PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD, BECAME TOO CRAZY :(

Pages: first 12 next last
Hello, my name is Wulfee and I am a writer. I am looking for a couple positions to be filled to support my lack of knowledge and skill in those respective areas. The engine is RMMV. I have no completed games, just 2 unfinished projects. This team project will last anywhere between 2 to 4 months depending on various things. Upon completion, I quickly want to move onto my next project. This project mean's a lot to me, as will the team that rides along with me.

Character Artist - Art of characters including main cast, npc's, monsters, and animals.

Scripter - Creating or importing scripts to make gameplay more entertaining. An interactive active battle system, day-night, and anything else.

Writer - A support writer to assist me in making the story. Mainly would give opinions in regards to the characters, character development, story progression, and etc.

Sound Artist - Mainly for making the music of the game. Piano would be a preferred instrument as I feel it matches the game. Voice isn't something I feel necessary, but will consider it a plus.

BG Artist - The map, various locations, main menu back ground, decorations, environment, and much more that has to do with the world. Also BG of battles, maps, and support artist.

So far those are positions that I need filled for this project. This will be a small non-profit project, mainly to establish a team really than anything else. But Tabi No tomoyo is something that i've had passion to make for a long time. So i will respect it as such. Thank you for your time and as always, your free cookie :)

Feel free to contact me if you feel interested in working on this with me. :)

A brief story of Tabi No Tomoyo-
Naolia is the world in which we live in, filled with beautiful oceans and wondrous mountains. Every child of mother Naolia is born with the gift of Mjor, something now frowned upon in our current age for the destruction it wrought centuries ago.
The guild of Dyne Lan, founded by Dinsfort Eisenhart, watches over the protection of its homeland Darfeng. Kanaro Wishtel, also known as the "Master of Lost Pet Finding", encounters an impossible quest as he walks in his home guild. A Dark Mafti suffering from amnesia requests help in finding the place she belongs, where she could call home. Found and raised by nomadic Mafti, Niafon Laffel was givin warm hospitality until she began showing signs of Mjor. This forced her to undertake a sacred ritual known as the Ceremony of Moon, where she must travel the world alone in search of the place she belongs.

Ave Ra Naolia
Gift Of Naolia, also known as Mjorge. Mjor are essentially 'replicas' of elements given to every being born on Naolia. The main elements are Fire, Wind, Earth, Water, Holy, and dark. These main elements can be further advanced to sub-types by experienced users. These would include Ice, lightning, etc. Mjorge is given to everyone at birth, but only those whose Mjor has awakened can use it's powers.

Naolia
Finally uniting the warring lands, the Gelstadt Empire now seeks to conquer and occupy Dragonia to the south. Gelstadt is known for it's infertile lands due to constant snow and low temperature, which forces them to constantly import expensive rations. Darfeng is a small village in Dragonia, nearing the northern coast. Constant trade happens between Darfeng and its sister town Daggerfang, a small island to the northeast.

Characters
Kanaro Wishtel - Aro was born in the small coastal village of Darfeng. Adopted as a child, his relationship with his father Jiro “Ji ji” was more of a master and his apprentice. Aro has always dreamed of exploring the world as his father had during his youth, but this soon changed as he was recruited into the newly opened guild of ‘Dyne Lan’. Now an experienced guildsman, whom can find lost pets like no other, he's grown tired of trying anything new. Even the adventuring he once aspired to is now a pain as he states "The world is too big." His helpful nature however, will never dull.
Niafon Laffel – Having no memories, Nia was taken in and raised by a tribe of nomadic Mafti. Unlike forest-born or high-born Mafti, the nomadic Mafti's were dark with long ears just like Nia. However, when Nia began showing signs of Mjor she was forced to take a Ceremony of Moon. This included traveling the world alone in search for where she belongs.
Aino Flammel - Aiko was the name her mother called, whom she loved dearly. Aiko's mother was known as the ‘Flame Witch’ whom protected the southern peninsula village of Fraktaly against raiding pirates and barbarians. she however was very ill and the village barely held off against a raid, losing many in the process. Now Fraktally has lost its independence and was consumed by the Travarium Kingdom. Aiko's mother soon passed away, leaving Aiko alone in a village whom despises them for their failure. Yet Aiko believes her mother was strong till the end, and hopes that one day she will be able to show the same strength and love.
Kentaro Amemaru - Kenmaru is a decorated Argos warrior, known for his fierce valor in war. Having served his duty to his country, he laid down arms to raise his child Taiyo. However, the lands of Argoti are always in turmoil and even the tiniest of spark could result in decades of war. That very war is being played by a mysterious hand, threatening the hard earned unity the Argoti managed to secure from its bloodshed. Taiyo was poisoned during a small skirmish in their homeland, forcing Kenmaru to leave his home in search of an antidote.
Dinsfort Eisenhart - Dina was born to a noble family of highly decorated generals of war, and was supposed to be heir and continuation of the bloodline. Yet her family was disappointed at her lack of strength, as well as the fact she was born a female. Further discontent forced her to leave when she showed signs of Mjor. With nothing save for a few books from her past, she travelled to the coastal village of Darfeng. There, she opened the guild ‘Dyne Lan’ to pass her time with her new friend and partner Aro.
Rabotics P117 - rabo is a prototype Belatros, a machine created from Mjor to serve as a puppet for its masters. This technology was ancient and almost everything aside from a few artifacts are lost. Rabo however awoke tied to a destroyed pillar, and what more realized that it had its own thought. He doesn't remember anything or anyone, but has a feeling he was serving a young master during his initial trials. Rabo is more excited than worried of the new world, and though machines are considered evil during his current era, he's determined to explore every inch of the world. Hoping to find his lost brothers in the process.
Selphy - Sel is a forest-born Mafti but also a Frite, whom has wings and is blessed with Holy Mjor. Because of this, she became a queen like figure whom is to be locked away and used for ceremonies of healing and blessing. Yet slowly this led to darker paths as the council that was meant to protect her, began to believe in delusions of creating more blessed off springs and making profit from other kingdoms. Trapped in her cage, Sel slowly loses what little she had left in hopes of ever seeing the warmth of light.
Shanatos Ankstain - Shana was born of the dark Mjor, which changed her appearence though only by skin tone. Beings born of the dark Mjor specialized in curses, and in death. Abandoned as a child, Shana was raised by her Anktos servants. Growing alone and attached to her dead companions, many feared her and many more sought after her life. Shana grew distrust in other beings, and tries to share her views through terrorizing inhabitants whenever she can.
Xing Fai - The emperors daughter and last line of his dynasty, Xing was told not to waste her life near a fading legend. Instead, the emperor instructed her to soar the skies as a fledgling Fei'Xuang and grow into a legend of her own. Determined to burn brighter than her beloved father, Xing set out alone to carve her name into the world.
User was warned for this post
unity
You're magical to me.
Yay cookie! :D Very cute drawing!

Have you ever completed a game before? What are your qualifications for leading a team?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
unity
Yay cookie! :D Very cute drawing!

Have you ever completed a game before? What are your qualifications for leading a team?

So goes the refrain...

XD
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm kinda sad unity's post wasn't just "Have you ever completed a game before?" like usual haha.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I foresee thread lock, lack of detail.
Hey, if this gets off the ground- My service is yours. I am a college student in Creative Writing and I also dabble with art.
Regarding your questions, no i haven't completed any games. I had 2 projects prior which were put on hold because i lacked resources and teams. This was back when i was using RPG Maker VX, now i switched over to RPG Maaker MV.

Regarding my qualities of being a lead, I'll just be honest. I respect those i work with, and I do listen to their opinions. I'll be making decisions based on several factors. Being a free project, it boils down to whether the team is willing to stick with it or bail out. This will be a small or average game with it's main purpose to gather a team for a bigger project I have in mind later.

I know many are looking for accomplished creators with a few games under their belts, I don't have that. All I have is an engine, a forum, and my own skills. But I do appreciate everyone who takes their time to read and post. As always, I'll try my best to answer any questions, and be as detailed as possible.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Yeah see, we're not looking for "accomplished" people because almost everyone here fails to sport that title. That question is asked because team efforts just never work if the lead doesn't know what it takes to even complete a single project by themselves.

Real life is not an rpg, you don't go into the local tavern and gather a bunch of strangers to engage into a project that wasn't even talked about in detail and expect them to be devoted to it. If you want a team the first thing you do is engage people. Get to know them. Absolutely everybody here has an idea of their own, if they don't see you giving them a reason for it, they won't put their own ideas aside to work on yours. If this site is lacking on something, it's on people willing to join *any* project Just Because.

I mean, if you want, everyone can opt for not replying to your thread and letting you learn this lesson by yourself when you see that your efforts are not giving fruit, but i'd personally rather point you in a general direction. More devs to give variety to this scene is quite welcome.

People without any sorts of skill in the art, programming and music department still manage to make short games by themselves, there really is no excuse as to why you can't demonstrate to the people here that you're competent enough to carry a project by yourself, no matter how small it is.
In Chrono Trigger I remember feeling a mixture of all sorts of emotions, from slimy sense of duty to heart breaking fake dolls. I want to create something that has those emotions I felt in my youth. The project will finish one way or the other, how hard can it be to complete a game than it is to get it rolling with like minded and enthusiastic members? Besides, it can't be any harder than getting to 100 on those jump ropes in FF9. Either way i'm still excited to meet others interested in joining in.
What we're saying is that you need to have the skills to cover the bases in case someone drops out. It's your idea so of course you're going to feel the most strongly about it, but people have various reasons for leaving a team - from being sick to getting busy to having changes in their life to losing interest. It's just what happens. If you can't cover their bases when they go, you're going to be left with a game floundering in the water.

Thus the question as to whether you've anything to show that you can be relied apon to complete the game - so that your other team mates aren't left to have wasted their precious time when someone else drops out. That is time they could have spent making their own games or doing other things with their life. Time that they'd now lost.

Honestly, the fact that you say you have two games that you never finished works against you. Maybe make a small game for yourself to show your own abilities so people can see what you're capable of. Interact with people here so that they can get to know you and build up some trust. Play some games to better judge where your skills lie in comparison to others.

If you're really determined to make -this- game then make a start on it. Use stand-by resources and then when you've got about half done release a demo to show what you have, that you're determined to see this project through and so that people can see what the game is about and how it will work. Even without custom everything it'll be able to get across the ideas that you want.

You ask how hard it can be? Well, why aren't you making it by yourself? It can't be hard, right? Wrong. It is hard, it is time consuming and it is requiring skill. It's a lot harder than get 100 jumps in FF9, and that shit was pretty hard for some people. Quite frankly, you underestimate the amount of WORK that has to go into a project, even a small one, and that more than anything tells me that you very likely won't make a team that will create a game any time in the near future. Because it's hard.
author=Mirak
Yeah see, we're not looking for "accomplished" people because almost everyone here fails to sport that title. That question is asked because team efforts just never work if the lead doesn't know what it takes to even complete a single project by themselves.

Real life is not an rpg, you don't go into the local tavern and gather a bunch of strangers to engage into a project that wasn't even talked about in detail and expect them to be devoted to it. If you want a team the first thing you do is engage people. Get to know them. Absolutely everybody here has an idea of their own, if they don't see you giving them a reason for it, they won't put their own ideas aside to work on yours. If this site is lacking on something, it's on people willing to join *any* project Just Because.

I mean, if you want, everyone can opt for not replying to your thread and letting you learn this lesson by yourself when you see that your efforts are not giving fruit, but i'd personally rather point you in a general direction. More devs to give variety to this scene is quite welcome.

People without any sorts of skill in the art, programming and music department still manage to make short games by themselves, there really is no excuse as to why you can't demonstrate to the people here that you're competent enough to carry a project by yourself, no matter how small it is.

author=Liberty
What we're saying is that you need to have the skills to cover the bases in case someone drops out. It's your idea so of course you're going to feel the most strongly about it, but people have various reasons for leaving a team - from being sick to getting busy to having changes in their life to losing interest. It's just what happens. If you can't cover their bases when they go, you're going to be left with a game floundering in the water.

Thus the question as to whether you've anything to show that you can be relied apon to complete the game - so that your other team mates aren't left to have wasted their precious time when someone else drops out. That is time they could have spent making their own games or doing other things with their life. Time that they'd now lost.

Honestly, the fact that you say you have two games that you never finished works against you. Maybe make a small game for yourself to show your own abilities so people can see what you're capable of. Interact with people here so that they can get to know you and build up some trust. Play some games to better judge where your skills lie in comparison to others.

If you're really determined to make -this- game then make a start on it. Use stand-by resources and then when you've got about half done release a demo to show what you have, that you're determined to see this project through and so that people can see what the game is about and how it will work. Even without custom everything it'll be able to get across the ideas that you want.

You ask how hard it can be? Well, why aren't you making it by yourself? It can't be hard, right? Wrong. It is hard, it is time consuming and it is requiring skill. It's a lot harder than get 100 jumps in FF9, and that shit was pretty hard for some people. Quite frankly, you underestimate the amount of WORK that has to go into a project, even a small one, and that more than anything tells me that you very likely won't make a team that will create a game any time in the near future. Because it's hard.

For once i cannot believe you guys, and i strongly disagree, either your saying he should suck it up and make it himself or don't make the project at all. I have never in my life seen a game made by only one person to be decent, because no one can perform all the roles to make it good ( All the game you heard like minecraft or banish etc, sorry to burst your bubble but even then they had helped, not from a team but from outer influence and communities). How can one person learn to be good at leadership, artistic skill, story creating, geological map making, engine handling, reviser, detailed comp art, and ideas/opinions. I had experienced hardship in making a game, even the engine itself was a nightmare, however i learned and trained myself "with help" to be a good model maker for the engine (even though my computer cant even load the model i create anymore since i made it so detailed). Even then it took ages, and i cannot perform to learn so much content. This is why if you ever go to moddb, they post help needed. Also helping someone does not require alot of skills of that person, as long as you achieve experience of what you perform nothing goes to waste, even if you make contents and is not being used anymore, doesn't mean it isn't going to be used again (Basically in a simple version, doing something is better then doing nothing). This is why communities are there, and the reason why pubs were made, to find help from people so that he can at-least gain something.

Now alot of people are saying it's hard and so on and so forth, in life no one thought that making something was ever going to be easy, heck they wouldn't even be here then. Real life is hard as well, it ain't cherry picking for the poor, however that does not mean that i should be unhelpful and useless. Also i know you want him to create a mini-game, a small project, thats okay, in-fact sure its a good way to show what a well below decent game would be like for one person. However not helping for skills being poor is just a sad attempt to not wanting to face their fears and waste opportunity. At-least this guy showed the determination of wanting the complete the two project.

Literally you don't have to remind him how hard the game making can be, because everyone got a slap of reality that you cant do anything alone. Even i got slapped by reality so hard, i had to message tons of help to other model/engine creator to point me in the right direction, and even then they helped me by creating lessons for me. Even if i dont use them, they still shared that lesson plan to others. Hence the saying, "Sitting down to enjoy your whine may sweeten your view, but bitterness will carve in for what you can be." "It is fine to challenge yourself then to sit around, for it may help you for what lies ahead, however when you wait you will accomplish nothing in that set of time." "You wait for the fish to be between your hands, while the fish waits for you to take the opportunity."
You want to see good games made by one person? There's a ton of them on this site. It's possible, very possible. There are plenty of great games on steam that were made by one person, too.

Anyway, the idea isn't for them to make a great awesome game straight out of the gate, but to actually show off their experience by making a completed game and proving they are capable of doing so before asking for a team, because you will very very very likely not be able to make a good complete game with a team if you've no experience making a simple small complete game yourself. Take it from someone who has done group games before - it's a whole different kettle of fish and if the leader of the game creation team doesn't have at least the basics down for how to do the different aspects of a game, then if someone drops out the whole game falls through.

Even more than that, you need to know how to direct your team as a leader and that means knowing the engine you're working with and what it can realistically do. This person is asking to make a game in RPG Maker. It is a very very simple engine in comparison to other engines out there, but it is still hard work to actually make your own completed game and this person seems to think it's incredibly easy. The fact that they think that means that they have no realistic idea of what it entails to make a game and thus would not be a good team leader because they do not understand the trials that they need to overcome with using the engine. How can they lead a team when they can't understand what their people are going to have to face during making?

Thus, if you have a game made using the engine it is proof that you understand the workings. It is proof that you have the fortitude, skill, determination and ability to actually do what you're offering and that you'll understand when one of the team says "You'll need to reference this variable when you do this part" or "I can't get the graphics down to the size you want, is there a different size we can use?" or "The music isn't looping like it should, could we make the cutscene a bit shorter in some way? Maybe speed up the movement?" or "Hey, that script needs to be called at this point in the game like this." If they don't know the basics, they can't understand what their team needs and thus it falls apart.

So get down from your pulpit and learn a thing or two. We're actually trying to help this developer to face the reality that they need to do some work in order to be able to get a team together that would work, and part of that is showing to potential team mates that they are capable of doing what needs to be done as a team leader and a developer.

We also do not take kindly to multiple accounts.
Well, Husky has a point here. I think Wulfee is just asking for people to join in as part of his learning experience. No need to shaft all that harsh reality stuff upon him because I think he's well aware of it.

Liberty and Mirak also have a point here too, though. Before you can even get people to join you, you have to start off by learning everything by yourself first.
Husky is Wulfee's alternate account and has thus been banned.

Asking for teaming up when you don't have anything to show is going to get people asking this kind of question. It's a legitimate concern and I'd rather they got the harsh reality spelt out for them before they wasted their and others' time, especially if that harsh lesson actually ends their dreams of being a game dev.

Better for them to get some experience in completing even a small game first and understanding the engine (as well as knowing they're capable of doing so so that if it does fail they're not left despairing in the tatters of the unrealised dream) than jumping into the deep end and drowning themselves and their team.
author=Liberty
Husky is Wulfee's alternate account and has thus been banned.

I don't know how to prove it but I am most definitely my own person Liberty, I'm not here looking for a fight. I'm just here to find others that wanna make a game with similarities to all time favorites like Ghibli Movies or Chrono Trigger.
...We check IPs, mate. Your account and Husky's is the exact same. Same person, same IP. You're getting off lightly because you're new to the site but don't go around pretending you didn't do any wrong. You made an alt and used it to make that post, don't play coy.

Geez.
author=Liberty
...We check IPs, mate. Your account and Husky's is the exact same. Same person, same IP. You're getting off lightly because you're new to the site but don't go around pretending you didn't do any wrong. You made an alt and used it to make that post, don't play coy.

Geez.

You do know Ips can be shared right? There's no reason for toxicity in this thread. If you want proof, i can take a picture of us two or something but as i said before, that's not my multiple account. Please ask for more details before putting others down, that is something i really frown upon.
That's great and all, but the fact is that someone came into the thread - a new account made with only one post which was 'protecting' you - with the same IP address and no note at all of being anyone other than yourself. I'd like that proof, yes please, because we've seen this kind of thing a ton of times. PM it to me. Thanks.

If you think people telling you the truths of game making is toxic, I can't help you with that.
author=Liberty
That's great and all, but the fact is that someone came into the thread - a new account made with only one post which was 'protecting' you - with the same IP address and no note at all of being anyone other than yourself. I'd like that proof, yes please, because we've seen this kind of thing a ton of times. PM it to me. Thanks.

If you think people telling you the truths of game making is toxic, I can't help you with that.

Liberty, what i thought toxic was you accusing me of making another account to defend myself against the community that i'm trying to work with. I admit I disagree on the slam of reality because thats something i know all too well, ex. my 2 prior games on hold. But you saying im being coy, or banning someone else without any reason to.. That is what i meant by toxicity.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I haven't seen this link dropped in a while, so let me do it now: https://rpgmaker.net/articles/1160/

Anyway, aside from all the super useful and relevant info in that article, I want to express concern for your team size. If you've read the article and still somehow think you're the one exception and that you can pull it off, I would highly, highly suggest trimming down that position list to 2 people. At most.

The amount of communication lines between all those people would look like a spider web, and I'd estimate it'd take 2-4 months just to make sure everyone is on the same page on what kind of project you want to make, let alone complete the thing (there's a lot more info teammates need to know both before and during work on the game than you've provided in the OP). Speaking from personal experience, online teams larger than 3 created in a manner such as this tend to fragment and dissolve very quickly when every statement made by every member gets lost in translation when trying to communicate with everyone else. And trust me: it will happen.
Pages: first 12 next last