WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE RECENT PEWDIEPIE CONTRYVERSY?

Oh sorry, should have checked your location.

Not that I am a fan of putin either.
Edited.
I never cared for his videos or have any sympathy for Disney breaking contract (he's still raking in millions tbh), but I will say, I think this whole thing was entirely overblown.

I could be wrong, but it feels like WSJ’s "investigation" comprised of them digging through literally hundreds and hundreds of hours and took those comments...entirely out of context. I'm suspecting they wanted to be the *hero* and capitalize on the fervor of backlash against legitimate bigots like Milo etc. The 'mainstream' media just doesn't really understand internet/Youtube culture.

But yeah, while I can understand his comments as being mildly offensive, I think there are bigger fish to fry when it comes to bigotry...such as most of the U.S. government.
author=Liberty
author=bulmabriefs144
Three, what kinda stupid name is PewDiePie? Is he an infant? Anyone above the age 10 has a better nickname than this.
...says bulmabriefs.

EDIT: I'm with Zeuzio - what a condescending douche. OMG WORSE THINGS HAVE HAPPENED IN HISTORY SO ALL YOUR UPSET OVER DEATH AND OTHER IS INVALID. That's like those idiots who compare military hardship with teenage angst as a way to blow off kids' thoughts as stupid and asinine. Yes, they are - and that's part of why those military people are going through hell: to protect kids so that they can have only minor issues to deal with in their lives instead. So that they can whine and be kids and be safe to think the world isn't fair because those Jimmy Chus they wanted were out of stock.

Besides, the arts affect a lot of people in a lot of ways. Saying the death of someone like David Bowie or George Michael or anyone else isn't important when their music/performances not only touched millions (if not billions) of people's hearts, but also shaped modern culture in various ways is just stupid.

And sure, let's get down on people because they literally fear for their rights (with good reason, as has been shown) because someone came into power who hasn't been taught basic diplomacy or even knows the laws well enough to understand what they can and cannot do. Let's not just shove people's fear and sadness under the rug of "others have it worse so quit bitching" shall we?

Hell, that video didn't even have anything to do with this topic.

Bulma Briefs is a character from Dragon Ball Z. 144 is gross. I'm a gross (crass) bulma. What's the problem? It's a username I use cuz I'm too lazy to change something I made at age 14.

He is condescending, yea. The whiny part is actually (mostly) him parodying other whiny ppl. The video, for those who couldn't get through it, was that ppl obsessed over how "2016 is the worst year ever" because celebrities died. The point being, the only one who should consider it the worst year ever if Carrie Fisher died? Her relatives!

Actual worst year ever? Possibly 1918. World War I, plus Spanish Flu killed about 1/20 of the entire world's population. And the next year, despite World War I over, it sparked some of the problems of World War II (and our current Middle East issues).

If the author of that video died tomorrow, we shouldn't mourn him. If PewDiePie died, same deal. Why should this even be controversy? He doesn't agree with you, unsubscribe or ignore.
"Maybe we should try to live in a world where we don't aggressively misinterpret other people's creative work in a craven effort to get clicks."
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Liberty
from Deckiller
ocd alert: can someone fix the contraversial (sic) topic title?
Fixed it for you.

Hate to break it to you, but you did not. It's 'controversy'.

from kentona
"Maybe we should try to live in a world where we don't aggressively misinterpret other people's creative work in a craven effort to get clicks."

The human race is much too depraved for this.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=halibabica
from Liberty
from Deckiller
ocd alert: can someone fix the contraversial (sic) topic title?
Fixed it for you.
Hate to break it to you, but you did not. It's 'controversy'.

Thatsthejoke.gif
halibabica
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Here, I'll make a worse one: Controversy? More like contravesty! *knee slap*
I hope this doesn't come off as too cheesy, but I feel like the whole situation just shows that people jump to conclusions way too quickly. We're all inclined to see what we want to see but every so often we should stop and question things.

On another note, it sounds like Maker was really trimming down on their partners and some of them even spoke out about being happy not to have to be in obligations with them anymore.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
hali would that make you a contravestite
halibabica
No, that's the term for fans of Contra.
-deadloli-
Death threats are a banworthy offence.
Pewdiepie did nothing wrong. Racist jokes are a celebrated part of internets culture.

I honestly think everyone should be required to spend a year reading Nazi literature and propaganda and posting on Nazi forums, along with Marxist literature/sites, pro-pedo literature/sites, Muslims extremist literature/sites, etc. just to expand their worldviews.

I don't support racism, but I feel like the majority of the people attacking it in this thread have never read Mein Kampf or The Turner Diaries or The International Jew or anything like that, and just attack that worldview because they were taught to.

It all reeks of emotional knee-jerk reaction. And there are some valid reasons not to be racist, but I feel like most anti-racists OTI and elsewhere are just parroting the most popular opinion, and would have been Jim Crow supporters if they'd been alive when that was popular.
author=-deadloli-
Pewdiepie did nothing wrong. Racist jokes are a celebrated part of internets culture.

I honestly think everyone should be required to spend a year reading Nazi literature and propaganda and posting on Nazi forums, along with Marxist literature/sites, pro-pedo literature/sites, Muslims extremist literature/sites, etc. just to expand their worldviews.

I don't support racism, but I feel like the majority of the people attacking it in this thread have never read Mein Kampf or The Turner Diaries or The International Jew or anything like that, and just attack that worldview because they were taught to.

It all reeks of emotional knee-jerk reaction. And there are some valid reasons not to be racist, but I feel like most anti-racists OTI and elsewhere are just parroting the most popular opinion, and would have been Jim Crow supporters if they'd been alive when that was popular.

If you went to the average webforum, and did not share the approved view and yet also belong to a minority group but don't tell people, people may actually insult you without regard to the minorities that they are supposedly in favor of. Case in point: yesterday I wrote on facebook in regards to Fantasy and SciFi Rock My World making a fuss about Beauty and the Beast, "More of this crap. You have a gay scene, you don't, whatever. But we're tired of political issues. We're tired of cultural feuds. All of us live in this country. Stop trying to brainwash us with liberal garbage."

I am an LGBT person, and generally conservative. I got the normal people calling me homophobic, racist, etc (despite that I never said anything about gay stuff, only that this was a Fantasy and SciFi section and they decided instead to focus on "controversy"). I got people calling me an idiot, telling me how evil I was for being against gays and lesbians.

This is how people treat LGBT people when they disagree, and when they don't know they are LGBT people. Or any other minority when they can't see their face.

Diversity is about political correctness. Not actual diversity of ideas.
author=bulmabriefs144
If you went to the average webforum, and did not share the approved view and yet also belong to a minority group but don't tell people, people may actually insult you without regard to the minorities that they are supposedly in favor of. Case in point: yesterday I wrote on facebook in regards to Fantasy and SciFi Rock My World making a fuss about Beauty and the Beast, "More of this crap. You have a gay scene, you don't, whatever. But we're tired of political issues. We're tired of cultural feuds. All of us live in this country. Stop trying to brainwash us with liberal garbage."

I am an LGBT person, and generally conservative. I got the normal people calling me homophobic, racist, etc (despite that I never said anything about gay stuff, only that this was a Fantasy and SciFi section and they decided instead to focus on "controversy"). I got people calling me an idiot, telling me how evil I was for being against gays and lesbians.

I'm sure you're (obviously) not bigoted against LGBT people, and not to push us too far off-topic, but how is the inclusion of a single gay character "political"?

Diversity itself is not inherently political; it's a value-system choice that represents the broad audience that will be watching that film. It's only the people who have a problem with its depiction who are creating a needless 'feud' in the first place.

I'm not personally excited about the film (it looks rather soulless and tacky compared to the original), but I appreciate their willingness, on principle, to update social norms, expand the character palettes, and so on.
-deadloli-
Death threats are a banworthy offence.
author=bulmabriefs144
If you went to the average webforum, and did not share the approved view and yet also belong to a minority group but don't tell people, people may actually insult you without regard to the minorities that they are supposedly in favor of.

Diversity is about political correctness. Not actual diversity of ideas.

This exactly. I'm bisexual, and it's honestly surprising how many people have called me homophobic just based on things I've said online.

I wouldn't call myself a liberal or a conservative, but liberals tend to think I'm a conservative, and conservatives tend to think that I'm liberal, so I must be doing something right.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Oh hey look he had another controversy what a coincidence that this one guy everyone thought was racist keeps doing racist things.

halibabica
Yes, this one incident is the definitive proof of him being absolutely racist. His unbridled hatred for a certain group of people has finally been exposed. We should all take this Very Seriously and get extremely upset, writing angry posts and making sure everyone knows about it.

OR

We can recognize the context of the incident before jumping to wild conclusions. Have you ever sworn at a video game that pissed you off? From the sound of things, he was playing a game, was mad at something another player did, and used a racial slur to express his frustration. Admittedly, that's an odd thing to jump to mind for that, but is the intent really there? He couldn't know what the other player's race was, and the other player couldn't even hear it.

You can make a mountain out of this molehill if you want. It's just more of the same at this point.
A racist shitbag continues to be racist shitbag. What a surprise.
Does his nationality have something to do with this? I can't speak for Swedes in general, but it seems like the n word doesn't have the same cultural context in that part of the world. He also got famous at a young age which affects impulse control. Casual use of racial slurs in online games is also unfortunately a thing, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a major component in his early English language usage.

Might not be worth setting phasers on shun just yet.
author=halibabica
Have you ever sworn at a video game that pissed you off? From the sound of things, he was playing a game, was mad at something another player did, and used a racial slur to express his frustration.

It's in those heated moments that a person's true self gets exposed. 'Nigger' is evidently a standard part of his vernacular, enough that it was one of the first slurs to come to mind in a fit of rage.
Granted, that's not necessarily motivated by racism. It could be in his grab-bag of insults because he just likes the sound of it, but he ordinarily knows to only use it in the proximity of very close friends. "Dune coon" would be another example of a racial slur that's kind of funny.

halibabica
from Dyhalto
Granted, that's not necessarily motivated by racism. It could be in his grab-bag of insults because he just likes the sound of it, but he ordinarily knows to only use it in the proximity of very close friends. "Dune coon" would be another example of a racial slur that's kind of funny.

You've hit the nail on the head. There's a difference between using racial slurs and being an actual racist, but people (understandably) take one to indicate the other, and in a case like this, it's heavily magnified because the spotlight is on so bright.

So yes, I believe this to be the case, but I know his detractors will clamber all over it and exalt it as "hard proof."