RMN sex symbol
Website!

So this is a thing now.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Whose the creator of that?
Is that tileset REFMAP?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
The interface looks a bit... Shabby.
The characters of the promotional art seem familiar but i guess their genericness is intentional.

If it works then that's great, an opportunity for ios users.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Good for a gimmick I guess. Definitely would not buy (not that I have an iOS device anyway). And yes, that's ye olde 16x16 REFMAP. How exciting, you can make: forests, grasslands, purple caves, brown caves, castles, and wooden villages! ;V
Looks like a fun little distraction. I'd be hard pressed to make anything serious with it though.
SunflowerGames

The thing is, if you can create it with ios, then you can export it commercially with ios. And this process is probably going to be made as easy as possible to compete with RPG Maker. Enterbrain's gotta stop taking thins for granted. One day someone's going to pop out an engine with all the features we have been asking for and Enterbrain is going to be scrambling to catch up.
author=kory_toombs
The thing is, if you can create it with ios, then you can export it commercially with ios. And this process is probably going to be made as easy as possible to compete with RPG Maker. Enterbrain's gotta stop taking thins for granted. One day someone's going to pop out an engine with all the features we have been asking for and Enterbrain is going to be scrambling to catch up.

I know it will never happen, but what Enterbrain needs to do is go the Gamemaker/Unity route and make RPG Maker one really good and solid engine that is continually updated instead of releasing new engines every 2-3 years for 80 bucks a pop. That way, they can add better export options and other similar features later on if the competition is ramping up. The current video-game-like marketing model that Enterbrain has been sticking to is becoming alarmingly antiquated.
SunflowerGames

@sgtMettool

I think Enterbrain has the ability to make the engine. The thing is if they make the engine too good, they fear they can't sell any more engines in the future. So what they do is make small improvements in one area, and perhaps slide back a previous feature that was well liked out of the new engine. That way they can try to get as much money out of making new engines as possible. The issue here is that they are coming against some very stiff competition.

Make one good engine, update it for free, and sell us resources and scripts. They could sell combat system scripts, huds, and all sorts of other things. I bet if they sold a tactic system script people would buy it. I think this is how they should market their engine.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=kory_toombs
They could sell combat system scripts, huds, and all sorts of other things. I bet if they sold a tactic system script people would buy it. I think this is how they should market their engine.

Go all out and make a marketplace for user-generated (and enterbrain-generated) stuff like Unreal/Unity/GM:S and just take a percentage of the sales.

Just as long as they don't go down the GM:S route with selling platform compilation modules separately and they're, like, $300+ USD and people wait for Humble Bundles to nab a bunch of them for <=$15 USD
Creating one RPG-making engine and then updating it sounds like a logistics nightmare. Continually adding new features while keeping old features' code compatible. Opening up older projects, and, having to deal with the older format of those projects. And then, like kory_tooms said, you'd get market saturation.

Maybe what TehGuy said isn't legally viable... taking a percentage of everyone's sales. Perhaps if Enterbrain were a western corporation. But they're too far away, physically and figuratively?

I still think that the software is designed as if it's its own toy; selling an RPG that you made is possible, but many people just end up playing around. In that case, Enterbrain wouldn't make money off of a percentage.
Craze
zach, you just have different versions available, and devs can update if you so choose. if you're curious, look through some of the dev blogs for Deltree's The Tenth Line, which talk about upgrading his version of Unity and the pros/cons of it.

anyway enterbrain and degica get all their money back from me because of all the fucking music packs i keep buying. never enough royalty-free music

...also because i own vx, ace and 2k3 (not that i use 2k3, but i used it for so many years that it felt wrong not to)
author=Craze
Good for a gimmick I guess. Definitely would not buy (not that I have an iOS device anyway). And yes, that's ye olde 16x16 REFMAP. How exciting, you can make: forests, grasslands, purple caves, brown caves, castles, and wooden villages! ;V

Yeah agreed. Unfortunately I can't imagine any serious developer going this route for a project; but then again, that's not really Deciga's audience anyhow. I'm quite sure 99% of users who buy this will have no clue where those tiles originated lol.
There's now an English trailer on the site. For some reason they're showing autotiles on the same sheets as simple tiles (at 1:08), and their water tiles aren't animated.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Who wants to bet on the pricetag for the professional version?
My bet is on $25-$30.
Degica makes some shaky decisions lately.
SunflowerGames

Degica is the publisher right? I thought Enterbrain developed the engine.
That would be like blaming Bantam Spectra for killing the Starks when George R.R. Martin wrote the book.
Is there an official explanation of what each company is responsible for? When I load up VX Ace (US Steam ver), the splash screen says "Published by Kadokawa", not Degica. And who do we blame for the English translation?
SunflowerGames

I assume a publisher would handle language translations. (George R.R. Martin doesn't know Chinese likely, but there are Chinese books.)
£5.99 for a full version. Tempted to have a play and see what can be done since its effectively RPG Maker 2000 reworked. Anyone else going to try it?
Craze
Enker
£5.99 for a full version. Tempted to have a play and see what can be done since its effectively RPG Maker 2000 reworked. Anyone else going to try it?

reworked? more like devolved

i'm still not sure why this exists
Pages: first 12 next last