POST SOME OLD SHIT

Pages: first prev 123 last
...I wanted to add more stuff to this, including the really cool magazine thread we did awhile back, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Golden Axe being a popular arcade game had many ports released for home computers and consoles back in the day. Between having a Nintendo, a Gameboy and not having a Genesis yet, we had a Commodore 64, instead, that could run Windows 3.0. A friend of ours eventually loaned us a copy of Golden Axe for MS-DOS - And not having a proper sound card installed, this is what the Golden Axe theme sounded like and it's also the rendition I'm most familiar with:

It sounds like a bunch of telephones going off. But yeah, It's a shame I can't figure out how to get this particular sound version to run on webarchive.org cause their rendition of the next level, the turtle village level, sounds like a bunch of farts - Jokes aside, I eventually got really good at playing as Player 2 on the NumberPad, while my friends would play on the keyboard and with time we eventually learned how to beat the game this way, off by heart - in some ways it was easier than the genesis version, because it was a lot slower.

But yeah. Nowadays, I see a lot of youtube videos popping up making fun of ports like Mortal Kombat 2 for the gameboy. But the unwritten history of these ports is that: as a kid, we didn't care. This was a really inexpensive way to play popular games on a system you could afford back then.

Even MKII on the gameboy was kinda cool, because not only did they have very cool black and white renditions from John Tobias's MK2 comicbook, printed in the manual:

...But because the game had less moves, less stages and even less characters. It was a version of Mortal Kombat 2 we could actually beat!
I remember eventually getting MKII for the SNES from my older cousin and while it was definitely the superior version, it was ridiculously hard! So, I still secretly prefered the gameboy port for this reason alone... It just felt like a really cool footnotes version of the popular arcade.
author=AtiyaTheSeeker
There used to be this website on the early internet called Super Mario Brothers HQ, and a sub-site of it run by the webmaster's pal. That sub-site was called "Neglected Mario Characters", and featured sprite comics back when.

Dude! I remember this site! Wasn't it operated by a guy called Stanley the Bugman?
All my old pics are either long since deleted, or they've been ultra-watermarked by photobucket. :(

Which is a shame, I had some neat ones form the first RPG I ever tried to seriously make. I still love that mining town I made back in the day.
I don't have any old screenshots, but I do have memories of old Rpg Maker culture.

I remember there used to be a lot of RPG MAKER independent hosting sites for their own personal games like way back in 2003-2004?

There used to be this one guy who had like a huge series with a very specific name, and far as I know I don't think the game is currently hosted on RMN nor is it in the archives. I thought I remembered the name a few years ago, but it turned out I remembered falsely.

I remember bits and pieces of one of his games of that series, you would play the typical hero sprite (the white bandanna, blue outfit etc) and I remember his face sprite looking more older and sterner with a grin than the standard portrait used for him? His main weapon of choice was boomerangs and you started off in this big city. I remember in one room you would play a piano for shits and giggles.

The only word I remember from title was "Fantasy" but I don't remember the rest of the title.

Even I don't know if Fantasy was correct as part of that title.
author=Kaliesto
I remember there used to be a lot of RPG MAKER independent hosting sites for their own personal games like way back in 2003-2004?

Oh, yeah. Back in the day, before social media took over, it was very common to have your own personal webpage. Naturally, a lot of RMers hosted their projects on their sites.

author=Kaliesto
I remember bits and pieces of one of his games of that series, you would play the typical hero sprite (the white bandanna, blue outfit etc) and I remember his face sprite looking more older and sterner with a grin than the standard portrait used for him? His main weapon of choice was boomerangs and you started off in this big city. I remember in one room you would play a piano for shits and giggles.

The only word I remember from title was "Fantasy" but I don't remember the rest of the title.

Final Fallacy? It wasn't a huge series though. The first game was apparently released all the back in 2000, and it didn't receive a sequel until a decade later. Also, I don't think the main character used a boomerang, but it's been a LONG time since I played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLUUe4-QeI

If this isn't right, it's possible the guys in this thread might have a clue.

https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/22883/
A screenshot of one of the first tilesets I ever made dated 2009. Looks rather ugly now XD
author=dethmetal
author=Kaliesto
Oh, yeah. Back in the day, before social media took over, it was very common to have your own personal webpage. Naturally, a lot of RMers hosted their projects on their sites.

author=Kaliesto

Final Fallacy? It wasn't a huge series though. The first game was apparently released all the back in 2000, and it didn't receive a sequel until a decade later. Also, I don't think the main character used a boomerang, but it's been a LONG time since I played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLUUe4-QeI

If this isn't right, it's possible the guys in this thread might have a clue.

https://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/22883/

Not that game, but I do know that old thing.

The Bandanna Hero had a more gruff and older face.
I posted this in the RMN discord awhile back. I think Darken will get a kick out of this, I dunno. In the final fantasy anthologies strategy guide by brady games(1999). If you look very carefully on the right side of page 191 during the FF6 walkthrough. Dudes using a SNES9X emulator on a PC to grab screenshots for the official guide...lol!

I remember this part being a slog, especially if you had to travel back to the airship, there were a lot of monsters that had instant death abilities or something - So that's probably what happened; they got some dude to replay through the part and take screenshots from a PC? The Final Fantasy nerd in me couldn't believe it!

But yeah, I only had like a commodore 64 that ran windows 3.0 and Dos till 2000. So for years while looking at these screens I always wondered how they got FF6 to run on Windows.

Tau
RMN sex symbol

Some post apocalyptic game I was gonna make. Most likely inspired by The Last of Us.

I could also just post anything from Among Thieves as that was fucking years ago now strangely enough haha.
Pages: first prev 123 last