[POLL] GOING OFF AND CREATING A NEW ONLINE IDENTITY. THOUGHTS?

Poll

Have you or would you change your online identity (username) entirely? - Results

I have, and I am glad I did.
37%
I have, but I regretted it.
0%
I haven’t, and I won’t.
62%

Pages: 1
I want to change my online identity from Gredge to something completely different. This means my games, art, online presence, would all be changed to something different than Gredge.

For me, I feel I have too much linked to express myself properly, and some of my real life friends are now aware of this presence and I feel it’s too much, a bit of a mistake. I’d rather take on a whole separate identity all together and start from ground zero, with no links.

It’s a thought that has been on my mind the last couple months. I’d rather run off and change to someone completely different. Has anyone else done this? What has been your experience? Was it a mistake? Did you return to your previous alias?

I feel I’m not well known online so there’s not much to lose. Let me know what you think.

Please pardon any grammatical issues. I’m typing this from my phone on a quick break at work.
Truthfully, the internet today is so much more linked to real life than it was even five or ten years ago that it's nearly impossible now to hit the reset button. People are going to know it's you one way or another, and it doesn't take much to find out.

That said, you could just say you're re-branding to a new name that better reflects who you are now. You might be able to shake some of those uncomfortable "local friends who know my secret online life" links in the process.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Your poll needs a fourth option: "I tried and failed." Also a fifth option: "I tried and succeeded," because I'm genuinely curious about that one.
by admitting you succeeded in gaining a new identity, completely shedding the past one... does that mean you failed?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can use a new screen name without completely ditching the old one. I mean, that's the better way to do it, right? Then the two of them aren't linked. If all the same games and art are suddenly "made by ThreeChihuahuasInACongoLine" instead of "made by Gredge109" then it's not a new identity, it's just a new name. Everyone will know it's the same person.

But if you make a brand new identity, you will still have your old work on the old account, so you can't ditch it completely. You'll occasionally still need to take on your old identity to deal with stuff related to that identity's accomplishments, like responding to questions about your games.

Having several identities online is pretty normal, just to separate different parts of your life from each other. Lots of people use a different name for work stuff, or for naughty stuff, or for political arguing, or whatever else they don't want linked to their main identity where they have normal conversations with actual friends.
yeah, no one here knows about my fanfic author identity, for example.
I've changed my online identity four times and I highly recommend it
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I have, and I'm neutral about it? Like I kind of regret that I used my real name and lost any semblance of anonymity, but that was a business decision so whatevs.
Mostly I'm sad that I probably won't get chance encounters with old friends from my previous identity (assuming they're still hanging around anywhere). Otherwise, I'm not terribly interested in returning to my previous alias or changing my current one.

It's probably harder to make a complete break now that like everything is recorded everywhere and it's super easy for weirdos to internet detective you, but I don't see any reason not to change if that's how you want to go. I just recommend not using your real name. XD
I've only had alternate IDs for short amounts of time if I've wanted to be semi-anonymous somewhere for a bit. But I've generally always abandoned them. In the last ten-ish years I don't think I've changed it up at all.

In fact nowadays I try to openly link every single one of my accounts so that it should be easy to find me out there. And if someone was interested they could probably dig up just about anything I've done in the last twenty years.

But I also kinda stopped caring about the fact that anyone I know from anywhere could potentially read what I'm writing. (except for the bit where I always consider anything I say and write online to be completely public)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
author=LockeZ
You can use a new screen name without completely ditching the old one. I mean, that's the better way to do it, right? Then the two of them aren't linked. If all the same games and art are suddenly "made by ThreeChihuahuasInACongoLine" instead of "made by Gredge109" then it's not a new identity, it's just a new name. Everyone will know it's the same person.

But if you make a brand new identity, you will still have your old work on the old account, so you can't ditch it completely. You'll occasionally still need to take on your old identity to deal with stuff related to that identity's accomplishments, like responding to questions about your games.

Having several identities online is pretty normal, just to separate different parts of your life from each other. Lots of people use a different name for work stuff, or for naughty stuff, or for political arguing, or whatever else they don't want linked to their main identity where they have normal conversations with actual friends.

I'm pretty sure it's against RMN's rules to have more than 1 account.
Except that one time, when one person had 3 accounts... And wasn't punished for it.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=kory_toombs
Except that one time, when one person had 3 accounts... And wasn't punished for it.

I don't remember if I was a mod when that happened, but, I know/suspect the reference. I'm not really sure why I don't appreciate you bringing that up, but, there it is.

That aside, I guess I would fall under the "I haven’t, and I won’t" category. I dunno, I just don't see any particular reason to do it? I dunno. Maybe if I published more things online than what I do on RMN, I might consider it. However, as things stand, there just doesn't seem to be a point.

Or, I am just being resistant to change. That could be a thing.
author=kory_toombs

I mean it happens more often than you think. Usually people PM someone with "hey I used to have this other account." and then we answer "Alright, if you are now this new person we'll go ahead and quietly ban the old one."
63% of the accounts on RMN are actually me
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kory_toombs

This topic is about an entire online identity, not an RMN account.
I've gone through four identities myself. I haven't ostracized any of them though, each one came from a different online community I've gone through, and I sadly haven't been able to keep contact with people of whom I used to be friends with. All I've noticed about switching it up is that it gets harder for people you want to stay in contact to well, stay in contact.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
author=LockeZ
author=kory_toombs

This topic is about an entire online identity, not an RMN account.

The response you gave suggested that,

"But if you make a brand new identity, you will still have your old work on the old account, so you can't ditch it completely. You'll occasionally still need to take on your old identity to deal with stuff related to that identity's accomplishments, like responding to questions about your games."

Maybe I was mistaken by what that meant.

There's been some interesting posts here, and I feel bad I can't respond to all of them. But it's good stuff.

I wouldn't make another RPG Maker account, I'd probably just not use this one much. I find myself being pulled more into the digital art and visual novel community. I if I made a new identity, it'd be for that stuff.
kory_toombs

*Hides my 4 other accounts*

Yes... THAT guy...

Gredge109
There's been some interesting posts here, and I feel bad I can't respond to all of them. But it's good stuff.

I wouldn't make another RPG Maker account, I'd probably just not use this one much. I find myself being pulled more into the digital art and visual novel community. I if I made a new identity, it'd be for that stuff.

I mean, you can just ask Kentona or another mod/admin to change your name. I've done it before, and let me tell you, I probably don't deserve that kind of special request/hand out
Pages: 1