HELP IMPROVE RPG MAKER MV

Pages: first 123 next last
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty
Hey guys, check this shit out: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/146-rpg-maker-mv-improvement-boards/

Wanna make some improvements? Suggest them. Seems the publishing dev team got the go-ahead to fix things as they like, so... Instead of complaining here, actually give them some input on what you'd like fixed and how you'd do so.

You might be surprised by the outcome.
^.^)b

Great news! Looks like Degica has permission to make improvements to MV, and is taking suggestions! :D While I wish it had been better at release, maybe we can help make it a much better engine! Anyone who has been working with MV and has ideas on how to improve it, it would be really cool if you'd submit your ideas! Thanks! ^_^
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
Aw but we all like making frankenstein creations of plugins/scripts.

Seriously though this is great because I know nessy has a lot of stuff she'll be able to make happen now with the ok to help fix it up along with the others of the team!
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
This is awesome news that Kadokawa is giving Degica the leeway to fix up he engine.

Still... It's hard for me personally to come up with suggestions because my beefs with MV come from fundamental problems with the engine itself, and I'm positive it would be asking for the moon to fix those.

It's just the fact that this is VX Ace with a different scripting language, higher resolution, and multi-platform support is what kind of gets me. Right this moment, I'm still struggling to chose between MV and Ace for a project I have in mind, because MV doesn't really have a lot that distinguishes it from the previous maker.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Here's a rundown of what I'd be looking for from an engine, granted I've never actually tried MV because I haven't had any reason to yet.

• Mapping: Is it competent? Do the auto-tiles actually work? Can the shadows be managed without external support? If I'm going to be making a video game, I want to be able to make the video part as good as it can be.
• Variables: Can I store what I like in many different ways (enemies react to such a value/actions can be stored in values)? Scripting is great and all I'm sure, but I'm more of an old fart who wants to work with the tools he's handed instead of having to learn how to work this confounded computer box.
• Does it work: Can I easily manage the production of my game or is every step a momentous task? How much lag is there? Is there a delay between clicking the save button and it actually saving?
• Community support: If I have a question, can I ask people around me for a fix, or will I have to sign a ticket to be answered by the administration whenever they can get around to little old me?
• Good resources: Is the RTP going to allow me to make the game I want to make (as has been the motto of RPG Maker since the very beginning), or am I going to have to hire someone to do my graphics before I even have suitable placeholders? This includes not only graphics but a variety of music tracks to help establish the atmosphere of an area, regardless of whether or not the track is later replaced by something custom.
• KISS: Do I have to include everything for my game to work, or can I use small files and only bundle the ones I've used to keep my overall download application size to something reasonable for all users, and not just the ones who have terabytes of free space.
Oh freakin' sweet I have something I NEED to get off my chest. Gonna post it there ASAP.

Seriously, when I press the END key when editing in an event, I want it to jump to the end of the event! You have no idea how much that tiny omission has been driving me bananas.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
The system requirements, though. That's the thing that they need to fix and improve.
Rpg maker Ace is great. It's the better engine.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I want the ability to think what kind of game I want, and the engine to make it without me doing anything besides sending brain waves to my computer.
author=kory_toombs
I want the ability to think what kind of game I want, and the engine to make it without me doing anything besides sending brain waves to my computer.

Yeah, me too buddy. :( Along with an ice cream/hot chocolate/money generator and a partridge in a pear tree.
Ratty524
author=KatanaHiroshi
The system requirements, though. That's the thing that they need to fix and improve.

The system requirements are about on par with a typical PC game. It's still a bit poorly optimized, however, considering that playtesting and even working in the event editor causes lag on high-end PCs.
Vaccaria
author=Ratty524
author=KatanaHiroshi
The system requirements are about on par with a typical PC game. It's still a bit poorly optimized, however, considering that playtesting and even working in the event editor causes lag on high-end PCs.

Apparently, it's for the new-gen computers. I know that it's on par with an actual PC game but seriously, Tomb Raider's 1 GB RAM requirement > RPG Maker MV's 2 GB RAM requirement.

It would be better if they actually optimized it for the low-end computers. After all, they're still a lot of people who use low-end computers and it would be a problem just sending that opportunity to waste.
It's the Fallout 4 of RPG Makers. It might still run on your shitpile computer but it ain't gonna run well... as with every program that has ever existed - it has it's required settings... which are spelt out on the pages so people should check that shit before they buy it. Like, seriously? Do you buy games without checking to see if they'll work on your system? Then why not game engines too?
>.<
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I often use this website to match system requirements:

http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

But right now they only have VX Ace.
Here's what I can say though. Craze would be happy to know I have the autotile issue listed to be fixed.
Ratty524
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Here's what I can say though. Craze would be happy to know I have the autotile issue listed to be fixed.

THAT'S a step in the right direction. :)
Vaccaria
author=Liberty
It's the Fallout 4 of RPG Makers. It might still run on your shitpile computer but it ain't gonna run well... as with every program that has ever existed - it has it's required settings... which are spelt out on the pages so people should check that shit before they buy it. Like, seriously? Do you buy games without checking to see if they'll work on your system? Then why not game engines too?
>.<

I played Resident Evil 4 on my shitpile computer once and when I entered the lava room, things get laggy af.
And plus, it would've been better if they try to at least make MV run properly. I really don't like the lag spike though. I know that some people really don't care about the system requirements as long as they are entertained. And overall, it's becoming the Fallout 4 of all pixelated stuff, so I have to agree on that part.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Ratty524
author=Archeia_Nessiah
THAT'S a step in the right direction. :)

That makes me happy too ;u;
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Fix up autotiles. Nuff said.

Edit: Welp it's already been suggested. That's good. I hope they fix the tile errors in the RTP while they are at it too.
I don't suppose "restructure the engine to not run on a 100 MB webkit" is within the realm of possibility, is it?

Those file sizes are definitely the one thing I want to see changed. Especially when you can get a whole RTP-less Ace game to run on ~10 MB.
Though I think its an improvement over Ace, I wished the character generator had more options and features, while ace had weird characters when you made them, it had more features at least in my eyes it did.
Pages: first 123 next last