THE APPEAL OF JRPG'S

Pages: 1
Holy moley, I've been out of the loop for a while now. I've been playing Growlanser Heritage Of War for a while (It's annoying as hell sometimes.) That pretty much started this.. Thing.
What do YOU like about JRPG's?
Pesonally, I enjoy when the game has some nice characters or an unique, interesting setting. Alot of JRPG's tend to rely on cliche'd characters or settings that, well, make me cringe.

Disgaea 2 for example, made fun of many of these cliches (It still made me cringe sometimes.) And had alot of fun characters.

Persona 4 went full on JRPG with its "friends are everything" and the mascot character and the little kid who calls you big bro...

So, yeah. Speak out.
There's something about the aesthetic, feel, sound, and flow of a JRPG that's fundamentally different than a WRPG. It's hard to put into words right now, but I love both genres, but for different reasons.

For example, JRPGs have a very distinct 'cool factor', that when done well, is very appealing aesthetically. For example, Xenogears. However you felt about the story, or the game itself, it had a lot of 'cool shit' happening throughout; Id throwing the Yggdrasil on Bart, Grahf's dramatic entrances, the Raid on Nortune by the Hecht fleet, Weltall smashing through the skybridge in Solaris, and fuck, half of the Deathblows are pure eye candy. That type of cool is generally the monopoly of JRPGs, even though 'cool' itself is universal.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I think a lot of the answer depends on how one defines "JRPG" as a genre. Is it about where the games were made, a particular narrative style, a particular play style?

Rather than get into the nitty gritty of that discussion, I'll just list what I like about RPG videro garmes, which I think tends toward JRPG terrain:

Set character/narrative: While I don't mind a little leeway in the form of player input or silent protagonist, I tend to prefer having a more controlled narrative. I've tried some Western games that offer more choices in terms of character creation, and they always make me feel super-limited because my own playstyle isn't among those offered. (That, and the narrative has to be shallower to accommodate all the different choices.) It works much better to me to be presented with something more on rails in vidya gaem form; if I want something freeform, I'll turn to tabletop or online RP, where things are much better set up to accommodate the dumb things I want to do.

Turn-based battle: While I do enjoy the button-mashing fun of Tales of games, I really prefer having turns, so I can mull over strategy, or get up to go pee and not have to plow through a battle. Extra points if I get to micromanage all the characters! Of course, this means nothing unless there's a variety of battle styles available.

Heavy stylization: I've never been a huge fan of "realistic" aesthetics, and while I'm more sanguine with realism in characterization and narrative, goofy animu character tropes- especially hot-blooded heroism and the power of friendship!- are just so fun!

Looking at EVERYTHING: I... just like being able to check EVERY SINGLE DETAIL on the map and have the characters comment on it. There's almost no point, but I love it all the same.

That's probably the most general list I can offer that covers my prefs. I could always offer dissertations on what I enjoy in individual games, but I doubt anyone REALLY wants that. :V
That apostrophe on JRPGs is hurting my feelings tremendously. ;-;
;------;
;-----------------------;

I don't know why I'm particularily fond of JRPGs.

I mean, there is a thing about the pacing -- I love the pacing and progression found in JRPG gameplay, as wildly different as it can get (fom the first dungeon-town backtracking present in oldschool games to the plot-driven progression full of License Boards to the nonlinear progression accompanied by a somehow pleasing cacophony of random, hard to foresee post-battle statups)

Then, comes the wild settings and narratives. People say JRPGs often boil down to formulaic save-the-worlds and I beg to differ. The tolkien-esque WRPG staple is much more common on its genre than the... What even is the JRPG staple anyway? Greenlands and slimes? Despite loving some good old slime whacking my favourite RPGs have unique settings, narratives and themes.

-Chrono Trigger / Radical Dreamers / Chrono Cross deal with dimensional & temporal theories in a way that hasn't ever came close to be brushed upon by other games (I think. I'd love to find something just as great.)

-Valkyrie Profile puts you as a Valkyrie on a very interesting interpretation of Norse mythology, and has you recruit the souls of fallen heroes at the time of their deaths.

-Persona plays with materializing, making tangible aspects of the human consciousness in a very interesting way.

-SaGa Frontier lets you choose between 7 characters with unique stories and bosses to play in a shared world, playing with the concept that we all have our stories, and while we're all the protagonist of our own story, countless people cross by us everyday living their highly complex lives and stories, unfolding in ways that are completely and absolutely unknown to us. I think it's beautiful. Haven't you ever asked yourself what would've been if you & your friend or loved one hadn't, by coincidence or fate, wound up in the same place at the same time? You'd be living your stories in parallel, without them ever touching.

i could give other reaosns but i'm tired and itching to write on my fourth spacial dimension theory thingy so i'll finish this by here but yep i think JRPGs are extremely rich and innovative means of communication, more or elss, and I love how bold and daring JRPG devs can get (chrono cross is a fantastic and amazing game despite being so wildly different from chrono trigger, and if it were just chrono trigger 2 it'd be almost certain shit)

Playing a good JRPG is like taking part in a fantasy or science-fiction novel.

The others, CRPGs/WRPGs, are more game-oriented, where the player is more responsible for what actually happens in the "story."
The primary distinction between JRPGs and WRPGs is that you're given a character with a specific backstory and character development in a JRPG, while a WRPG lets you craft your own character that rarely has any background relevant to the plot. As such, the narrative of a JRPG is usually more focused on the protagonists while a WRPG has more depth in the world and major NPCs.

Also, you can't say that JRPGs typically start you in a rural village and make you whack slimes if its most iconic entry starts you in a cyberpunk dystopia where you fight trained soldiers and blow up a power plant.
author=LightningLord2
The primary distinction between JRPGs and WRPGs is that you're given a character with a specific backstory and character development in a JRPG, while a WRPG lets you craft your own character that rarely has any background relevant to the plot. As such, the narrative of a JRPG is usually more focused on the protagonists while a WRPG has more depth in the world and major NPCs.

Yeah, this.

I can appreciate the open-world lore of Western RPGs, but in general they just aren't for me. FF15 looks to be a stylistic hybrid of the two, which is pretty intriguing. I'm curious to see how they'll balance the two decidedly contrasting approaches in a single experience.
So it all boils down to its style, focused narrative and character development?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=LightningLord2
Also, you can't say that JRPGs typically start you in a rural village and make you whack slimes if its most iconic entry starts you in a cyberpunk dystopia where you fight trained soldiers and blow up a power plant.

LOL you seriously think FF7 is the most iconic JRPG?
author=Sooz
author=LightningLord2
LOL you seriously think FF7 is the most iconic JRPG?

It would seem like it was one of the game that popularized the JRPGs here. Then again I'm known for jumping my gun at pretty much everything so I might be wrong...
Well, FF7 is arguably the second most genre-defining/impacting game in its franchise, with the obvious first being FF1. (It's also far from my favourite, but I can't deny its impact. Much moreso internationally.)

And welp I believe that may be missing something, @Bakutex
Well, FF7 is, in my opinion, the most well-known JRPG there is. However, when people think of a typical JRPG, it'll look more like the Dragon Quest series.
For me it's two things. The first appeal is the getting stronger mechanic. Other games I tend to play are metroidvanias and so called ARPGs (mainly games like Diablo) which also has a get stronger mechanic. This is becoming less of a factor though as other genres tend to adopt this idea, although most games does so in a way that's less appealing to me.

The second appeal is the variance. There's towns vs dungeons. In towns there's also the difference between gearing up and talking to townspeople while in dungeons there's the difference between exploring and battles. I have noticed that more action oriented games are sometimes more fun, but I get tired of them much quicker. This means that I'm not fond of when a JRPG cuts towns out to allow the player to focus on exploring.

That said, I'm getting less and less fond of JRPGs because they also have traits I don't like, but that's for another topic.
author=Crystalgate
For me it's two things. The first appeal is the getting stronger mechanic. Other games I tend to play are metroidvanias and so called ARPGs (mainly games like Diablo) which also has a get stronger mechanic. This is becoming less of a factor though as other genres tend to adopt this idea, although most games does so in a way that's less appealing to me.

The second appeal is the variance. There's towns vs dungeons. In towns there's also the difference between gearing up and talking to townspeople while in dungeons there's the difference between exploring and battles. I have noticed that more action oriented games are sometimes more fun, but I get tired of them much quicker. This means that I'm not fond of when a JRPG cuts towns out to allow the player to focus on exploring.

That said, I'm getting less and less fond of JRPGs because they also have traits I don't like, but that's for another topic.

Something that dissapointed me in games like skyrim was its towns. If you think about it, you don't really have alot of reasons to go to a town.. Other than to sleep or get a blessing, most of the time I spent playing skyrim was just me roaming around.
I love it when games give you a reason to go back to a town, either because it's the only safe place around or because they add diversions that you can play when you're tired of slaying monsters.
I've been thinking about this a lot, since in designing my own RPG I found myself grabbing a lot of stuff from Western RPGs. So I really was asking myself: what is it exactly that makes JRPGs different, and why do I enjoy it.

The answer is the pacing and presentation of the plot. This surprised me, since if you asked me what I found most important in an RPG, plot would never top the list. In fact, it may even be near the bottom. But what I realized is that when we talk about games, we're talking about an integrated medium, and the structure/pacing/presentation of a plot impacts gameplay. And the bottom line is that I prefer how gameplay and plot works together in a JRPG.

More specifically, concerning JRPGs I'm talking about how:
1. Most plot elements somehow relate to your larger goal. Even if you're doing something unrelated, something will be said/discovered during the trip that relates to the bigger picture. Everything is woven and integrated.
2. You have direction. You know what you should be doing next, and understand why it's important.

Basically, I'm not aimless in a JRPG. It gives a sense of purpose to the gameplay. And not just "find my stray cat" purpose, but something much larger. And that's a good feeling.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Alot of what I'd write has been touched upon already: Direction, focus on playable-character development, town-dungeon patterns.

For me, one of the most appealing aspects of jRPGs is the inherent cheesiness. Games like the Tales series and Persona put a stupid amount of effort in demonstrating positive values such as trust, friendship, teamwork yada yada yada, and to be 100% honest I eat that stuff right up. It's a nice contrast to the cynicism of many modern, predominantly Western games.

...and then there's stuff like mainline SMT which is a whole different ballgame. Idk, there's just something really cool about those. I like anime? Is that a reason?
Sooz
author=Yellow Magic
For me, one of the most appealing aspects of jRPGs is the inherent cheesiness. Games like the Tales series and Persona put a stupid amount of effort in demonstrating positive values such as trust, friendship, teamwork yada yada yada, and to be 100% honest I eat that stuff right up. It's a nice contrast to the cynicism of many modern, predominantly Western games.

Same. Though the FF games seem to be inclined away from the happy cheesy scale, at least in the post-cartridge era.

I like anime? Is that a reason?

I think anime and JRPGs share a lot of the same stylistic and story conceits. (Much like WRPGs and popular fantasy fiction over here.) If you enjoy one, you probably also enjoy the other.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Sooz
Same. Though the FF games seem to be inclined away from the happy cheesy scale, at least in the post-cartridge era.
Happy? Yeah, maybe not so much...I'd class them as bittersweet. Cheesy? IMO very much so - out of the post-cartridge ones I've played (VII, VIII, X, X-2, most of XII), most have delved into a lot of the so-called 'positive' values I mentioned in my last post (especially VIII and X).

I think anime and JRPGs share a lot of the same stylistic and story conceits. (Much like WRPGs and popular fantasy fiction over here.) If you enjoy one, you probably also enjoy the other.
Yes, I think so too. As diverse as anime is, there are usually certain tropes that make one go, "Yeah, this is an anime alright", and I think similiar tropes hold for jRPGs.
author=Yellow Magic
author=Sooz
Happy? Yeah, maybe not so much...I'd class them as bittersweet. Cheesy? IMO very much so - out of the post-cartridge ones I've played (VII, VIII, X, X-2, most of XII), most have delved into a lot of the so-called 'positive' values I mentioned in my last post (especially VIII and X).

Yes, I think so too. As diverse as anime is, there are usually certain tropes that make one go, "Yeah, this is an anime alright", and I think similiar tropes hold for jRPGs.

It's been a long time since I've seen anime. Mostly because alot of them share the same tropes and overall cliches. But then there are alot of other good animes that I watched and that I loved.

I think anime might explain my love towards JRPGs.
Pages: 1