COMMERCIAL GAME DOWNLOADS

Pages: 1
So I have a commercial game. It was created with RPGMakerVX. I would like to put the game on RMN. I know that certain rules apply to commercial games so I wanted to clarify a few things prior to making the submission:

When creating a download for a commercial game, the Submission Rules indicate that there must be some sort of free content to play if it is directly hosted on the site. So, if I just place the URL link to my website in the section provided--where the game can be obtained--do I bypass the rule for free-to-play download? Or do I still have to have some sort of free download somewhere on the site?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I really like RMN and want to be sure I'm staying within the rules.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Well no, you don't. Ideally you should put up a demo here.
I'm certainly not opposed to making a free playable demo. I guess what I'm asking is about that URL link on the Add Download page. Can this link 'start' the download? or does it need to take you off site to a location where the download can take place? Or...will either work and stay within the guidelines?
I think what you're describing is fine as long as I can:
1- click the link
2- A download starts of a game with free playable content
Or
2- I am transported on a different website where there is a download button clearly visible.

And of course if you are hosting the game somewhere else please don't use ad.fly or anything like that, you will get lynched.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

You can put links on your game page. They can lead to store pages, etc..
The download button must download something or connect to site that downloads something. That must be free. You are not required to put a download inside the download button at all. You can use your page to advertise all you want and just put the links on the page itself.

Note, if you do no put a download connected to your download button your game cannot be reviewed.

You must still pass the minimum requirements to get a game page approved.
500 character description and 3 screen shots minimum. (Of decedentish quality.)
Thank you Superstroke and kory_toombs. I think this clears it up nicely. By not adding a download link I lose the ability to be reviewed. This is not good. After all, Reviews not only allow the possible player to get a prior-to-play opinion about a project, but they are very helpful to the developer too. The feedback in reviews is essential to understanding the player's perspective and often leads to alterations for the best in their projects. I think I'm going to pass on putting the game here for now. It's not an RPG anyway.

Thanks for the help you guys.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=Superstroke
I think what you're describing is fine as long as I can:
1- click the link
2- A download starts of a game with free playable content

This, pretty much. Objects in the "Download" tab are strictly for free downloads, and downloads with paywalls are disallowed. I think what you can do to for a paid download is link to the store page (or whatever) in the game description.

There has been some talk of having a "buy now" link for commercial game downloads, but, I don't know where that is, priority-wise, in regards to other possible changes to RMN's codebase.
Pages: 1