ROMANCE IN YOUR GAME (VALENTINE'S DAY)

Pages: first prev 12 last
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh I just remembered I added a mail-order boyfriend you can buy in one of my games. He becomes a party member.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
I kinda have a romance in Blacksword, but since it’s only a 2 hour game (and the main focus is not romance), it was difficult to have a convincing love story, so, well…let’s not spoil the story. :p

I think it’s really weird how some romances can be done convincingly very quickly while others take a long time.

Case in point. In the Zelda games, I totally think Zelda and Link should get together, even though most of the games have like a non-existent love story. Especially in the earlier Zelda's there were like zero dialogue, but they still convinced me that those two belong together.

The other end is Final Fantasy 8, a game that’s supposedly totally about the love between Squall and Rinoa, and the game spends like 50 hours putting the two of them together, complete with dance sequence and custom made theme song “Eyes on Me”. I totally didn’t dig it at all. I never felt the spark between them and felt the romance was forced and tin foil. I really hated the romance in that game, mainly because I think Rinoa is hot and deserves a proper love story, but it just didn’t go through. You could say in FF7 the love sequences between Cloud and Aerith were few, but I thought the romance was great. Much better than Squall/Rinoa. Why is that? I still don’t get it myself.
author=watermark
I kinda have a romance in Blacksword, but since it’s only a 2 hour game (and the main focus is not romance), it was difficult to have a convincing love story, so, well…let’s not spoil the story. :p

I think it’s really weird how some romances can be done convincingly very quickly while others take a long time.

Case in point. In the Zelda games, I totally think Zelda and Link should get together, even though most of the games have like a non-existent love story. Especially in the earlier Zelda's there were like zero dialogue, but they still convinced me that those two belong together.

The other end is Final Fantasy 8, a game that’s supposedly totally about the love between Squall and Rinoa, and the game spends like 50 hours putting the two of them together, complete with dance sequence and custom made theme song “Eyes on Me”. I totally didn’t dig it at all. I never felt the spark between them and felt the romance was forced and tin foil. I really hated the romance in that game, mainly because I think Rinoa is hot and deserves a proper love story, but it just didn’t go through. You could say in FF7 the love sequences between Cloud and Aerith were few, but I thought the romance was great. Much better than Squall/Rinoa. Why is that? I still don’t get it myself.

*Raises hand* Is it because Squall is a hardline emo and Rinoa lacks passion?

Oh snap, another good one, for the limitations of its time, Cecil and Rosa from FFIV. She sticks by him even when he is being corrupted by the dark sword and in turn he goes to great lengths to save her from antlion poison and his *spoiler badge of honor* kidnapping her.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
author=Delsin7

Passion! Oh that's really good! I think you may be right. The people in 8 seem to be acting their love, like there's no honest, raw emotion behind it. Yet logically there should be, as there are scenes that prove they will go to great lengths for each other, that's why it's so confusing. Maybe predictable dialogue made it that way?

As for Squall is a hardline emo, I agree. :D But Cloud is like that too. But why is Cloud more likable imho? These two are pretty similar actually. So should we blame the girls? XD

Well, for Cecil/Rosa I always saw them as a married couple. Very sweet, but no tension. I didn't dislike them, but I didn't see them as romance. How to explain? I think I was never afraid that they wouldn't be together. There were no stakes in their relationship: they were "safe" so paradoxically I didn't feel for them. Like for example, if the story had been that Rosa also loved Kain too and was torn between the two...I think that would've been more interesting. :p

Edge/Rydia on the other hand I actually liked better, although it was left open ended at the end.
Kain: Hey Baby, how bout we repopulate Baron while Cecil is grinding GP?

Rosa: Oh, but I mustn'! What would Cecil say if he found us?

*An hour later and the burning loins are sizzling. Cecil returns home with a prized Rat Tail.*

Cecil: Honey, I'm ho-----! HO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Rosa: Grilling beef loins. There is an awful lot of smoke.

Cecil: Kain! This is your doing! You have corrupted Rosa into grilling with charcoal!

Kain: Wait Bro! It wasn't me! It was that Spoony Bard!

Cecil: Lies!

~Curtain closes on Act 2~
author=Nerdboy
Hi, since it's Valentine's Day, i wanted to see if any of you have included romance or love in your game?

In my side project, "I DROVE ALL NIGHT", an indie Romantic Adventure, about two Lovers and their long distance relationship. Augustus is a member of a Notorious Gang, while Ophelia is part of High Society. Can the two from two different worlds keep their love alive?

The story is inspired by The Count of Monte Cristo and Romeo & Juliet, the greatest love stories of ALL TIME in my humble opinion. Simply a story about a man who must struggle through great lengths and tragedies in order to keep his love alive.

What about your game? Any romance or love?

Personally, i think the most touching and moving romance in RPG's is FFVI with Setzer and Locke's memories of their loved ones. Back in the day, those stories were so emotional i just felt moved by it.

In order to get the Game Plus on Oracle of Tao, I think you need the swordsman in your party, Nevras. In order to get the swordsman in the party you need to either have gotten in your relationship where Ambrosia kissed him, or at the portal to the second world, Nevras leaves Ambrosia. You can get him back by going back through the portal and answering some questions (which may be influenced by your current romance variables). At a certain point, if you continue on without him, this ending is forfeit because you give up on him. The romance writing is suck, because I have a poor romantic sense, but it sorta worked (I also made minor subplots for all of the characters, making the evil wizard whose backstory involved the death of his wife to be able to meet someone. You can find him at the graveyard in the first town before the Game Plus. So there are romance subplots to pair both minor characters).

Why do you need this for New Game Plus? Because the second story involves Ambrosia's pregnancy and child. No hooking up with Nevras = no second story.

author=watermark
author=Delsin7
Passion! Oh that's really good! I think you may be right. The people in 8 seem to be acting their love, like there's no honest, raw emotion behind it. Yet logically there should be, as there are scenes that prove they will go to great lengths for each other, that's why it's so confusing. Maybe predictable dialogue made it that way?

As for Squall is a hardline emo, I agree. :D But Cloud is like that too. But why is Cloud more likable imho? These two are pretty similar actually. So should we blame the girls? XD

You guys should read this. It makes the love story a ton more interesting.

http://squallsdead.com/

Then read my comments halfway down the page (I'm Sam Rinne).

Basically, they appear to be acting their romance, because in a sense, it's kinda meta.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
author=Delsin7
Kain: Hey Baby, how bout we repopulate Baron while Cecil is grinding GP?

Rosa: Oh, but I mustn'! What would Cecil say if he found us?

*An hour later and the burning loins are sizzling. Cecil returns home with a prized Rat Tail.*

Cecil: Honey, I'm ho-----! HO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!

Rosa: Grilling beef loins. There is an awful lot of smoke.

Cecil: Kain! This is your doing! You have corrupted Rosa into grilling with charcoal!

Kain: Wait Bro! It wasn't me! It was that Spoony Bard!

Cecil: Lies!

~Curtain closes on Act 2~

Ha ha ha!

See? That's what I mean!
Ironically in the same vein, I dislike the huge focus on overblown drama in a lot of romance stories.
Where the "end point" is characters are able to get together into a relationship. I mean, that's the starting point, dammit : D

I do agree there is less over-the-top "I will move heavens and earth to reach you!" lust behind it, at least for healthy relationships, but there are a lot of obstacles too, albeit about deeper values and subtleties.
Usually, when you do see couples n stuff in games/media, you see bickering lovers all the time. Why not see it escalate in your party where one of the romantically involved peeps gets fed up by that and needs to find a better way instead of just bickering all the time? It can be dialogue while travelling or staying at an inn too.

I love seeing good romance but I feel the drama of romeo and juliet (theramus and thisbe) or other overly "you need to bridge the societal/eventful gap" has been done waaay too much.
As well as the trope of a woman going crazy in love who needs to choose a man once and for all and once that choice is done it's all over (sorry, we're not in that age or societal class).
Or the romance where one needs to SAVE the other from themselves (and nothing else). I mean UGH.

Blegh.

Aaaanyway, I feel romance is a lot more versatile than most games suggest.
I do like it both as a side-show as well as a focus, all depending on how well they are implemented.

It's true that for most journeys it ain't gonna be the focus. I mean, in most our lives it isn't, there is just so much going on at any time. There are times where it's more important and apparant and times where it is less so.
Just have some dynamic in it, there will be good n bad days (the usual hero friendship has that too), even without the entire world trying to keep them apart (whyever that happens all the time).

It's just a really interesting dynamic as it has a lot of what you can see in friendships, but usually a tad stronger. So it is easier for conflict or similar to arise over big and small things.
At the same time there is the whole romantic and sexual portions and tension to be drawn from which can be really intense and interesting in its own right.
Be it following a budding feeling, trying to do something special on special occasions, or just small bits and pieces of teasing and comfort.
The budding romance between George and his Dragon. (I'm prolly the only person on the forum's whose read those books.)

How does George and his Dragon get along? What physical limitations occur in their relationship? How does George afford all these air fresheners? What happens if a rival knight attempts to slay his Dragon? Does the Dragon let George ride her? In the sky. And finally, how does their relatives view said relationship? 'No daughter of mine is going to have *magically assisted* half human whelps!'
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dragons shouldn't have relationships with humans. Only with cars.
watermark
Got me my shiny new MZ
@bulmabriefs144
wow, This Squall is dead theory is far out. It's an interesting read, but I prefer to deny it as its too depressing. XD I think if its true that's why Square denies it, or at least made it super vague, as it'll kill sales.

@Kylaila
Regarding "over the top" and "move heaven and earth" loves, while I agree too much of it is bad, I think its definitely a hormone assisted tween to teen thing. It's true, but as we get older and more mature we lose a good portion of it. I was flipping through some old love letters I wrote, and going wtf was I thinking?! while laughing my ass off. Even though the words look silly now, I remember that I meant them with all my heart when I wrote them.

I think someone said as we get older we get wiser, but we also lose the courage to do crazy things. Things that might be worth it despite the sacrifice.

So I think that's why we put it in games and other media. The teens 'get it' while the older crowd remembers it.

Still we as devs could cover different types besides romeo and juliet types. Same sex love, married couple love, divorced and second chance loves, huge age gap loves, forbidden loves, or even inter species love like George and his Dragon (which I have not read yet).
Aha! After looking for a bit I think I remembered the book series. My dad has, a very old and book club version, at least one of The Dragon Knight Series. Its by Gordon R. Dickinson and The Dragon and the George is the first book. The synopsis is a wee bit different than I remember (I think the book club version started further in the series?). Anyway its a fun read. (Also apparently in the first book the main protag becomes a dragon and not his maiden to be. Hmmm. Time to get the series on kindle/look for a dusty old book that'll kick up the allergies rightly.)

Most romantic gift you can give someone in a dating sim/rpg - exotic wood. They can craft stuff with it yo!
author=watermark
(...)
@Kylaila
Regarding "over the top" and "move heaven and earth" loves, while I agree too much of it is bad, I think its definitely a hormone assisted tween to teen thing. It's true, but as we get older and more mature we lose a good portion of it. I was flipping through some old love letters I wrote, and going wtf was I thinking?! while laughing my ass off. Even though the words look silly now, I remember that I meant them with all my heart when I wrote them.

I think someone said as we get older we get wiser, but we also lose the courage to do crazy things. Things that might be worth it despite the sacrifice.

So I think that's why we put it in games and other media. The teens 'get it' while the older crowd remembers it.

Still we as devs could cover different types besides romeo and juliet types. Same sex love, married couple love, divorced and second chance loves, huge age gap loves, forbidden loves, or even inter species love like George and his Dragon (which I have not read yet).

I agree there is definitely a place for it. Tho I suppose I have just always been quick to mature so I don't have as many memories to draw from, I do have a few and have known enough peeps : )

It's really the least offensive of the tropes and it makes for an engaging and exciting core. I quite like those stories myself every now and then.
(the idea that someone's role is to save another person and the whole purpose of the relationship is that one-sided thing .. that I consider dangerous)

Tho I am glad you see as well that it'd be nice to cover a wider spectrum. Both in the "standard relationship" (different stages in life/relationship and ages, so not just getting together), as well as considered non-standard (like difference species haha)

And I hear a fantasy book with dragon romance? Color me curious
Pages: first prev 12 last