GOALING IT 2019

Pages: first 12 next last
Every year we promise we'll do shit. Every year we look at the shit we didn't do last year and hang our heads in shame. Or ignore that and make new goals, if you're like me. So what kinda goals do you have for the new year? What things didn't you get to do last year that bummed you out?

GOALS FOR 2019
1. Finish at least 2 games
2. Find at least one long-term part-time/full-time job
3. Keep up with the site updates a bit more often
4. Get my social media out a bit more
5. More videos on my channel
6. Get more people active on the site more often
7. Push for more responsive design choices for the site/new updates
8. Learn some coding to help with the site stuff

Things I regret:
-Not doing the articles all the way through for the Misaos last year.
-Still need to finish some games I worked on last year that I wanted to finish.
-Not learning code to help with site stuff.
-Let's not talk about RMNlympics.

Things I am pleasantly surprised with/satisfied:
-the discord has really picked up and we've got new people who are pretty cool.
-RMN lasted another year. We're officially old now guys!

RECOGNITION

Everyone has done a great job this past year working together through some pretty hectic times. We've gained a lot of great new peeps, and our oldbies are still awesome. We've had our ups and downs in 2019 and it's been amazing to see how everyone has come together to help each other out - from support and love given to those who have lost people and more. I'm always proud of how everyone puts aside their differences to give each other a hand.

The staff have been the backbone of the site, making sure that problems don't escalate and trying to keep things chill but fun. I appreciate that you guys are keeping an eye out for stuff and poke at me about things if I've forgotten. A big thanks to Unity especially for giving us her time and patience. Her kindness has always been appreciated and we'll miss her.

Same with Soli, who retired from his work as review manager. Thanks for all the hard work you've done in the past!

Also shout-out to kentona for still hanging around and being helpful despite his 'retirement'. And, as always, ankylo for always looking out for us! And, well, you crazy lot for even coming here. <3

MOTTO 2019
If you don't learn from your mistakes today, you'll be doing so tomorrow.

2018 GOAL TOPIC
1. Being first to respond to Libby posting an in 2019 thread.
2. Editing this post later to be more fulfilled.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Goals:
1) Write at least 50 reviews
2) Finish at least 2 solo games that aren't shitpost
3) Host that chain game
4) Practice art and get better. Hopefully enough to have my own art in one of those 2 games I wanna finish.
5) Be more chill
6) Lose virginity
7) Especially that last one
8) That should have been my number 1 goal actually

Things I regret:
-Everything

Recognition:
All of you fuckers <3

Motto 2019:
Get the D in something other than my grades
Was there a goaling it 2018? If there was we need to find it and link it because after all the most fun is always to see how hard we failed our goals a year later.
Frogge
author=Shinan
Was there a goaling it 2018? If there was we need to find it and link it because after all the most fun is always to see how hard we failed our goals a year later.

yes
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Thanks!

Internet, Games and Gammak Related goals.

1.The only resolution from the last year I managed to keep was leaving facebook. I left a whole bunch of other internet diversions too. This year I would like to limit my daily use of youtube. I tracked myself last month and watched some 20 videos of various length a day in average. That's usually around 3 hours of time. This year I would like to take it down to 1 hour/day.

2. Also, I spent a lot of time playing forum Mafia. That's something I would like to reduce too. Playing 1 game/month and eventually stopping is an ideal resolution here.

3. Make an interview with creators of featured game every month.
4. Write at least three reviews and play at least 10 new rm games.

GAMMAK
5. Finish Route Through Peeks. It shouldn't take more than few days, but given it's a game, which actively goes against its players, I would like to revive another of my projects first. Plus I need snow to be able to work on it.
6. Make Left Behind 2. Ok, this could be finished, but I decided to make custom graphics. That was a mistake. I might return to FF graphics with some edits and custom faces and finish it rather fast.
7. Join Frogge's chain game and deliver my part on time and reasonably polished.
8. Publish my small (birthday) games as a bundle.
9. Work on Burnt Ones and ideally publish it in late 2019. I will need to rework graphics, ui, story.
10. Make graphics for Chain of Love and eventually run it as a small (forum) event for 5-7 participants.

11. Focus on making games instead of playing them, watching them and reading about them (heh].
12. Keep a gaming diary.

Ok, that's quite a number of goals already and I got some more but that's already going beyond realistic.
Funny thing is that most of these could be finished 2 years ago. This is the last year for Chain of Love, Left Behind and Burnt Ones. I'm either finishing them or dropping them.

edit 2 uwu

2019 GOALS REDUX::..
1. Reduce time spent on Youtube
2. Travel to Estonia in summer
3. Complete Route Through Peeks, Left Behind 2 and Burnt Ones.
The one thing I felt last year that I needed to do was play more RM games. So let me start my list with:

1. Play at least 2 RM games a month (and try to review them).
2. Make a non-rpg game.
3. Make good progress on a big project.
4. Not entirely dependent on me but I'd like to finish In Search of Freedom.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

1) I have started commissioning art for my third commercial game on Steam, so my goal is to finish that project in 2019 and release that game on Steam.
2) Try to participate in some RMN events in 2019. I managed to participate in some this year, so good for me :)

Soli retired???????????
Whose doing the review quire now?
Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
1) Learn more on how to make custom/good graphics
2) Participate in some RMN events
3) Try to practice RGSS (even if I know a little about Ruby, I'm not inspired to code something useful)
author=Shinan

Yup. Right here.

Last Year's Results
1. Add finishing touches to Fire RMNblem and tag it as Completed. Shouldn't take longer than this month though, so that'll be a quick write-off.
It was a quick write-off. I might even get a Misao :3
2. Take another stab at finishing Valor Emblem? Because of physics and time, I don't think it's do-able, but I can certainly give it a valiant effort.
No dice. And now a part of me is wanting to do a short 2k3 project.
3. Get jacked! I let myself go recently due to IRL hassles, and now flights of stairs wind me. It's pathetic. Off to the gym I go.
In much better shape, but could have done better. Two flus and a back injury have interrupted my progress.
4. Adopt a more safety-conscious attitude at work. I almost fell to my death last year, and it still wrenches my gut when I re-imagine that moment.
Incidentally, I wrecked my back at work, but for fluke reasons. I was actually being careful about my vertical lift. Just made the wrong horizontal motion :(
5. Make a game involving an alpaca.
I almost did... but lost interest :D

This year's goals.
1) Start and Complete 1 game of notable Quality. Featured Game-worthy.
2) Make a Seasons and/or Owl game.
3) End the year with my back perfectly healed, pelvis properly aligned, and fortified with epic muscles. No more back injuries, ever.
4) Gas Fitter course starts in September, with registrations opening in March. Don't miss the cut.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
2. Also, I spent a lot of time playing forum Mafia. That's something I would like to reduce too. Playing 1 game/month and eventually stopping is an ideal resolution here.
Hahaha I feel you there. Especially with my woeful performances from last year smh

Gam Mak
-> Resume, and possibly finish "Gotta Clean Up The World", a game idea I came up with in, holy shit, 2012, and still one I think about every other day.
-> Play more and possibly review RM games. Gotta support the local talent, innit?

Travel
-> New York City
-> Bits of East Asia (Singapore, somewhere in Vietnam possibly, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, maybe Tokyo again).

Other
-> Hit the gym
-> Try not to let anxiety ruin this year like it almost did in 2018
Goals:
-work smarter
-actually make money
-save momey
-forget about commercial games make games for fun

things i hated about 2018:
-i worked dumb
-i made too little money
-i didnt save money

things nice about 2018 i wanna do again sometime but definitely not this year because it goes against this year's goalsd and it will prevent me from saving money and will thereofre trigger my anxiety besuse not having moiney makes you not b e able to be productive and healthy because all you think about ios how every step you take must lead to the generation of more money and your ability to sustain yourself:

-courses, i did an amazing painting course that was amazing
-vacationing, i spent 20 days in an apartment with my buddy ol' crowno and it was awesome but m'boi vacationing in são paulo as culturally enriching (thats where i was able to do the painting course) its expensive for poor ass current me

i wrote too much but basically i just want to functoin
Frogge
author=JosephSeraph
-forget about commercial games make games for fun

What happened to our dream? ;.;
i'll remember it in 2020 when i'm financially and emotionally stable and will fly across the world forcing people to participate in game jams with me to produce the perfect commercial kickstarter scam prototype

disclaimer: i love kickstarter and fully support the majority of rpg maker projects on that platform except the ones made in bad faith
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I have an urge to rephrase my goals, so there are only 4 or 5 points, instead I keep adding more goals on my personal list. I think I have at least 2 goals/month by now. That feels like I'll fail at a lot of them or like a very organized life.
Another point of view is to put them in simple categories.

Personal::..
->Move out again
->Date more
->Study hard
->Find a better paid job (so, I can move out and focus on studies and dating. It's easy)
->Reduce time spent on internet on sites such as Youtube and Mafia Universe
->Focus on painting
->Write a novella

Travel::..
->Brno's galleries (a very easy one)
->Estonia in summer
->Madrid

Gammak::..
->Finish Route Through Peeks
->Make Left Behind 2, Burnt Ones
->Join Frogge's chain game and eventually run mine

RMN::..
->Interview creators of featured game every month
->Play 10 new games and review at least 3 of them
->Keep on keeping gaming diary

One important thing to mention is that my gammak goals are at least as important as my personal goals. I would like to finish this chapter, get the slate clean and decide, where and whether I want to continue as a dev.

Edit: This might look like more, but it actually shows that my goals are reasonable. Also, important goals are in bold now. Secondary goals in italics.
I mean I have five personal goals, four of them are linked to each other.
In Gammak, I have 5 goals total. 3 of them are important for me and from the 3, 2 shouldn't be very time consuming. I remember saying this kind of thing last year before disappearing for a month in Civ V. That won't happen this year.
RMN goals are mostly about being consistently here and doing little to keep this place lively.
So, I'm pretty with the second list as it makes visible that my goals are realistic.

edit 2 uwu

2019 GOALS REDUX::..
1. Reduce time spent on Youtube
2. Travel to Estonia in summer
3. Finish Route Through Peeks, Left Behind 2 and Burnt Ones.
For now I'm just focusing on finishing Dirge. Once that's done, I'm going to try and release a demo for Psi Dogs.
Game-related:
-Do... something. I just finished my 4 year long game make adventure and I'm enjoying Not Working but I would like to... make a new game at some point, too.
-Get used to RMVX Ace
-Try to be less of a shy weenie in terms of interacting with The Community

Personal:
-Move...out..........
-Continue throwing job applications into the unloving void, maybe have one stick somewhere!!!
-Animate more

Aiming small-ish because I know who I am as a person.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty
The staff have been the backbone of the site, making sure that problems don't escalate and trying to keep things chill but fun. I appreciate that you guys are keeping an eye out for stuff and poke at me about things if I've forgotten. A big thanks to Unity especially for giving us her time and patience. Her kindness has always been appreciated and we'll miss her.

Thank you so much! :DDDDDDD <3

I'll still be around here, but at a less frequent rate. I'm not ready to give up on my dreams of continuing to make games, but I'll have to continue at a much slower pace.

I feel like I haven't completed anything in forever. The last year felt especially empty for me, game-making wise. I want to at least attempt to rectify that this year.

It's not a very big list, but I want to

-finish the 60% build of Weird and Unfortunate and release it (almost there!)
and
-get a new job-class game inspired by games like FFV to something approaching a workable prototype or demo or something

It might also be nice to do a small game. Maybe I'll actually take that five minute Damu Mashin Z game to a full (short) game if I'm able.

Here's to 2019 (hopefully) being a great year for all of us ^_^
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
author=unity
-finish the 60% build of Weird and Unfortunate and release it (almost there!)

uwu

Damu Mashin Z game would be cool as well! Or something else. Just join an event and make something simple.
I've made the same resolution for a few years now, but my biggest aim is to become more self-disciplined when it comes to game development in 2019.

I'll often go through spurts where I'm extremely motivated, working 3-5 hours a day...and then slide into eventual complacency where I leave the project alone for weeks on end. It's a surefire way not to ever complete a game. XD
Pages: first 12 next last