FOR GAME CREATORS HERE: HOW DID YOU GET YOUR START ON HOW ARE YOU NOW?

Pages: 1
Talking about any engine to make games or simply if you are doing one from a scratch, I mean. Also could be if you part of a team with an specific job, of course. Just curious about other users here, if they want to share their story of course. How did you begin with game making and how were the old times and how have things changed up to the present? Any ideas for the future or projects? Has there been a game in the community that inspired you or just loved? If you have made games what would you call your favorite and your worst?
unity
You're magical to me.
When I started back when I was a teenager, I was messing around with RPG Maker 95. A few months later when I got ahold of RPG Maker 2000, I made an entire game over the course of one summer. I didn't plan anything and made everything up as I went along! It was pretty bad XD;;;

Things are a lot different now. I take game ideas and put them aside, and when I'm ready to make one into a game, I make a decent-sized outline of everything major I want in the game, from the story, the location, to notes on the gameplay. From there, I start gathering/making resources and start the new game proper in the game maker itself (usually VX Ace these days!)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Lots and lots of patience...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
In middle school I downloaded a bunch of GAME MAKING PROGRAMS because MAKE GAME!!!! And then I found irc and started talking to #rm2k. One thing led to another and now I have the highest non-staff post count on this website as well as 30k+ downloads of my projects.

A lot of old stuff was slap-dash, as I never could stay with one thing for long. It was all about toying around, seeing what worked and didn't work in the wild world of non-traditional RPG makery. Now I'm working on a pretty serious project with a good friend. We don't intend to sell it, but hopefully it will be something we can say "look we made this" about and use it to start selling.

My favorite project is Wine & Roses because it has a talking skeleton as the antagonist. It also features wolf facts. I have a sequel written that I'd like to make sometime in the nearish future, but the previously-mentioned project takes precedence.

My worst is either Saga Mara Talon or Obelisk: Devilkillers. They're pointless, just fighting for the sake of fighting. There's no charm or personality in either, which makes me hate them. I keep them uploaded as testaments to my idiocy.

Games in the community that have inspired me are, in no particular order, Leo & Leah, Star-Stealing Prince, and Deltree's whole universe. There are many people who I like and who give me little bursts of inspiration, but when I look at RMN and what I'd recommend to people who want to know what RM* can do, I don't think you could do better than L&L or SSP. Neither game is perfect, but that's not the point.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I've always wanted to make games as a kid and would draw a bunch of stuff related to the game ideas I had. Sometime early in my teens I took a programming / game design summer course, and while I didn't do well at the former, the latter was interesting as I found my first relatively easy-to-use game-making program (Multimedia Fusion). I made quite a few short, buggy and forgettable shit with it, then I discovered RPG Maker XP in my mid-teens and I've been an RPG Maker fan since.

Nowadays, I mainly use VXAce for stuff and I'm exploring Stencyl a little bit here and there.

I've bounced between... 4 or 5 different communities prior to becoming a regular on RMN. It's definitely not the same as it is today, particularly that before RPG Maker got an official forum, people regularly went to three major giants within the community: rpgmakerxp.org (Now known as HBgames), Rpg Rpg Revolution, and Creation Asylum. Pretty much all of those are dead/near death now that the company website includes their own boards now.

Aside from that, there was a bit less of a "commercial focus" that the community had during the prominence of RMXP, even less with 2k/3. We were almost like a modding community who would regularly share resources and advice on game design with each other without a whole lot of higher ambitions behind it. It was somewhere around the time of VX's release that the indie-scene as a whole started to explode, and RPG maker was becoming more of a viable option for developing commercial games, and was practically codified by the time VX Ace was released. I'd venture to say most people outside of the community didn't even know what RPG Maker was until the start of a saturation of commercial projects.

Note, in my view, this is a great thing in that it allows what was once a kind of secluded community to get exposure and actually make something of themselves outside of joining the AAA industry. The con, however, is that there are now many members who put in such a strong business focus on the entirety of the sub-culture that kind of feels alienating to those who would rather stick to using the tool as a hobby, but the the helpful people still exist.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
When I was a little kid, my grandparents got me a Commodore 64. For those too young to remember, C64 was designed to make your own video games on. I always did little things with it, but it wasn't until I was a teenager I started dabbling in C++. I only hobbied and never got very far. I made a few text games, and made a flying shooty game that looked like crap.

Then, I got into RPG Maker back in March 2013 for reasons I have mentioned before. I think this is probably the most dedicated I've ever been to gam mak.
I came to gam mak very late. Just three years ago, at the ripe old age of 26, starting with VXA. Prior to that, I had zero programming or game design experience, no education on the subject, etc. I kinda just screwed around with it and worked on projects here and there.

About six months ago, my hours at work were drastically cut so I didn't have much else to do but sit around and practice doing this. Which I guess isn't the best reason but it's something to do between sending out resumes.
I started RM'ing back in 2009 at the age of 21 with RMXP with a fan-game ( quite a number of us started like that ), just to experiment with the engine but I didn't become start making original works until early 2011. Like most devs here, I didn't have any background in programming, art or even writing. I'm basically self-taught in everything RM-related. =)

I was on quite a number of RM forums as well, going under various alias' but never really meeting RM success until I made Enelysion in RMVX, which took me 4 years to complete. It put me on the map as a developer ( it's mainly recognised for its visuals and music selection ) and I haven't looked back since.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Played A Blurred Line - started liking homebrew RPGs. Picked up 2k/2k3, made a couple 1-min walk sims. Time passed. Picked up VX, tried to make a non-linear puzzle mansion game, it was pretty terrible. From the beginning I realized I found most battles of the time boring, and liked designing puzzle games. Battles are better nowadays in modern RM games, they're way more interesting and require more strategy in general. Had a few really ambitious ideas about a life sim game that I still have in my head. The game was gonna be called The Dying Life of Thom Walters or something like that. It never hit the editor.

I wanted to join a game making contest so I found one on RPGMakerVXAce.net. Made Maximus Jones, a silly little game with 5-minigames inside it. It got 3rd prize for that contest. Then I created Quincy & Amber for an Autumn Fest contest on RMW, and it got honourable mention. Then I created Account Mu, a black-and-white puzzle game for VX Ace, for the IGMC 2014, the game I'm probably most proud of and I'm still working on it today.

I have a game called Paper Thin which is mostly under wraps but it's hard to make games nowadays because of my 9-to-5-er. Then I created a game called Project1 which is extremely meta and my most personal game to date.

I have an unfinished game A Conversation which is an intimate interactive conversation game as a spiritual-prequel-of-sorts to Paper Thin, which is kind of like supposed to be my magnum opus (except, for all that it looks like, Account Mu will most likely be my swan song).

The old times I felt were more constrained to a certain way of game making, whereas now, people are more open to all sorts of genres. I got the feeling people were making the same type of game over and over, whereas now you see a lot more variety. I'm finally seeing puzzle games that make me envious, especially from the likes of NeverSilent or Grettgor or Artie or whoever else I forgot to name drop because I'm so clumsy. I want to see more of those.

As of late I've become way more enamoured with the idea of telling meaningful emotional stories. I haven't had the urge to tell a story in the past - historically I've avoided the storytelling portion - but recently I've just had the urge to craft characters and storylines and I have no idea how to get there so that's my struggle at the moment.

How about you?
An old friend of mine said to me "look what I downloaded today" And showed me like, five minutes of RM2K, and I said to myself "I want that" So I downloaded it, you're easily talking 2003/4, and now I'm still using 2K3 (the official version, though)
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Riding unity's coattails :V

I'm sort of poking at my own games, but I'm most comfortable doing graphical assets and letting other, more competent souls take care of the actual game design. I'd probably help more teams if I weren't trying to actually make money as an artist, so gettin real paid or doing my own stuff takes precedence. :/

ETA:
author=pianotm
When I was a little kid, my grandparents got me a Commodore 64. For those too young to remember, C64 was designed to make your own video games on. I always did little things with it, but it wasn't until I was a teenager I started dabbling in C++. I only hobbied and never got very far. I made a few text games, and made a flying shooty game that looked like crap.

Oh dang, I have super happy memories playing games on Grandpa's C64. Ugh, so cool.
Well, around 2005 I had bought RPG Maker 3 for the ps2 for the first time, I tried making my first RPG called Demons & Angels, never finished (or even my novel for it) I later stopped and years later I got RPG Maker VX Ace because I wanted to get into game design since I didn't have a high-school diploma. And fast-forward to now.

My game making has gotten better over the years, and I still work as hard as can to try, and make something of my life.
My first RPG Maker was the original RPG Maker for the Playstation console. I would spend so many hours and days working on games back then. It was brutal. Very little customization (graphics only, if I remember correctly), and you had to enter text by controller. You got used to that last part, so long as you set cursor speed to the fastest available, but it was still difficult.

After many test projects and tiny games, I eventually made a game called "Autumn Winters" for the PSone. Had about 3 hours of gameplay. Then I went on to make "Autumn Winters 2", which was about 6 hours, and then I worked on "Autumn Winters 3" and that never got finished (lost interest), but it was going on hour 8.

Of course back then I never had a tool to take the save files and put them online, so nobody ever got to play them but me. Now, we all have broadband internet and cool computer programs, so it's no longer an issue.

The current game I am working on, Veritas, borrows a couple main characters and some ideas from the old PSone games. Of course I'm much older now and the story is far different, but it was something I always wanted to make.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
The very first game i made was a choose-your-adventure powerpoint presentation, i made it when i was 13. I didn't really have the drive to actually want to make games, i just wanted to make a story that my friends would find enjoyable.

When i turned 16 i learned of game maker, and made my first official game in it using premade graphics i found on the internet. It was called "The Wizard Who Lost His Keys" and it was a simple game where you moved a little wizard along a series of dungeons with hazards and traps that would kill you if they touched you.

Then i made a bunch of experimental games in other engines. I tried multimedia fusion and the games factory but i didn't like their interfaces and felt limited with what i could do. I tried Adventure Game Studio and made two point and click games, again, with premade graphics, but i always gravitated back to game maker.

It wasn't until years later when i learned about rpg maker 2003. I loved it. I always wanted to do an rpg but game maker gets really complex when you try to do something like that and since i'm no programmer i wasn't able to do it until i found that engine. I made loooots of spanish games with the RTP, most of them about 5 minutes long. Around summer of 2008 i started doing other things, and game making stopped being attractive to me because i never got a sense of fulfillment from any of my projects.

Then later in 2013 i opened game maker again and toyed around with it. With some effort i finished my first original game, "Pixelman", it was a very simple game with simple graphics, but it was the first thing i did where i didn't use any prefabricated assets. Then i stopped making games again until october from last year when i submitted my first RMN game, "Super Pantito". At the moment it has been downloaded 81 times, which is a lot more than i can say for all of my other games.
I am surprised a lot of people have been since the very beginning of the community with the RPG Maker 2000 boom... or perhaps even that. When you think that was 16 years ago... it's a pretty long time.

author=Ratty524
Aside from that, there was a bit less of a "commercial focus" that the community had during the prominence of RMXP, even less with 2k/3. We were almost like a modding community who would regularly share resources and advice on game design with each other without a whole lot of higher ambitions behind it. It was somewhere around the time of VX's release that the indie-scene as a whole started to explode, and RPG maker was becoming more of a viable option for developing commercial games, and was practically codified by the time VX Ace was released. I'd venture to say most people outside of the community didn't even know what RPG Maker was until the start of a saturation of commercial projects.

Note, in my view, this is a great thing in that it allows what was once a kind of secluded community to get exposure and actually make something of themselves outside of joining the AAA industry. The con, however, is that there are now many members who put in such a strong business focus on the entirety of the sub-culture that kind of feels alienating to those who would rather stick to using the tool as a hobby, but the the helpful people still exist.

Too bad too hear that some people take game making too seriously. I mean, nothing wrong with going for a commercial or even professional focus, but no need to clash with people doing it for fun. I remember the very old days were pretty fun in some regards: there was a constant flood of games in sites like gamingworld, most of them pretty bad, but trying them out and seeing things was great and sometimes when you found the genuinely good ones it was awesome. Too bad many games never got past demo stage (I guess is still common today,, though). Is kind of a letdown, since I got back into game making last year I've been tracking down the oldies I liked, and many stayed as demos and since 10+ years passed they will, obviously, stay as demos.
well it started with hyper light drifter.
then i met radio the universe.
then i met sixe.

it then continued to go down hill

(i messed around in RPGMAKER, Game Maker Studio, Unity, Photoshop, Graphics Gale, i started writing ideas down and paper.
also partake in some creative writing too on this very forum. also have done a number of 'game jams' in rl)
It started long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

I picked up XP and started messing around with it. Made a short little RPG called Something or Another. No, that's not a joke. I then went on to make a series of small, slightly horrible games that make me cringe today. Seriously, some of my design choices back in the day were laughable. But most of us probably have memories of those days. Eventually, I went on to VX, where I dabbled for a bit but ultimately lost interest for a few years. Skipped over VX Ace; grabbed up RPG Maker "Master Race" instead. Now, after at least ten years, I am working on releasing my first full-length RPG called Heartfire: A Born Again Saga. Hopefully people like it. But if not, it's back to the drawing board.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The first game I ever made was some crappy shooter made on the family Commodore 64 when I was, like, 7. The program was Shoot 'em Up Construction Kit (go fig!). I also recall a (bad) drawing of what the HUD for Might and Magic 3 might look like. Darigaaz, I wasn't even close.

I've also made games in Forgotten Realms - Unlimited Adventures (I still have that engine!) and maybe some other game-makers including what I now call TsuK. I took a break from gammak for years on end. I re-caught the bug up sometime in 2008 when I came up with the initial ideas for Nakaishi Wars and Matsumori Days.

*Edit: I had a few games in XP (the aforementioned games), but, it wasn't until VX that I started to publish stuff, even if it was mostly crap. VX Ace fared better for me. Darigaaz, I think I published about twice as many VX Ace games as I did VX?

Anyway, as of this moment, I've got two projects on the stack waiting to be resolved. One is Oracle of Askigaga and the other is, wait for it, Nakaishi Wars (now in VX Ace!).
Pages: 1