[RM2K3] [RM2K] MIDI MUSIC ISSUE WINDOWS 7

Pages: 1
Hello!

I dug up an old game a friend of mine made using RPGMaker2k/2k3 and I'm running into a weird issue with the sound. When I played it back in the day on my old Windows XP computer all the MIDI music sounded great, like it was straight from the SNES games. Now on my Windows 7 machine it all sounds awful and moreover, most of the notes are playing as piano notes when they should not be. I downloaded VirtualMIDISynth and that made the overall sound better, but that didn't solve the issue of nearly everything being played as piano notes.

Has anyone experienced this issue? I spent a great deal of the afternoon trying to come up with a fix with no luck.

Thank you!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I haven't noticed this on any rpg maker 2000 / 2003 games I have played.

Is he using the Japanese version, translated version, or new version?
I believe it was the translated version but it's been so long I couldn't say for sure. It's definitely not the Japanese version.
I sort of noticed this back when I made the move from XP to 7. For other people's games, I would just get used it, but if it's your game, there's definitely some stuff you can do. I was okay with the sound differences until I watched NicoB's playthrough of my game on youtube and the music sounded really bad. This prompted me to convert all the midi music to mp3 using Solmire.com. It took some work, but it guarantees that the music will sound the same on every system. Buuuuut it's been a couple years since then and I want to just hire a composer or something now, and replace all the music I did that crap with. :)
I think there is a program that solves this very issue concerning MIDI, but I've long since forgotten the name of it. I know that is not helpful, but letting you know such a program exists that corrects the midi music.
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
The best thing to do is turn the music files into OGG files. Yes, it won't sound like an SNES game anymore, but a least it would play a lot better. To do this, download this free audio converter called fre:ac. Don't worry, it's virus free. Just don't click on any of the trick "Download Here" adds because the will install crap and spyware onto your computer and nobody wants that. Just follow the link and don't click on the ads and you'll be good.

https://www.freac.org/
All midis play back using the end-user's midi instrument database. It's how they keep their size so low; they are really just sheet music, with all the sound samples stored locally. If the midis don't play right on your computer it's because your midisynth doesn't have all the correct instruments. The default instrument is "piano", which is why it sounds like that. It's also possible the instrument's internal names are different than the ones the older midis are calling, making your computer think they are missing and defaulting to piano.

Since nobody really uses midi anymore, a lot of newer operating systems (even going back as far as 7) just plain don't support them. Even some XP machines don't support them 100%; when I installed my copy of FF7 for PC, it installed the latest Yamaha midi synth which caused all my midis to sound different (better?). FF7 was one of the last major console games to use the midi format, which shows you long it's been out of favour.

Unfortunately, your best bet is to ditch midi altogether. MP3 conversion is more viable since you're using Rm2k3 which doesn't support .ogg files.

Also, SNES games didn't use midi files, so converting away from midi will have no impact on sound accuracy.
author=Kaempfer
Unfortunately, your best bet is to ditch midi altogether. MP3 conversion is more viable since you're using Rm2k3 which doesn't support .ogg files.

One thing that's troubling, is that I heard that .mp3 is a licensed compression format, and can't be used for commercial purposes without an obligation to pay royalties on its use. Is this true? It would mean that RPG Maker 2003 games can't be sold without paying some kind of royalties... I don't think they'd be small for an individual person.
In RM2k (not value) and 2k3 version 1.04 and older is bug with midi, which play music only piano. Maybe this is this?

MP3 or OGG weight more than midi so this is stupid. I prefer midi. In normal RM2k is only midi and wav, so you must use patch for MP3 (and OGG etc), but is also patch for midi in RM2k and this is better way.

I have windows 7 (64bit) and midi play normal in all RMs. True is that in RMXP and newest midi plays another than older version.

A lot of people play my RM95 game (music only in midi) and this work OK in windows 8 and 10.

More - this: "VirtualMIDISynth" do a problem in some computers with RM95 game.
Pages: 1