(2017) RMN BIRTHDAY EVENT IDEAS

Everyone make a b-day cake for RMN (digitally or otherwise) and post a picture.

Then eat it if not digital.

except I'm not eating it (because it isn't mine)
I like the RMN Cameo or Escape the room ones.
I would say Smashers and Bash, Badaption or normal, especially the first two: they sound really interesting and fun to do! Just please not retro...
As for the 10 days or hours... I would say that it depends on the event which we choose. 10 hours is of course more challenging but if the event needs time and much work to do, i would say then that 10 days are better. Otherwise it could be possible that some of us couldn't make it till the time limit and have to exit the event... Which is a pity, and sadly it's something that already happened in the past.
I like the escape idea or the generic theme event. Oh! We could do another pixel quilt! Those are fun.
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
Retroville would be nice especially with the time limit. I also like the escape the room one because I've never thought about how I would design a game like that and it started the wheels a'turning.
1. I'd prefer 10 days, 10 hours will get more entrants I think, but it has the downside of limiting access for those who have more commitments and it hurts those that don't have a lot of resources on-hand and small ideas already in progress

2. I like the room escape one, it's a very simple idea and you can take it many ways.

I feel like the cameo one is a good idea if this is meant to be a game dev party for the social group of RMN who hang around in chat/forums. That's okay, but it would exclude me (as all social events in my youth and school years did.)

Considering many of us are building RPGs with RM I think many can relate to how it feels for everyone else to have a big party where you know you're not really invited.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
*Grins. How about we have an early event where we work together to make a pixel quilt, then have ten days to make a chapter for a game inspired by it?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Anaryu
1. I'd prefer 10 days, 10 hours will get more entrants I think, but it has the downside of limiting access for those who have more commitments and it hurts those that don't have a lot of resources on-hand and small ideas already in progress

When we did the 8 hour game make you had a whole weekend and you just had to record 8 hours of work within that weekend so you could do things at your own pace. I'm cool with 10 days too though.
author=CashmereCat
author=Anaryu
When we did the 8 hour game make you had a whole weekend and you just had to record 8 hours of work within that weekend so you could do things at your own pace. I'm cool with 10 days too though.

Can everyone record their work though? I kind of "Let's Make" done by a bunch of people over 10 hours of recorded video could be a neat thing on top of the games themselves.
I'm pretty sure they just mean keep track of.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah, I meant keep track of but I also did try to record myself and do a timelapse. Don't know where that file went. I have the feeling that it didn't record properly or something.

Edit: I also remember that the very fact that I was recording myself and that I was conscious of the fact I was recording myself caused me to work even harder because I didn't want to look like I was slacking off or anything. Working under time constraints like that made me treasure every precious moment. It was one of my most valuable game making experiences I've had because it was a good training experience in working hard and fast. I wish I could work that fast and with that tenacity to limit distraction all the time.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'm unlikely to finish if the event will be 10 days long. I got six or seven exams during next two weeks and i can't imagine that i'll be able to concentrate on something for multiple days. Also it would break the tradition of birthday events, which always were x years/ x hours or less.
I would be up to another short event in june/july. Swap in the middle 2, perhaps?

Edit: sorry for making it personal.
We staff were joking around and floated the idea of rips-only. Figured we'd see how you lot responded to that idea (it would cut down on having to make your own resources).

XP

That said, I'll put up a poll this weekend so that we can get a proper vote happening.
Make a game as if it is 2007

E:
of course this means that you don't actually finish it, and maybe not even release a demo, but only some really nice screenshots. uncredited resource lifts, a mishmash of rips and midi instrumentals of PS2 games, pie-in-the-sky ambitions.
I'm going to add blinking charactersets, but only for the playable character so it looks weird in towns and the common event that does it won't run during cutscenes which makes it look even weirder when everybody quits blinking.

It's going to have a CMS that's designed like a geocities website with some unintelligible cursive fonts and a front end for the real menu because replacing that would take a ton of work and only used for some awkwardly shoved in gameplay system. Maybe some kind of JP system, the game will tell you how much you've earned once the battle is finished and the player is back on the map.

It's going to have a farming minigame designed where a 50x50 map has an event on every farmable tile and every variable reference is hardcoded and it'll take a year of updating the 2025 events to do so.

The main characters will be Sirion from Rudra and Sabin from FF6 to Phantasy Star tilesets with Lunar and Wild Arms mids as the soundtrack. The plot will be lampshading the JRPG Cliche List and be named Legend of the Lost Fantasy.

No game will be released but there will be three screenshots. One of Sirion and Sabin standing on a mountain summit, one of a dungeon with a boulder rolling puzzle, and one of a mysterious man in a castle or mansion looking out of a window.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=kentona
Make a game as if it is 2007

E:
of course this means that you don't actually finish it, and maybe not even release a demo, but only some really nice screenshots. uncredited resource lifts, a mishmash of rips and midi instrumentals of PS2 games, pie-in-the-sky ambitions.
So just keep doing what I've been doing? Gotcha ;D
I vote for the RMN Cameo idea. Seems interesting.
I'm also up for a normal event if that is chosen.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
I would like a 10 hour event centered around an escape the room theme, mainly due to the fact that I haven't done either of those things and think that it would be good practice for me.

Although I think it would be interesting to see what people can come up with within 10 hours of work even if those hours are spread throughout the weekend.