SPLITTING PROBABILITY

Pages: 1
This is a math question. RPG Maker Fes is coming out soon, and I've been practicing with the kinds of limitations it's going to impart. The only random number generator it has is a probability branch. You can choose for something to 30% happen and 70% not to happen, or 40% and 60%, and so on. In this way, you can have a variable be 1 or 2, or 3 or 6, etc...

The thing is, to get a truly random number range, you would need to nestle a lot of these within each other. And this brings up the problem of how to split probability evenly.

If I want an even choice between, say, four choices, what percentages would I choose for each branch?

Let's say I have the possibility of the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4. At each junction, I can only choose one number among the remaining numbers. Would that mean that the first junction is 25%/75%, and the next junction 33%/66%, and the final junction between the two remaining numbers, 50%/50%? This is what I first came up with, but it doesn't seem even to me.

Thanks for reading,
Zack
I think you're correct. The first number would have a 25% chance of happening, the second would have 0.75 * 0.33 =~ 25%, third and fourth 0.75 * 0.67 * 0.5 =~ 25%. Give or take a few decimals. Although not being able to directly assign random numbers inside a range seems kind of stupid.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
If you need one of the choices to be true, you need variable to choose a random number between 1 and 4 (0-3). Or to make four different calculation with a condition that the next one in row takes place only if the previous one is unsuccessful. These should be 50% or 25, 50, 75, 100 in randomized order.
Pages: 1