart move, regardless.

Such as showcasing a Kickstarter or Greenlight sale on the Community/Development portals? Maybe!

Showcasing it where? On the "Games" portal?

As in a more prominent location than where it is (ie: the bottom of the page under "The Network")? I wonder if people even know that link exists!

6) what about nothing?

Nothing at all, or do nothing new? Huge difference, there! I mean, I feel that RMN probably needs to do something, and it... probably needs to do more than it does now. If that makes any sense?

7) what about RMN just going full on MEGA and putting ADS EVERYWHERE with popup videos and pages where you have to watch an ad to get to the content you want, and ads between forum posts, and words in posts and articles being highlighted which link back to advertising pages, and massive banner ads, and covering download pages with false DOWNLOAD NOW!!! image ad links?*

*this is never going to happen on my watch.

Might as well include adds when you click on any of the formatting buttons for posting! Click on the "Bold" icon! Get an add for... I dunno, some confidence enhancer?

Don't actually do this.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You should ask Enterbrain for permission to sell Hero's Realm.
Lato
Infantry for life!
We run on donors but ads buy silly stuff like games....no just no, if this site has to keep asking me for money when sites that are almost dead NEVER have then there is something wrong, just ask RPG maker VX Ace how they stay up, I never notice ads on them, and if we already have ads and it's still not enough for this site to stay up then maybe the site should not stay up...

And this is coming from someone that HAS donated to this site before...
shayoko
We do not condone harassing other members by PM.
i can't vote as none apply to me.
i do not mind the ads. i understand the need for them.
but i am not interested in them and don't really have free money to spend on things that are not necessary to survive.

they do not get in the way or even delay/make the experience tedious.
like background audio which you cannot stop is the worst.
ads like on YT where is plays a short video before a video click is fine too.

in any case do what you feel you need to do. this is one for my most visited sites i come to daily. i would be sad if it went away as it and its community has changed gaming for me. for the better.
@Lato
probably because RVAN is just a forum, which could be done on $5 a month host. RMN is a hosting service that has monthly data volumes measured in terabytes.

If RMN ever ran out of donations I would start funding it out of pocket as much as I can, but fortunately we have a solid memberbase who values RMN and is willing to chip in single donations and monthly donations to help reliably fund the server and backup costs.

RMN is not terribly expensive to run (approx $150 a month) as far as websites go. We've had two major funding drives in its 8 years of existence and we are going strong. Maybe instead of being an arbiter on what should and should not exist based on your narrow views, you should let people see what value there is to RMN and let them decide for themselves if it is worth it to contribute monetarily.
Lato
Infantry for life!
author=kentona
@Lato
probably because RVAN is just a forum, which could be done on $5 a month host. RMN is a hosting service that has monthly data volumes measured in terabytes.

If RMN ever ran out of donations I would start funding it out of pocket as much as I can, but fortunately we have a solid memberbase who values RMN and is willing to chip in single donations and monthly donations to help reliably fund the server and backup costs.

RMN is not terribly expensive to run (approx $150 a month) as far as websites go. We've had two major funding drives in its 8 years of existence and we are going strong. Maybe instead of being an arbiter on what should and should not exist based on your narrow views, you should let people see what value there is to RMN and let them decide for themselves if it is worth it to contribute monetarily.

And maybe you should just respect my opinion and not make a ass out of yourself. Is your view not narrow when you are trying to start shit? Good day sir!
I use adblocker and have it on at all times, because I don't trust any site to tone down the ads to acceptable levels. (I don't actually know what RPGMaker.net looks like without adblocker)
Maybe if the ads are text or still images only, I might consider turning it off. Even then, accidentally clicking on an ad will probably link you to some crap that auto-installs a bunch of adware and viruses onto your PC...
Lato
Infantry for life!
author=Sated
author=Lato
author=kentona
@Lato

And maybe you should just respect my opinion and not make a ass out of yourself. Is your view not narrow when you are trying to start shit? Good day sir!
Your opinion isn't worthy of respect when it's based on flawed information. If you don't like it then you know where the door is; good luck finding a better, more well-rounded RPGMaker site than this one.

Not worthy of respect huh? Yea you can go ahead and use that door for talking like that to another human being...
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Lato

You're not Gene Wilder and you never will be XD
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
The opinion card is probably one of the worst comebacks I have ever seen.
Yes he can respect it, but he can also disagree.
No need to get upset over small things.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
LLLLOOLLLL who's the one starting shit again?

(Hint it is not the one with the humorous pig avatar)
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Ha, that spiraled out of control quickly. There's nothing wrong with politely asking for money, eh?

Anyway, yea, I'd definitely donate if you ran drives once in a while. I tend to donate to things pretty sporadically, but stuff like donation drives are a good kick to get me to do something.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Non-donator here and I honestly forgot this site had ads. I'm like "this site has ads? Where?" Then I looked for them and I went "ohhh, there are ads."

They're pretty unobtrusive I think.