'GAME LENGTH' SPECIFIC

Pages: first 12 next last
Let's add an extra field to the gamepage sidebar that shows an approximate playtime. It can use a dropdown menu with options like...
Less than 1 hour
1-3 hours
4-8 hours
10-20 hours
20-50 hours
50+ hours

And then incorporate it into the Search as a possible filter.
Obviously there's a huge backlog of games that don't and will never have the field filled out, but so what? If it's not started sometime, it'll never get done.
We did talk about this at some point but then realised that creators can under or over estimate the time for their games to play. Some people say "under 2 hours" for a game that might take over 5, mainly because they know everything about the game and the players don't.

The amount of times I've played event games that were supposed to be around the hour mark and ended up a couple of hours is well documented.

If people want it we can look at it, but it's not going to be highly correct information for the most part.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
At the very least it's gotta be more accurate than people describing how good their game's story and gameplay are. And I think it's a way that a LOT of people really do filter out which games they're willing to play.

One way to deal with fuzzy numbers could be to have overlapping lengths in the choices. This would also account for the fact that different players spend different amounts of time. Something like:

Less than 1 hour
30 minutes to 4 hours
2 hours to 10 hours
5 hours to 25 hours
More than 12 hours

I'd like to think that most people are at least aware of whether they overestimate or underestimate their own game's gameplay time, even if they don't know by how much. At some point in your life you've gotten one friend to play something for you, and you've either watched them struggle to figure out what to do because none of your directions make sense to anyone but you, or watched them skip talking to every single person in your entire lovingly crafted town and run from all the fights because they aren't necessary.
An alternate solution might be players submitting their playtimes similar to howlongtobeat.com. As an honest working man I've actually been using that site to see whether a game is completeable within a good week. Categories could be based on demo/completed or if the player themselves actually finished it or not. Or even 100%ed the game etc. At the very least, add a separate entry inside reviews to prompt critics playtime.
I also think there's a lot of merit in doing something similar to howlongtobeat.com, not exclusively for measuring game length, but to also gauge where player dropoff is and help developers find weak spots within a game.

If you look on howlongtobeat.com's individual completions for a game, it gives a little space for a comment. Often these are things like 'skipped as much dialogue as possible', 'finished all sidequests', or 'played through half of NG+ for trophy X'. Sometimes it's something more like 'beat boss X, which I'm going to call completing the game, even though it totally isn't'. And that's what made me think.

Rather than demand a completed time be given, it could easily be used to say how far one was in the game when they quit, in addition to how long before they quit. This doesn't have to be anything super-specific, even something like 'got bored in the third dungeon', 'had to grind too much after water palace', or 'didn't know where to go after getting the flute'. Because, and I just might be wrong, but the vast majority of people don't actually finish RPGMaker games. That is at least some form of meaningful feedback besides a full-fledged review, of which I know are far and few between. Failing that, it's at least a measure of how long most people play the game, and whether or not that's a more important metric than time to complete it is a separate concern.

EDIT: Later noticed that howlongtobeat.com actually HAS a thing like that, in the Retired tab. Doesn't really change my point, though. And yes, I'm aware there's a certain nature to say 'I'll get back to playing this', and never actually do, thus never submitting anything, but the option being there is more important than it being used in ideal circumstances.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
I think LockeZ's overlap suggestion is a good one, though maybe less broad in scope. I'd be surprised to see a game that was 5 to 25; how does one drag their feet for 20 hours? Is 5 the developer's best speedrun?

But although such a feature would be very informal, it could also be edited by the dev based on feedback. I imagine a dev would want the number to be accurate, so it should do more good than harm.
Yes! Generate more interest in this idea, people. Show it some support :D
Libby basically said "Nooooo" and flipped the bird at me when we talked about it on Discord.
I did not! I explained that where-as most other stats on the site are quite accurate, something like this would be prone to guessing at best and that it can't really generate a proper game time since people play differently. Someone saying "it's under 10 hours" can mean anywhere from between 20 minutes to 9.5 hours, but even something like "under 1 hour" can mean between 5 minutes and 58 minutes, and even then there's no way of telling if someone's experience will be 58 minutes or 1 1/2 hours, because play time can vary a LOT.

If someone downloads an 'under 1 hour' game expecting something around half an hour long and then get an hour and a half or two hours of game because of how they played vs the creator, then the descriptor just wasn't useful for them.

I've seen a lot of games where the creator went "oh, yeah, it's about 10 minutes long" and then half an hour has passed, or have said "it should be 5 hours long" and someone gets through it in half that time (whether because they skipped through a lot of it or it just wasn't as long as the creator thought).

In fact, there's been some drama in the past over length of games in combination with reviews - one prominent example being the demo for Konstandin where the creator blew a gasket over the reviewer saying it only took them 10-15 minutes where the creator demanded they 'play it properly' because it didn't take the reviewer over 30 minutes.

If we were to add another stat, it should be one that is actually correct and not a guesstimate at best (especially when a '5 hour' game can range anywhere between 2 hours and 10 hours depending on the player).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=halibabica
I'd be surprised to see a game that was 5 to 25; how does one drag their feet for 20 hours?
Well I'm sure you can imagine an open world game that was 99% optional content. But that's not really what I meant.

Really my suggestion was to intentionally make the ranges much wider than anyone would ever pick for their own game, just to make sure it's accurate even if the developer is WAY off with their estimate. So if the developer thinks their game is 10 hours, they can mark their game as being in the 5-25 hour range, and they'll still be right whether people take half as long or twice as long as they expected.

Darken's idea is better than mine though. Do that instead.
author=Liberty
If we were to add another stat, it should be one that is actually correct and not a guesstimate at best (especially when a '5 hour' game can range anywhere between 2 hours and 10 hours depending on the player).

Most players have a good idea of their own play style. If a game says ~10 hours, LockeZ knows he can burn through it in roughly half the time, whereas I'll grind and make it more like 15.
The important thing I'm after is having a means of searching by Playtime. Otherwise, Blackmoon Prophecy and Death Wish - The RPG will come up in the same searches and I have no way of discerning length, unless it's explicitly written in the gamepage description.

But I like Darken's idea. It's the best one, as long as it's not outside the scope of RMN.
I also like Darken's idea but how would we go around implementing it? Have save files upload and read by the site? Have it manually input by the players themselves after finishing the game? Have it part of the review process, but linked to a stat on the page and a search feature?

I'd probably pull for part of the review process (so that there'd be an option to put in a general hour pick in a drop-down box and that can be averaged on the part of the game page. So if two reviews are added where one reviewer said 2 hours and the other said 5 hours, it'd be set at around the 3.5 hour mark.

Even then it'd be pretty freakin dicey depending on the amount of reviews and the differences between them.

Hell, even with a 'how long did this take you to complete' question (hm...idea) we'd have to average the answers to get one number to cover all (unless we did it so that it picked the lowest time and highest time and presented that as 'between x and y'. Even then, someone might just put a big fat 0 as their answer and fuck the results. And how would that tie to search? Would it look for the highest or lowest time? Or both? Averaging might work but then it'd still be inaccurate based on the answers given and discrepency between them and the amount of answers given, too.)

maybe liberty should learn Python
Save files sounds too complicated given the variety of engines and methods there are, and they're just as fallible as an anecdote (did the user leave the game on to make supper etc.?) and can be edited anyway. It would be nice if it were as streamlined as Steam, but alas.

I think pursuing this idea involves accepting that playtimes will be submitted with the assumption of good faith. It's always going to be a super rough estimate the less people there are for each given game, but I think people can understand that. For example a 5 star review on a game is pretty obvious to people that it may not be the most conclusive impression so far (I would hope). Besides, measurements of quality are a much bigger deal than measuring quantity. I think people just want a vague idea when it comes to how much time they're going to likely invest.

As for reviews vs straight up any user submitting: The issue comes down to getting a good sample size vs wanting some hoops to be jumped through in order to not come off as a sockpuppet account. I think I'm leaning on it being added to reviews since there's already an approval process, a highschool level assignment, and a simple rating required to do you might as well add it to the pile so you don't have to make a completely new form for such a thing. If the person admits they didn't beat the game it just doesn't become part of the average, there's just at least some prompt for the reviewer to inform readers.

On the side of "any user submits" my devils advocate is that if it works for howlongtobeat, it'll probably work for RMN. They're different sites but having a large sample size is tempting and democracy should overcome weird discrepancies. The authoritarian inside of me thinks there should be at least a tiny hoop to go through before submitting but it sounds like more stuff to add to such a feature. Again, I lean on reviews as it's just additive that way from a implementation standpoint.

tldr My take boils down to that even a vague idea of a game's playtime can be useful to users. Adding it to the existing review submissions seems the most convenient and would at least be a start. Any foreseeable issues probably lie with how avg review ratings work anyway. Straight up answering "am I playing a 40 hour experience or a 1 hour romp?" through a system would more than accomplish the goal.
There's not really anything to gain by making fakes or intentionally lying about a game's length like there is with a review. Unless you're aiming to target a specific kind of audience or think it'd be hilarious to have your game's average playtime as 13:37 or something dumb like that. For the former, all I can see is you just kicking the game from one audience to another, and chances are, irritating your new target when they find the misinformation. Besides, how exactly do you moderate a number? Unless they know something's up, it's pretty hard to prove its falsehood.

I also wouldn't fret too much about which way takes more effort to code in; they both require checking a particular dropdown box, and finding the average among those reviews, whatever form they take. Or at least, that's what comes to my mind.

And again, all but the most popular games here struggle to have more than one or two reviews, and all this talk about averages kind of demands a certain quantity behind it (I also believe there's a certain stigma/intimidation factor that prevents as many people from writing full reviews that hinders this, but that could me as an extreme outsider looking in). Also, those who go into a game with the intent to review probably have a different mindset and pacing than those just looking for a good time. Putting it only on full-length reviews would push it to the high end of the spectrum, just as letting the developer set it would push towards the short end.
I like the idea of a Game Length field on the gamepage. But it really feels like you guys are over complicating it.
I'm down for LockeZ suggestion. If a game would be mislabeled it would probably become clear from reviews or comments and the author could change it.
author=Liberty
We did talk about this at some point but then realised that creators can under or over estimate the time for their games to play. Some people say "under 2 hours" for a game that might take over 5, mainly because they know everything about the game and the players don't.

The amount of times I've played event games that were supposed to be around the hour mark and ended up a couple of hours is well documented.

If people want it we can look at it, but it's not going to be highly correct information for the most part.

Still think it's an idea. Just widen the game margins to Under 10 hours, 10-20 hours, 20-45 hours, 45-75, 75-100, 100+.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Darken
On the side of "any user submits" my devils advocate is that if it works for howlongtobeat, it'll probably work for RMN. They're different sites but having a large sample size is tempting and democracy should overcome weird discrepancies.

I'm in favor of this approach. Although the numbers are informal, there comes a bigger draw with them and the statistics should balance out. Tying it to reviews seems like a good idea, but most players are not reviewers, and not all reviewers even finish the game. If it were a field on the review and the reviewer said, "Well, I quit after xx minutes." then the stats would be invalidated instantly.

The most reliable data would come from the players who enjoyed the game enough to give it an honest play time. At the very least, the game's creator could input their own play time so everything has at least one number to go off of. Beyond that, how we crunch and display those numbers is all that really matters. Showing the smallest, largest, and average of the times would probably be best.
I think there's a lot of value even in imprecise measures here.

author=Liberty
If someone downloads an 'under 1 hour' game expecting something around half an hour long and then get an hour and a half or two hours of game because of how they played vs the creator, then the descriptor just wasn't useful for them.

It's less useful than a descriptor that would have accurately told them that it would take them an hour and a half to two hours to finish. But it's useful if they were thinking "I want something pretty short, I don't have time for something that'll take me 5+ hours or so."

Or, if a game developer says on their page that their game should take about 8-10 hours to beat, and someone finishes it in 6, they might be a little put out, but they'll probably be a lot less put out than if they downloaded it under the mistaken impression that it was going to be a 30+ hour epic.

If someone is using game length descriptions as an element of how interested they are in playing the game, then a lot of the usefulness of that measure is going to be retained even at low levels of precision. A person who's interested in a fifteen hour game is probably also going to be interested if the game actually takes them about ten hours, and a person who'll go for a one hour game will probably also go for a two hour one. A person who's interested in a fifteen hour game quite possibly isn't interested in a two hour one, but self-rating by a developer is unlikely to result in a discrepancy that large.
Dyluck
For thousands of years, I laid dormant. Who has disturbed my slumber?
I also think being able to search games by approximate playtime would be highly useful, and I don't think accuracy is a huge concern nor do we need a complex system to measure it.

People simply want to have at least a starting point to filter for a shorter or longer game. If a game is shorter than expected, no big deal, you got free time then. If it's longer than expected, you'll keep playing if you like it, and stop if you don't anyways. It's not like there's a lot of people trying to portion out an exact 1hr lunch break for a game. We just need an rough approximation to narrow down the search, that's all.

Right now there's no way to search for that other than to click on a random game and hope the playtime is written in the description. With a length filter, at least you can get a bunch of results that you can start to sift through for something you want, even if it's not highly precise.
Pages: first 12 next last