[RM2K3] HOW TO HIDE RESOURCES AND NOT TRICK RM3 GAME THAT THEY'RE GONE

Pages: 1
I'd like to prevent a leak of my resourses by hiding the folders (not RTP folders) that allows the game to run without thinking the files are gone.

Simply right clicking for properties to mark 'hidden' and/or 'read-only' just won't cut it
I've never bothered with this, but is there not some sort of file type Rm2k3 uses for this? Like .xyz or something? I believe you can export stuff as an .xyz and then reimport it.

I could be making that up.
No, you're right. It only works for graphics, though.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
The software you'd be looking for to do that kind of job is called a runtime packer, which essentially boxes your EXE and its dependencies within another EXE. Check the (antiquated) "Molebox" to get an idea of what this does.

I'd advise against doing this, as it creates another layer of abstraction that potentially introduces new bugs and instability into your project. There's also the annoying side-effect of numerous anti-virus programs hating packed executables, mainly because it's a known method for distributing malware.
author=Magi
I'd advise against doing this, as it creates another layer of abstraction that potentially introduces new bugs and instability into your project. There's also the annoying side-effect of numerous anti-virus programs hating packed executables, mainly because it's a known method for distributing malware.

There are no other alternatives? I use the 'RM2K Plugin Utility' but it doesn't work well as I had hoped. Disable testplay and unopenable maps work fine but it does not convert all of my png files to xyz. I've also tried the unchecking and checking scenarios of the two sub-boxes. Renaming the others one by one to xyz makes them easily reversible.

People aren't compiling their own resources so I must take further/greater protective measures
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
When you do encrypt it, remember to keep the original somewhere else. Wouldn't want to need to fix bugs and then have to break into your own game.
author=Dragnfly
When you do encrypt it, remember to keep the original somewhere else. Wouldn't want to need to fix bugs and then have to break into your own game.

But how do I encrypt it? Other than packing and the lackluster rm utility. There also isn't an encrypt option for when you want to create a game installer, like in the newer RM engines.
You're simply not going to obscure the resources in a way that makes it difficult to extract them AND still be playable in RPG Maker 2003. You could import them all as "XYZ", but the "XYZ" format is pretty easy to read and decode. I've been able to decode and play games (I once wrote an engine replacement) "protected" with the plugin you're showing in the screenshot, so it follows that there could be a tool that converts all the images back into easily readable formats.

Also, if you could encrypt the resources, they have to be decrypted in order for the game to play. This requires packaging the key with the game which makes encryption entirely pointless.

Finally, if someone actually wants the resources to your game, they will obtain them. You're not going to win this battle.
(Sigh, another one of these threads, with the same answers...)
I've researched this:

Molebox v2.2981 works with vanilla 2k3, but doesn't work with DynRPG. It's hard to find, and other versions are even less compatible.

Enigma Virtual Box is the only real answer to this issue that works with 2k3 (any version), including DynRPG patches games. It's pretty cool. You can choose what to pack and how to pack it, it's super flexible and just works. The only thing you can't pack I think is warp.dll and dynloader.dll (if you use DynRPG).

Can't vouch for the impact these packers would have with trigging false-positives in Anti-Virus software. It's definitely a valid concern, but as long as you don't actually include viruses/malware or something (which would be super scummy), then you can just deal with the questions you may or may not get after release.
You can actually contact the Anti-Virus vendors themselves about a false positive when you're done making the game. Verify it triggers their AV and let them know. I've only had to annoy Avast with tickets before, but they will fix the issue if it's actually a false positive. I'd imagine many common AV vendors will as well.
Pages: 1