[RMMV] [RMVX ACE] IS THERE A GOOD REASON TO JUMP FROM VX ACE TO MV?

Pages: first 12 next last
Hey, guys. I've been trying to really decide what is best for me regarding the RPG Makers. Based on my experience with RPG Maker VX Ace, it seems the best to me, due to past support and my ability to script things with it. That is not to say that I don't know a little bit of Java, as I've worked in C#, C++ and Java in the past, but I feel like the engine is too closed off and I'm not sure where to get information on the documentation or how to get started with extending the engine for my own use. I know it's not impossible, as other people are doing it already and doing very well, but I'm having troubles getting started. I don't even think MV has a fullscreen mode in it's games, does it?

So, my question is really, is there a good reason to jump from VX Ace to MV? When sideview battle systems are cool and all, but there are plenty of extendable scripts for VX Ace out there that that isn't a concern to me. I am also not concerned with exporting to mobile.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
MV can deploy to Android and IOS. That alone could be worth the price of admission depending on what you're looking to get out of the engine.
author=Red_Nova
MV can deploy to Android and IOS. That alone could be worth the price of admission depending on what you're looking to get out of the engine.

Yeah, as I said, that's not something I'm worried about. I'm more concerned with PC gaming at this point. Mobile is a market I'll jump into when I am ready to use Unity, partially due to some of the issues i've heard people having with MV and the deploying to android.

(I should also note I've bought MV myself but just haven't been convinced it's worth the jump to it)
unity
You're magical to me.
I've used both, but still prefer Ace, but I'm not sure if that's just a personal preference. Aside from the Android and iOS stuff Red Nova mentioned, I think Ace can do just about anything that MV can do. I could be wrong tho XD
author=unity
I've used both, but still prefer Ace, but I'm not sure if that's just a personal preference. Aside from the Android and iOS stuff Red Nova mentioned, I think Ace can do just about anything that MV can do. I could be wrong tho XD

That's kind of how I've been viewing it too. I've heard people saying it's better, but I'm just trying to gauge how much better it really is. I do love the character generator much more, but I'm an artist as it is, so character generation is only useful as a temporary means for me anyway, so I'm not picky with the features of the character generator. I think my biggest thing I love though is I can see the engine's scripts and make modifications to the scripts or extend them in separate scripts very easily. I can do a lot in Java too if I know what libraries I'm accessing, but it's not so visible to me like in VX Ace, and that is my biggest concern. It is a much more logical language than what the makers before that had, imo.

I haven't made up my mind 100% yet, but I guess my questions are mostly being posted to kind of see how everyone else views the new system. I don't want to be using every one elses hard work and their scripts forever, you know?
Just want to clarify since you've mentioned it a few times - MV scripts are in Javascript, which similarities with Java end at the name.

If I make a new project, it'll be in MV. For me, the biggest reason is I like the scripting experience more. VX Ace has unaccessible code powering the engine, but MV gives access to everything. Though to most, I doubt that's a selling point. I'm just the crazy type that wants to mess with everything.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
Having used both engines extensively, I would say it's like this:

Ace Better:
- Faster and less resource intensive than MV.
- More resources and plug-ins (for now).
- Stable and can do just about anything MV can do.

MV Better:
- Updates and community effort will be poured into this for next 3-4 years.
- Resources and plug-ins catching up at phenomenal rate.
- Supposedly multi-platform*

* But has mobile optimization problems.

I have moved to MV myself because of the whole future trend. I figure that by the time they come out with MV2 in a few years it will be more compatible with JS based MV than Ruby based Ace.
author=Ramshackin
Just want to clarify since you've mentioned it a few times - MV scripts are in Javascript, which similarities with Java end at the name.

If I make a new project, it'll be in MV. For me, the biggest reason is I like the scripting experience more. VX Ace has unaccessible code powering the engine, but MV gives access to everything. Though to most, I doubt that's a selling point. I'm just the crazy type that wants to mess with everything.

Right, thanks for correcting on that. I have a bad habit of referring to javascript as java. Is there any documentation somewhere that tells us more about the library for MV though, like Microsofts MSDN or Unity's scripting knowledgebase? I would probably be comfortable making the jump to MV if I knew exactly what I was looking to use.

author=watermark
Having used both engines extensively, I would say it's like this:

Ace Better:
- Faster and less resource intensive than MV.
- More resources and plug-ins (for now).
- Stable and can do just about anything MV can do.

MV Better:
- Updates and community effort will be poured into this for next 3-4 years.
- Resources and plug-ins catching up at phenomenal rate.
- Supposedly multi-platform*

* But has mobile optimization problems.

I have moved to MV myself because of the whole future trend. I figure that by the time they come out with MV2 in a few years it will be more compatible with JS based MV than Ruby based Ace.

Yeah, that's one of the things I considered too. I would be happy to move over to MV, honestly, as I love the idea of moving on to a more universally accepted scripting language, but I kind of feel like the way they implimented it feels a little clunky.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Ace is better in almost every way.

MV seems to only offer the option for non PC exportation and I have heard that this features isn't implemented very well.
author=kory_toombs
Ace is better in almost every way.

MV seems to only offer the option for non PC exportation and I have heard that this features isn't implemented very well.

I heard the same. And honestly, I've had so many issues in the past just setting up everything to try to test exporting it to android, just as an example, that I've pretty much given up that aspect, but that's only because I've got limited time and cannot be bothered with it lol.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
The only other thing I can think of is the higher cap on database items. MV has a 9999 item limit in (I'm pretty sure) every category in the database, whereas Ace can only go up to 999.

EDIT: My memory sucks. It's 2000, not 9999. That's still a huge jump from Ace, though!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Little Asian girl meme, incoming:

"Why not both?"

I use RPG Maker 2000, RM2K3, and RMVXA. Seriously, if you're thinking about getting MV, there's no reason you have to abandon Ace. I'm not particularly fond of MV, but I don't dislike it. It has a lot of merits and it has a lot of stuff that I really don't like. I don't like not being able to edit scripts while in the engine, but that's really my only major beef with the system. I have other problems with it, one being just how little it improves on the database. Seriously, it's virtually identical to Ace in that regard.

I prefer Ace, but all things aside, I can't not recommend MV.
I own 2k3, xp, vxa and mv lol. I've just been trying to justify the use of it because right now, I haven't been entirely too pleased with it, personally. The in-editor tools are amazing, don't get me wrong, but every time I even think of trying to script for it, I'm at a loss as to where to start with it.

I was also highly disappointed that alt+enter doesnt go into fullscreen. Does it go fullscreen?
MV and Ace are functionally identical, with MV's biggest advantage being that it's done in Javascript rather than a Ruby variant.

Advantages over Ace:
+ More flexible scripting language.
+ Continued support from plugin developers. Most scripters have largely moved on from Ace, so what Ace scripts are out there now are pretty much what you're gonna get.
+ Higher default resolution.
+ More database capacity.
+ Option for sideview battles without the need for a script.

Disadvantages over Ace:
- 48x48 tiles are a very controversial change.
- Large base filesize. Games are a minimum of 100 MB because of the Webkit, which can make distribution more of a hassle than the smaller Ace games.
- Export options have been described as incomplete.
- Games have higher system requirements than Ace games and tend to be sluggish on older machines.

EDIT: To weigh in. There have been patches that have made it quite a bit better than it was at launch, but since the advantages of MV over Ace are still pretty negligible for me, I'm waiting for the next iteration of RPG Maker before I make any sort of switch.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I actually like having to use Battle Symphony to get side-view battles in Ace. It gives so much flexibility over how battles are done and if you don't know how to script, you don't have to rely on someone else's scripting to fine tune it since Battle Symphony includes everything you could pretty much want.
author=sicksinz
Is there any documentation somewhere that tells us more about the library for MV though, like Microsofts MSDN or Unity's scripting knowledgebase? I would probably be comfortable making the jump to MV if I knew exactly what I was looking to use.

Are you familiar with scripting in VX Ace? The MV code is setup in a nearly identical way.
author=Ramshackin
author=sicksinz
Is there any documentation somewhere that tells us more about the library for MV though, like Microsofts MSDN or Unity's scripting knowledgebase? I would probably be comfortable making the jump to MV if I knew exactly what I was looking to use.
Are you familiar with scripting in VX Ace? The MV code is setup in a nearly identical way.

Thanks for the response. When I got home, I also found the documentation in MV that explains the default library for MV also, so that'll be a good start, and with a few Youtube videos to get me started, I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out a little better.

Also, I was able to answer my own question about if there is a fullscreen option. Rather than Alt+Enter like previous versions allowed you to do, I found F4 works just fine for that too, so I'm pretty pleased now that I know about that lol.

Thanks for all of your input, guys. Also, if you've got further thoughts, don't hesitate to keep discussing it because it's interesting to see everyone's viewpoints on it.
The resolution alone is enough in my opinion, although if I had a project in VX Ace I would probably finish it first.

The side view battlers are great, particularly with plugins that are available.

JS seems more popular than Ruby, but I guess it depends on who you're working with.
author=SgtMettool
- Games have higher system requirements than Ace games and tend to be sluggish on older machines.
Disagree with this one. Creating my game on old Asus K50IN (with 2GB RAM) and having CPU issues (while testing) only when place too many events on one map or don't put decent amount of wait frames between few quick events (such as SE). So, it's a question of careful eventing, not of MV itself. What's also notable about it is that on more modern laptop I don't have lags at all.
P.S. and not many people nowadays use such toasters as Asus K50IN
Ive found developing for MV to be super strait forward. I've used it to develop on a 7 year old MacBook with 0 issues and I have done a bunch of development on my $400 laptop with 0 issues. All in all I think its a pretty impressive little program, even if the multiplatform export support is a little shitty.

I find playing games made in older versions of RPG Maker that they tend to run like dogs balls on Windows 8 and 10 compared to MV, I assume due to memory leaks but I am not entirely certain. If you want to be able to enjoy your games years from now without messing around with quirks to get them running properly, I think MV is the better option in that regard. Not everyone will be using XP forever.

The 48x48 tile complaint is strange to me as well, at least if you are making your own tiles. All of the tiles I made for Flatwoods were actually made at 16x16 and blown up to be 48x48. If you are using the "Nearest Neighbor (Hard Edges)" resampling option (its been in photoshop forever, not sure about Gimp) everything upscales from any tile size with no blurring or anything. I guess its a pain the ass if your wanting to use the VX Ace tile set but otherwise its a pretty lazy excuse.

These are just my opinions tho and I am rather new to all of this. Sort of.
Pages: first 12 next last