[RMMV] PLANNING TO BUY THE RPG MAKER BUNDLE ON HUMBLE BUNDLE BUT..

Pages: 1
I wondered how versatile is rpg maker ?
for instance often when I saw games made with RPG maker, they often had the exact same artstyle, often used the same kind of textboxes, menus, ost style etc

as a C#/C++ programmer and a composer, I was wondering how versatile rpg maker is because I'd like to make unique games, so is it possible for instance to modify absolutely everything such as the battle system (for instance making it as action rpg instead of rpg) the UI, the graphics (using HD spritesheets instead of pixel art snes-esque ones) etc
I saw that rpg maker MV uses javascript, since it's a highly more "high level" language than C++ I don't think it would be that big of a deal to learn, but in this case, is it a kind of "sandboxed" javascript where we can only access some restricted apis or do we have complete freedom over the whole game ?
I think there's a MV demo still available so you should be able to answer your questions before you buy. Some opinions:

Same menus, UI style, art etc is a symptom of an engine that comes packed with starter assets -- if the creator has no experience or vision they just fall back to defaults. There are plenty of RM games that don't look like RM games.

Mechanically though, there's definitely a "certain kind" of game the engine wants you to be making. While all the JS is exposed and there's no sandbox, there comes a point where the engine starts working against you -- even though you /could/ theoretically make top down shooters and whatever in RPGmaker, why would you, especially if you have C#/Unity available. Switching out the battle system to something new entirely requires a good working knowledge of RM itself on top of the actual programming work required. It's doable and potentially worth it if you still want to use the database, map editor, etc. (and of course can always grab some scripts for a system that someone else made if it's close enough to what you want)
Use RPGMaker if you want to take advantage of the databasing and preset RPG stuff out of the box. The VN style textboxes (that are editable) and the grid based tile mapping are also huge pluses if they pertain to the style of the game. But yeah once you step outside of any of those preferences you might as well use something else. You can make games that don't look like anything else, but you have to align it to your needs.

A lot of people who don't know how to program but just want to tell stories usually flock to this engine (which is what the userbase is built on). But if you don't feel like programming the tools needed for developing an RPG type game (databases, letter by letter dialogue, damage formulas, BASIC animation stuff) and want to program more customized stuff while getting content done, maybe there's something here for you.

Should be noted that MV doesn't quite outclass VX Ace according to a lot of people though, those go into a whole other pros and cons discussion.
It really depends on what you want to do. It's very possible to make something in an RPG Maker program that stands out, provided you put forth the effort. MV/VX Ace/XP/2003 are arguably the best ones to use for a fleshed-out, functional game though you can accomplish great things in any of them, if you know what to do.

Despite the stigma that RPG Maker in general often receives, it all comes down to creativity.
I see, thanks for the answers for instance imagine that I would like for the battle for instance to work a bit like pokemon black and white for instance ( a good example https://youtu.be/mS2CealUMeU )
where we see animated sprites representing the characters and where the character when launching a spell/attacking would have an animation
would I be able to program something like this ? or would it only support static images ?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
That is super doable and I've done assets for it. Check out Luxaren Allure.
author=Sooz
That is super doable and I've done assets for it. Check out Luxaren Allure.

I'll take a look at it

edit: I looked at your game and it's not really the kind of battle system I was talking about
I talk more about a style where the character is always animated with an idle animation and where we see from behind
I mean, that's not too difficult? You just use either battle animations or scripting combined with sprite animations. There's a few animated battler plug-ins that you could mess around with to position where you want on the screen and change the visual aspects to show the characters' back instead of side.

As others have said, there is a demo version of most of the makers available to mess around with and see what you can do.
author=Liberty
I mean, that's not too difficult? You just use either battle animations or scripting combined with sprite animations. There's a few animated battler plug-ins that you could mess around with to position where you want on the screen and change the visual aspects to show the characters' back instead of side.

As others have said, there is a demo version of most of the makers available to mess around with and see what you can do.

I'm not planning to use any premade plugins because I'd be able to program my own
I was wondering is if there was enough api access by making a plugin to do what I wanted to
So I got my answers
now, I just wonder if rpg maker only allows to use pixelated tilesets around 32x32 or if it allows hd graphics ?
Pages: 1