SUMMER MOVIE WAGER

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'm still confident that I can win this.
Alright we're pretty far into the summer so I decided to tally up some midpoints. Even though this is the last week Guardians 2 is going to be #1, so next week most of these numbers will have changed by quite a bit.

The current scores (not yet counting international dark horses because those take more work to dig up, and also on a quick glance I don't think anyone has any international dark horse points yet):
1. Shinan, 55 points
2. kory_toombs, 53 points
3. kentona, 48 points
4. oddRABBIT, 45 points
5. pianotm, 36 points
6. Cap_H, 13 points
6. Sooz, 13 points

(Current top 10 is 1. Guardians of the Galaxy 2, 2. Wonder Woman, 3. Spider-man: Homecoming, 4. Despicable Me 3, 5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, 6. Cars 3, 7. Transformers: The Last Knight, 8. The Mummy, 9. Alien: Covenant, 10 Baby Driver)

Things that will make the standings change: How well War for the Planet of the Apes and Dunkirk do. Dunkirk opens next week and Apes opened this weekend and is probably looking at a 5-7 place in the list.

And since this is the summer movie thread anyway. What summer movies have you caught up with? What did you think? And all that yada yada.
...I haven't yet watched 9 out of the top 10 movies (I've only seen Guardians 2). I meant to watch a bunch of them. And I think we have plans to watch Despicable Me 3 Tuesday. Meh.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Wonder Woman is surprisingly good.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Wonder Woman was better than I thought it would be, but Spiderman was more average than I thought it would be. Guardians 2 did better than I expected too.

Anyways the top 3 picks were pretty obvious from the get go.
Everything else was a guess.
I guessed wrong on Rough Night. That's what is going to kill me. I also overestimated Captain Underpants.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So, Valerian's not popular?
Also, more people should watch The Beguiled.
On Box Mojo, Despicable Me has a bigger gross than Homecoming
Valerian's got some negative reviews. I think it looks neat, but it's going to get buried.
author=Cap_H
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/seasonal/?view=releasedate&yr=2017&season=Summer

EDIT:
Also Valerian is going to do mad money internationally. I had kinda hoped it'd do well in the NA region but I kinda doubt it is.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=Cap_H

The lead actor is very strongly disliked. Critics think it's a major miscasting and that seems to be mostly what hurts the movie. They're not particularly fond of Rihanna, either.
author=Shinan
author=Cap_H

EDIT:
Also Valerian is going to do mad money internationally. I had kinda hoped it'd do well in the NA region but I kinda doubt it is.

Me too, which is why it's in my International Dark Horses list.

author=pianotm
author=Cap_H
The lead actor is very strongly disliked. Critics think it's a major miscasting and that seems to be mostly what hurts the movie. They're not particularly fond of Rihanna, either.

Why? Like, he is personally disliked? or they just think that he was miscast in this role?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
kentona
author=pianotm
author=Cap_H
Why? Like, he is personally disliked? or they just think that he was miscast in this role?

Critics are calling him bland and saying he's too young. They actually prefer his co-star saying that her performance saves the movie.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Is it the Chronicle guy? I've always liked him but can see how he looks/comes off young. Haven't seen the movie myself, so can't say for sure on his ability.

edit: Just realized how that read! I've seen Chronicle and liked it a lot
I enjoyed Chronicle well enough. It was a different take on the superhero genre. Had a bit of Akira-vibe to it to, in tone.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=Shinan
author=Cap_H

EDIT:

Yeah, I clicked the wrong despicable me.
Dunkirk has come out and did very well (why oh why didn't I put it on my list?) so I thought it time to do an update as we are closing in on the end of the summer.

1. kentona, 50 points
1. Shinan, 50 points
3. kory_toombs, 44 points
4. oddRABBIT, 41 points
5. pianotm, 32 points
6. Cap_H, 19 points
7. Sooz, 7 points

This time I added the international dark horses points, since the Mummy is in the international top ten but has dropped out of the North American one, giving kentona and oddRABBIT a point. (and because kentona's one international dark horse point makes it a tie for first place!)
I bet on the wrong girls comedy. Girls Trip is doing miles better than Rough Night.
I did a bit of update on my document, but I won't post the update here until next weekend because apparently Dunkirk is going to take another place (cracking the top 5) and that is likely going to be the final positions. (The whole thing ends the first weekend of September)

I also did a look at the international top10. My hope for Valerian is this weekend as it opens in China. With a 100m opening it'll get into the international top10 (which is entirely possible). Beating out War for the Planet of the Apes at 10th place. But Apes hasn't opened in China yet but will do so at some point in September, so while it'll likely beat Valerian it might not do so in time.

The largest grossing international summer film by the way is Wolf Warrior 2, which has made 770 million in China alone. (And around 5 million in the rest of the world, so you're excused if you haven't heard of it, just like how you're excused if you're not from North America and have never heard of Captain Underpants, which made 75% of its money from North America, the second highest in the top 15 of NA films, the highest being Girls Trip which has made 90% of its money in NA so far.)

Yes. I'm bored at work and staring at numbers.
I have heard of Wolf Warrior 2. It's draw is so insane!

Also, will this be another year as runner-up for me?

E:
I was not runner-up, I was actually #1 in the international list. I misremembered. I actually was 4th in the real results list.
They made a Wolf Warrior 2? That's hilarious. The first one was such a gratuitous propaganda flick. I hope the second is just as absurd. Who are the bad guys this time? Judging by the IMDB summary, more evil westerners xD
Pages: first prev 123 next last