I WOULD LIKE TO REVIEW SOME GAMES THAT HAVEN'T BEEN REVIEWED

Pages: first prev 12 last
Very In Depth Review Of To Crime Nirvana

This Review Brought To You By Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey.

To Crime Nirvana is, relative to its quality, perhaps the single most overlooked game on rpgmaker.net. A complete, well written game with good gameplay and completely custom graphics, it deserves a lot more attention than the paltry 39 downloads and 0 Reviews it's gotten in the year or so since it came out (numbers accurate at the time of writing). It clearly slipped through the cracks somehow and this is just the kind of game I'm trying to draw attention to. Let's begin.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: SWIM is probably closer to a professional criminal than to a professional game designer, and so all of the opinions below are colored by that, as well as the fact that I'm a big fan of the hard boiled crime genre.

Story
To Crime Nirvana's story is both its best asset and its worst flaw, in my opinion. It's trying to walk the line between two different tones, one of relatively gritty realism and one of whimsical absurdism, and the latter consistently muddles the appeal of the former, and makes the world difficult to believe in and care about.

Ryuki is a street thug who used to work for the kingpin of crime, until "King Crimeson" got locked up for tax evasion. During the kingpin's reign, his utter domination of the criminal underworld lead paradoxically to a far lower level of chaos than the police were able to achieve. But with the King locked up the same way they got Al Capone (and other, less famous felons) Ryuki is making a half-assed effort to go kind of, sort of straight.

Ryuki soon meets Kat, who I initially thought was a girl because of both name and portrait, but who is actually a (very) gay man. And a satanist. The two become a couple and move in together, along with their cat (one of exactly two female characters in the game by my count), Salem. Which is a cool name for a cat.

The King of Crime makes an announcement from prison, a rambling incoherent screed about how if all of the city's gangs begin running riot, one will ascend to Crime Nirvana. Because this game is, in part, a comedy game, this insane rambling is indeed enough to convince the city's gangs (all of which eventually turn out to be quirky to the point of harmlessness, except for one which should have been treated more seriously, more on that later) to run riot. After their dinner date is disrupted, having nothing better to do, Ryuki, Kat, and their actual cat Salem set out to stop this nonsense by systematically tracking down all of the city's gang leaders and beating the snot out of them.

I didn't know what Crime Nirvana was when I downloaded this game and frankly I still don't after having beaten it, but I enjoyed the journey.

At this point, I want to praise the quality of the writing. It is far and away better than what is encountered in most indie and RM games. Characterization was very well done and there were several lines that were quite funny, and a great sense of humor overall.

Good writing, kind of crummy graphics, but see below.

TCN demonstrated one of my favorite things in game writing which is when it acknowledges the game mechanics, especially to humorous effect, i.e. Kat is rightfully embarrassed that he hits less hard than a housecat, and indeed, Salem's damage output is consistently better (see ACTION below for more details on gameplay).

TCN's writing has some serious tonal flaws which I will discuss in the next paragraph, but overall it is very skilled writing. Another aspect of the storytelling I want to draw attention to, while I'm praising the writing, is the fact that each enemy you vanquish is specifically depicted as being injured and defeated, but not KILLED. While I have to say it's a bit soft for a crime-themed game, I appreciate that thought was put into it at all, as opposed to the default approach of "our heroes murder everything and everyone that gets in their way because that's just what heroes do" murderhobo bullshit seen in 95% of RPGs.

Okay, now onto my beef with the writing. I don't know what the exact rules of IGMC 2017 (for which this was made) were, but they don't completely excuse this issue either. For a game that deals at-least-somewhat seriously with the criminal underworld, there is a shocking LACK of profanity. If you talk to real life criminals, you're going to hear a "motherfucker" every other sentence if not every sentence. But I have a more specific issue.

The game's creators obviously live in a community or culture that is very tolerant of homosexuality and alternative lifestyles. If I was feeling mean, I might even say that being coddled by this environment negatively impacted the game's writing. The American criminal underworld has always been extremely conservative and reactionary in its way, even in 2018, and is, broadly speaking, extremely intolerant of homosexuality outside of prison, for which you 'get a pass' sense you're around only men for years at a time. I can certainly believe the DJ, the Roller Derby chick, and the Graffiti artist being fine with and not giving a shit that the protagonists are openly gay (those three bosses, see below, are also incidentally ones that I really felt like the PCs were being total assholes beating up on). However, the generic pinstripe gangster and more importantly, Lopez, should absolutely have been the opposite of tolerant. The absence of the word "faggot" is legitimately nothing less than a serious mistake in the game's writing, as is Lopez' enthusiastic reception to Ryuki and his boyfriend. I mentioned above that I didn't take off points for Ryuki and Kat being gay because that was just a personal aesthetic preference. I did take off points for the fact that none of the underworld lowlives they went to fight ever called either of them a faggot, or worse.

I know when we engage in escapist fantasy that sometimes the last thing we want is to be reminded of the ugliness of the real world, but if you are telling a story about crime and being even a little bit serious (and yes, I do think that a story with a magical cat can still be somewhat serious), you've already engaged with those ugly realities, and you're responsible for maintaining verisimilitude. Of course, this opinion is informed by the declaration about SWIM that I made at the start of this review.

Action
So I guess, structurally, TCN is a little bit like Megaman X, if Megaman X featured gay criminals and a cat, and was a turn based RPG. What I'm getting at is, the game is a series of seven boss fights, and the middle five can be fought in any order you like. Me, for instance, I fought DJ Comet Rider, then the Roller Derby babe Rey McSkiff (the only HUMAN female character in the game), then Lopez "The Knife" Ramzes, then graffiti artist Amatoli Smalls, then greaser in chief Darryl Bishop. All I'll say about the final boss is that it wasn't who I was expecting it would be, that's for sure, and that I was planning on quitting after losing to the final boss, because frankly I didn't think that a couple of gay hoodlums and their cat should be able to beat (SPOILERS). But as it happened, with Kat and Salem both 'Retired' (Kat had 8 MP when Salem died, and Revive costs 10 MP), and Ryuki low on HP and completely out of MP, I managed to throw a punch that defeated (SPOILERS) and thus was able to view the game's epilogue and comprehensive credits.

So basically, all of the gameplay here is boss battles. The battle system is basically the default, front-view VX Ace battle system. The boss battles are good! They're well balanced and fun to play and clever, especially considering the limitation that your party never levels up or learns new skills (even in Megaman X you pick up a new weapon from each boss you beat).

Ryuki is your puncher, and is good at it, but limited by very low MP.

Crime is objectively the best battle command in any RPG ever made.

Kat has pathetic damage output but a good bucketload of MP and heals the party using satanic dark magic which incidentally is a hilarious combination. Finally, the cat, Salem, is perhaps the most crucial party member, alternating between inflicting Bleeding and restoring the party's MP. Each boss fight was challenging enough that I thought about how to spend my turns, but I wasn't really on the ropes until the final boss, who as mentioned above, I BARELY beat. There's no gameplay outside the battles and those do start to feel a little bit samey due to the lack of leveling up or gaining new skills.

The game took me almost exactly one hour to play from start to finish. My final save was at 48 minutes or so and the final cutscene and boss took around 12-15 minutes. Of course, by this point I'm real good at RPGs. If you die more, it'll take you longer. : P

Sights
As you can see above, the tilesets and character sets are entirely custom, rendered in a vaguely gameboyesque retro pixel style that I don't particularly like. However, as I may have said before, my tastes don't matter when it comes to graphic. These graphics are totally custom. They get full marks.

I thought the character's face graphics and especially the boss graphics were far better, and I liked the way the battle system was laid out aesthetically. In particular, all of the battle animations were clearly custom made for this game, and that was really cool. Again, full marks.

Sounds
The music was acceptable throughout the game. I felt like the track during the final boss fight was way better than acceptable, though: that tune was downright exhilarating and very cool. In terms of sound effects, nothing in particular stood out except for this: as a cat owner, a meow is the exact opposite of a purr. I don't think finding a royalty free or even just-plain-free sound effect of a kitty purring would have been too hard, and then Salem's two purring based abilities could have sounded like they should have.

Fun-Fact: IRL, when they're injured, the vibrations a cat creates by purring to themselves actually contributes to their healing process: that's right, in real life, cats can heal themselves by purring. I'm not sure if the game's creators knew this but there's actually a tiny but of factual basis for Salem being able to restore her MP by purring, which I thought was cool whether it was done knowingly or not.

FINAL THOUGHTS
You should play this game if you like crime, gays, cats, or turn based RPG combat with flawless intra-party synergy and tight, well designed boss battles that can be fought in any order. Actually, you should play To Crime Nirvana no matter what. It's a rad cat that no one can resist.

I was so hoping that Salem would accept the offer that Ryuki and Kat refused at the end of the game. Man that would have been awesome.
Oh jeez, I was popping into the forum to ask if anyone could review Fishing Minigame 2 and I was surprised to see this!

So, the whole thing about trying to attain Crime Nirvana is actually inspired by Digital Devil Saga. The whole thing about that game is that you're leading a gang that's in a turf war with all these other gangs in a place called the Junkyard and the only one left standing gets to ascend to Nirvana. We were not sure how to properly execute the end game, but hopefully you liked that last fight, at the very least.

On the tone of the game, we were actually trying to go for a general silly tone, sort of like the more campy Batman stuff and didn't really intend to be super serious, so it's a world where our gay couple MCs get to live in peace. Also, trust me, I really wanted to put cursing in the game's script, but that was not allowed. Like, the DJ's table used to say "get fucked" but we regrettably had to change it.

I have to say though, uhhh, basically saying that our game isn't homophobic enough isn't exactly a normal criticism. I wanted to reply to this earlier but it just kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if I have to be honest. Aside from all that though, I'm glad that you had a good time and I'm flattered that you consider it more deserving attention.
author=scitydreamer
Oh jeez, I was popping into the forum to ask if anyone could review Fishing Minigame 2 and I was surprised to see this!

So, the whole thing about trying to attain Crime Nirvana is actually inspired by Digital Devil Saga. (...)

BLESSED BE THE GAME GODS! Now I am curious *puts on playlist*
On the tone of the game, we were actually trying to go for a general silly tone, sort of like the more campy Batman stuff and didn't really intend to be super serious, so it's a world where our gay couple MCs get to live in peace. Also, trust me, I really wanted to put cursing in the game's script, but that was not allowed. Like, the DJ's table used to say "get fucked" but we regrettably had to change it.

I have to say though, uhhh, basically saying that our game isn't homophobic enough isn't exactly a normal criticism. I wanted to reply to this earlier but it just kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if I have to be honest. Aside from all that though, I'm glad that you had a good time and I'm flattered that you consider it more deserving attention.

Actually, "Get Funked" is very clever so that's an example of restrictions producing good stuff! "Get Fucked" wouldn't have been very clever at all.

Anyway, I am deeply enmeshed in the American criminal subculture. I watch a lot of crime flicks, I read a lot of crime fiction, and um, yeah. Obviously I'm not going to come out and say "and I commit a lot of crimes!" but you get the idea. One of the things that I think caused me to take your game maybe too seriously is that it engages with the subject of crime fairly knowledgeably: King Crimeson getting pinched for tax evasion, Ryuki's difficulty in "going straight" (no pun intended), some of the lingo was fairly accurate, the general depiction of violence and hand to hand combat, the way the game illustrated how the criminal underworld touches the worlds of subcultures, entertainment, and sport, etc. But I won't deny that I may have taken your game too seriously. There was definitely plenty of ridiculousness there, but it wasn't the ridiculousness that caught my eye and made me want to play it, it was the crime.

It's crucial that you understand, though, as an artist and developer, that I was in no way saying your GAME wasn't homophobic enough. I mentioned that some (I think two) of its characters weren't homophobic enough. This is a crucial distinction and I hope you can get your head around it and it takes the bad taste out of your mouth. Not that it should matter, but I'm not straight myself. In any sense of the word.

FWIW the review I submitted to the site (I think it's still in the queue?) was edited and contains a bit less discussion of homophobia/the homosex in general. I just didn't think to go back here and edit my "screw the queue here's the review" post. I'll edit that now so it matches the text of the official review.
Hi (Gandalf?) StormCrow,

The single review currently up for this game is for the DEMO and is from years ago. I'm looking for a comprehensive review of the full game. Thanks!

https://rpgmaker.net/games/2693/
I will enter reviewing The Cerebral Symphony into the list of things I intend to do. But as that list currently includes "find a place to live", you can imagine it's pretty far down it.

Also...gandalf?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=StormCrow
Also...gandalf?

Reference to Lord of the Rings, probably.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
https://rpgmaker.net/games/2830/ (no starred review -=wink wink=-)

https://rpgmaker.net/games/5066/ (silly, sloppy chain game)

https://rpgmaker.net/games/8322/ (a demo made by nessy, rhyme, marimo and I)
author=StormCrow
I will enter reviewing The Cerebral Symphony into the list of things I intend to do. But as that list currently includes "find a place to live", you can imagine it's pretty far down it.

Also...gandalf?

Thanks! Go well with finding somewhere to live!

In LOTR, King Theoden pejoratively nicknames Gandalf 'Stormcrow' because he brings chaos with him wherever he goes. I actually thought your handle might be a reference to that.
In LOTR, King Theoden pejoratively nicknames Gandalf 'Stormcrow' because he brings chaos with him wherever he goes.

Dark wings, dark words, eh?

I actually thought your handle might be a reference to that.

Nope, just the Magic Card (boy am I a cultureless swine).

Tolkien isn't my cuppa in terms of fantasy fiction (see above game of thrones reference: maybe when I tire of my Edea avatar I'll grab a Melisandre one). I recognize his seminal influence in effectively creating the genre of Dungeons & Dragons, but I don't enjoy his writing because it's not very good (I'm talking about the sentence to sentence paragraph to paragraph craft of writing stuff, not the world building or myth making). Still good to know, I like my names to have as many layers of meaning as possible.

I will try to review The Cerebral Symphony in the next two weeks now that I have an apartment.

author=Deckiller
https://rpgmaker.net/games/2830/(no starred review -=wink wink=-)

Wait, this one is not the "sloppy, silly" chain game?

author=Deckiller
https://rpgmaker.net/games/8322/(a demo made by nessy, rhyme, marimo and I)

Well, I think the whole site knows at this point if they've been paying any attention that I have a big dumb DEVCRUSH on Nessy, so sure, why not!
author=StormCrow
I actually thought your handle might be a reference to that.
Nope, just the Magic Card (boy am I a cultureless swine).

Tolkien isn't my cuppa in terms of fantasy fiction (see above game of thrones reference: maybe when I tire of my Edea avatar I'll grab a Melisandre one). I recognize his seminal influence in effectively creating the genre of Dungeons & Dragons, but I don't enjoy his writing because it's not very good (I'm talking about the sentence to sentence paragraph to paragraph craft of writing stuff, not the world building or myth making). Still good to know, I like my names to have as many layers of meaning as possible.

I will try to review The Cerebral Symphony in the next two weeks now that I have an apartment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic card was actually subconsciously or consciously influenced by the episode from LOTR, to be honest...

I respectfully disagree with you about Tolkien's writing. It may not use the tricks of more contemporary fiction, but I actually think he is a wonderful prose stylist. Granted, he uses lots of archaic idioms and there is a lot that is just describing trees, or crags, or valleys, or other features of the landscape, but I do think his prose is beautiful. I think it's particularly beautiful if you pay attention to the sounds of it, which roll of the tongue like poetry--an opinion I've formed first-hand, as I've read the whole thing (and The Hobbit) to my wife. But of course you may disagree.

Congratulations on finding somewhere new to live! I hope you enjoy TCS, and I'm looking forwards to the review :)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic card was actually subconsciously or consciously influenced by the episode from LOTR, to be honest...

Undeniably true but keep in mind the idea of a storm crow bearing bad omens is also definitely an even earlier cultural folkloric thing Tolkien was tapping into.

"I respectfully disagree with you about Tolkien's writing. It may not use the tricks of more contemporary fiction, but I actually think he is a wonderful prose stylist."

Those quote-unquote "tricks" are actually elements of craftsmanship and style and plenty of the ones he neglects to use (like brevity) are not remotely "contemporary". Don't get me wrong, Tolkien is a fine writer if you have a tolerance for someone who runs quite long in terms of description. He wrote one of my favorite turns of phrase EVER: "Not all those who wander are lost". But once I'd read (in terms of Litfic) Hemingway or (in terms of genre fic) Pat Rothfuss and the like, Tolkien's prose was kind of ruined on me. Your mileage may vary obviously. I am grateful to JRR for the worldbuilding that let E. Gary Gygax make D&D, without which the world would be a shitty, shitty, shitty place (for one thing, we wouldn't have Final Fantasy). There is a very direct line from J.R.R. Tolkien through Advanced Dungeons & Dragons to Final Fantasy.

The Cerebral Symphony added to Recent Requests.
author=StormCrow
Undeniably true but keep in mind the idea of a storm crow bearing bad omens is also definitely an even earlier cultural folkloric thing Tolkien was tapping into.

Agreed.

author=StormCrow
Those quote-unquote "tricks" are actually elements of craftsmanship and style and plenty of the ones he neglects to use (like brevity) are not remotely "contemporary". Don't get me wrong, Tolkien is a fine writer if you have a tolerance for someone who runs quite long in terms of description. He wrote one of my favorite turns of phrase EVER: "Not all those who wander are lost". But once I'd read (in terms of Litfic) Hemingway or (in terms of genre fic) Pat Rothfuss and the like, Tolkien's prose was kind of ruined on me. Your mileage may vary obviously. I am grateful to JRR for the worldbuilding that let E. Gary Gygax make D&D, without which the world would be a shitty, shitty, shitty place (for one thing, we wouldn't have Final Fantasy). There is a very direct line from J.R.R. Tolkien through Advanced Dungeons & Dragons to Final Fantasy.

Debating about fantasy literature on the internet: one of my favourite things to do! I'm not sure about this. My projection is that much contemporary fantasy literature will be forgotten in a few centuries, except for the absolute greats of the genre, whereas LOTR will be remembered as one of the greatest--or at least most popular--books of the twentieth century because it just IS the absolute great of the genre. I think LOTR is primary mythmaking, whereas most other fantasy literature is just derivative of Tolkien. I think it’s interesting that Tolkien’s own source material was genuine ancient myth and legend. Most modern fantasy’s source material is Tolkien (along with other modern fantasy, without the original myths), which it is the worse for. Perhaps if modern fantasists went back to the original sources of Tolkien’s inspiration they would write better fantasy.

For example, you couldn't have Name of the Wind without Tolkien. I have read and greatly enjoyed Rothfuss, however I wouldn't say his work is anywhere near the standard of Tolkien's craftmanship. It's like juvenile self-indulgent male fantasy, James Bond in Middle Earth, in content, and the style is nowhere near as developed. I mean, rhyming couplets hidden in regular prose about having sex in different oddly named positions with a fairy in the woods? Come on!

By contrast, I think that LOTR has style AND substance. So I think we have much more to thank him for than just laying the cultural groundwork for DnD and Final Fantasy--though of course as a DnD and Final Fantasy player I am enormously thankful for him doing that too!

author=StormCrow
The Cerebral Symphonyadded to Recent Requests.

Thanks dude! If you want a reference point, one of my fans has just started a LP of the final chapter (having LP'd the whole of the rest of it previously). Looking forward to the review, whenever you get to it :)
author=Faenon
juvenile self-indulgent male fantasy

Yeah there's definitely at least some element of that to Name of the Wind and sequel Wise Man's Fear?. Penny Arcade gently poked fun at it once in a funny comic, but it wasn't the savage lampooning one comes to expect from Penny Arcade, as they're buddies with Pat Rothfuss and he plays in their (broadcast and offensively well-monetized) D&D game.

Actually I think the greatest literary work of fantasy fiction I have ever read would be Lev Grossman's The Magicians trilogy, which owes all of its debts to Chronicles of Narnia rather than Middle Earth.

Oh, right, this is a topic about me reviewing RPG Maker games. Let me go ahead and...stop totally derailing my own topic. If you want to reply about fantasy literature Faenon please do so by PM. : )
Pages: first prev 12 last