RMNMEET 2020

Pages: first 123 next last
So a bunch of years ago (four years ago) there happened an RMN Meet. And like the Olympics this is something that ought to happen again.

So like Yellow Magic said in that topic some years ago. Would anyone be interested?

Dates I'm thinking would be a weekend in August (because that's when I'm probably going to have my summer vacation). 7-9th of August, 14-16th of August or 21-23rd of August. (this topic might be a bit early, but I'm literally booked almost every weekend until August, maybe other people's calendars fill up in a similar way :)

For location. Well that's open to suggestions. I'm from Finland so my suggestion is here. Since, you know, I think it's a pretty great place and that means I wouldn't have to travel too far. But personally I can probably travel to anywhere in the EU during that time.

If it does happen in Finland and close to where I live I do have a decent boardgame selection as well as an old Wii with Guitar Hero if we don't know what else to do. There are also some very nice local ponds to swim in and I live only an hour's train ride from Helsinki, which is the capital where I guess a proper meetup would more likely happen.

But anyway, who's interested?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Yes! Definitely! Absolutely!

I'll have to check as far as August goes, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work for me.

Regarding locations, London worked out pretty well last time, and it's definitely a more prominent place that some of us are already familiar with. Plus, I think we have a number of British RMN members.
Not sure whether going there would be more tricky now than last time, though, since, uh... Britain decided to leave the band and try a solo career, so to speak.

A suggestion for a slightly more central place in Europe would be Berlin. This idea isn't as profoundly selfish on my end as it may seem, since I live nowehere near Berlin and have only been there once. I would like to visit it again, though, and it's a pretty neat city with a lot of variety. On the other hand, unless another RMN member actually lives there, it would not be as familiar as other places where at least someone would know their way around.

Amsterdam could also work, since I know we have at least a few Dutch members, and I've been there a few times. Definitely worth a visit, and might be more accessible for some people.

These are just my immediate thoughts. Either way, if I can somehow make it work, I'd love to take part in another RMN Meet, regardless of where it takes place. The last one has been way too long ago. Keep me posted, please!
Depends on who's coming for me, I guess!
Tho I think that could be a thing if it's not too far off (and I get my fiance to accompany me hehehe).
I think it's still at the end of semester, so that might make it tricky. But still possible.

Netherlands would be pretty cool for me, I'd say. Not sure where or how though *shrugs*
Berlin is a nice location as well, though like NS I live far away from it. I mean, other cities are nice too though like Mainz lol.
Finland sounds lovely as well, though I'm not sure how expensive bus/train tickets are to get there.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
AFAIK travel restrictions due to Brexit aren't gonna come into effect until next year.

I'm obviously up for this. London is preferred - and I can let up to 2 peeps stay at my place if my gf allows...

Amsterdams a good alternate destination tho. And I'd like to go to Berlin, even if its just to queue up for the Berghain for 3 hours only to get rejected.

Ps the last RMNMeet was actually this January, in Taiwan!!!
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Awesome, it's Yellow Magic! Shadows of the Past!

And Kylaila, too! Having you join would be fantastic!

I wasn't even aware there had been an RMN Meet in Taiwan, that's great! Obviously, this one is likely more tailored towards the Europeans among us, but that doesn't mean other meets can't be set up on other continents, of course.

Let's see how many reactions to the suggested locations or new suggestions we get.
OldPat
OrudoPatto, kisama!
August, uh?

I would love to join in and meet you guys!

Amsterdam sounds good, Berlin and London are also good alternatives.
Or Monaco, I miss HB!

(We could make plans for Oktoberfest 8D)

Unfortunately it's kinda difficult for me to think of any other alternatives because I'm not sure where most of you guys live. (I'm from Italy, btw, as most of you already know).

Seems Finland is too far away in a remote corner of Europe :(

But both the Netherlands and Germany could be pretty nice. I also will admit I wouldn't mind visiting some (easy to access) smaller town in whatever country, if someone has some really fun local knowledge to share for the sightseeing.

And I mean smaller towns by other countries' standards are top5 biggest cities by Finnish standards anyway.
Funnily enough I'll be in Amsterdam between the 24th to 27th of August for my birthday. Just a few days out from Shinan's availability, could scratch "RMN was here 2020" in a tree somewhere for me to find aha.

London is a few hours drive away from where I'm based. Might be flexible to visit Berlin.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Oh, how I wish I had time and money.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Amsterdam I can definitely do! Berlin too, probably, but that's a little further away. Would have to check the international trains.

I hope people don't expect me to lead them around Amsterdam though. I've only been in the city twice, haha
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I definitely could do Berlin, maybe London or Finland too. I'm kind of against Amsterdam as the tourism there is wrecking the city.

I agree with Shinan that it could be nice to visit a smaller town or city and Germany or even Bohemia (my homeland) are ideal. There are many interesting places. In my country we could take it to Olomouc, which is a real gem and way cheaper than Prague. Also, if you travel there from Vienna, you go through Brno and wine cellars of southern Moravia.
In Germany I would love to visit Ruhr-area and Aachen or Leipzig, Bauhaus cities (Weimar and Dassau), Halle and Erfurt, which are all in the same area. Flights to Cologne and Dresden from England are rather cheap too.

I would prefer 7-9th or 21-23rd.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Everyone come 2 New Zealand, boyos XD
Who wants to come to Saskatchewan in the winter?
i don't even want to go outside during the winter
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
How about making a date poll first and place poll second?

https://doodle.com/poll/pqar2h4rcgfq8ec2

I went ahead and made the first poll.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
That's a good idea, thank you, Cap! I participated in the poll.
So I got to check out my schedule and while it's not 100% sure that there'll be no exams on any fridays, it generally looks to be a good time to do things. Neato!

Also, thank you for the poll, cap : )
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
So, it looks like 14th, 15th, 16th works the best for most most people so far. It should work for:
Shinan
YM
Never Silent
Jero
Kylaila
and me.

That's quite a participation. I think we can set the date in stone.
Also, I feel like leaving more space for suggesting places.

Popular suggestions so far are:

Berlin
London
Amsterdam

Unpopular suggestions:

Finland
Mainz
Prague
Monaco
My other suggestions

author=Shinan
Seems Finland is too far away in a remote corner of Europe :(

But both the Netherlands and Germany could be pretty nice. I also will admit I wouldn't mind visiting some (easy to access) smaller town in whatever country, if someone has some really fun local knowledge to share for the sightseeing.

And I mean smaller towns by other countries' standards are top5 biggest cities by Finnish standards anyway.
Would Mainz do? It's like 20 km from Frankfurt airport.
For me it would be an ideal getaway to Aachen.
I say I'd prefer to go to a smaller place. But the main reason I, personally, am not incredibly hot on Berlin or Amsterdam is that it doesn't seem like anyone interested in the meetup is from there? I would prefer to go somewhere someone in the group knows fairly well. (and can tour us/me :))

I didn't put anything in the doodle because I realized I'm not 100% sure I have vacation yet on the 7th (despite suggesting this in the first place :D) So 14th-16th is pretty much ideal.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Mainz seems to have a nice bouldering hall.

As for the party, I think we should be able to enjoy ourselves in any city over 50k on Friday/Saturday night.

I might be able to visit my friends in Berlin in may/june to get some hot tips on hot spots.
Pages: first 123 next last