[RPGMAKER] WHAT ENGINE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?

Pages: first 12 next last
Hey there, newbie here. Big fan of RPGmaker games and thinking of diving into the game development scene. I'm just trying to decide what engine I should use to make my games. I have RPG XP already in my Steam library so I guess I could use that, but I want to get your opinions first. Is there a benefit to using one engine over another? Which one is the most functional/has the most options? Which one are you currently using?
RPG Tsukuru 2003 (our name for the "unofficial fan port" of RPG Maker 2003) has the advantage of DynRPG, a C++ plugin system that allows you to do pretty much anything if you have the C++ chops for it. There's also a lot of existing plugins for it that you can use. The downside is that anything you make with that version is technically illegal, so you shouldn't risk selling it. I recommend buying the official version regardless just for the ethics of it, but you won't be able to use DynRPG on it.

I can't speak too much on XP and VX Ace, haven't used them much. They use Ruby for any scripting you want to do beyond the basics (and you'll need it for anything data-driven, the basic scripting doesn't have variable reference capabilities like the previous versions).

MV seems to have dropped a few features compared to previous versions, but it comes with (IMO) better-looking character generation sprites. Beyond-basics scripting is done in JavaScript. In fact, the game engine itself is JavaScript, and you can override parts of it with your own plugins if you find it useful. Games can also be deployed on more than just Windows -- you can do Mac, Linux, Android/iOS, and web pages. Definitely a strong advantage if you want to sell your creations.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I've been using Ace since particularly it's release. Though, I have used XP, VX, and TsuK (ie: the unofficial and illegal translation of RPG Maker 2000).

I suppose my own recommendation of Ace is colored with so many years of using it. Within those intervening years, I've taught myself to write scripts that are, in my humble opinion, quite complex.

I can't speak to MV either, as I never jumped that ship. All I really "know" about it, is when it first came out, and the complaints about lag when using the editor. Which have probably been fixed by now, but, again, I'm not the person to talk about that engine.
There's three "series" available. Each has it's advantages, and downsides.
There is cross licensing so you can use resources (music, graphics etc) from any rpgmaker in any other rpgmaker.

tl, dr: VX Ace is a good choice. I mostly use VX Ace and MV, depending on the project.

The classic series (2000 and 2003)
2003 is generally superior to 2000.
These use 16x16 tiles (which are easy to draw).
There is no scripting built in, but the event commands in 2003 are more powerful than other RPG makers to compensate.
Example: You can have animated pictures "out of the box" with 2003's show picture command, which requires scripting in later versions.
There's the "Maniacs' Patch" for the legal version which does similar things to DynRPG.

The RGSS series (XP, VX, VX Ace)
RGSS is based on the Ruby programming language, which is user friendly and relatively easy to learn.
These use 32x32 tiles natively.
The art style changes from VX onward to character sprites fitting inside a single tile.
XP has some nicer features with mapping, such as the autotile expansion feature.
In other respects, VX Ace is the best of the series.

The HTML5 series (MV)
MV is based on web technologies, written in javascript.
On the upsides, you can package your game for different computers, mobile or web browsers.
It uses GPU for graphics, which makes things more complicated but can do fancy things in the right hands.
The engine (but not the editor) is completely open for you to mod with scripts.
But, it's javascript, which is a bit messy.
Natively uses 48x48 tiles, with a similar art style to VX Ace.
The community is a bit more commercially focused than the older engines.
It seems VX Ace is so far the most popular. My only problem with Ace (and MV for that matter which costs $80) is how expensive it is. I feel it'd make a lot more sense to just use XP since I already have it and it only costs about $25. I don't know...

BTW any thoughts on using Unity? Forgot to mention that one. Used it before for a game dev college class and it's free, so I might use that one...
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
If you have something already, use that. You'll probably be able to do beginner stuff with all of them.

From everything I've heard, Unity is extremely flexible but a giant pain in the ass even if you know what you're doing with coding. So, you kind of get what you pay for. :V
Don't use Unity for RPGmaker-style RPGs unless you like coding. You'll either spend a bunch of time getting an rpg framework set up or a bunch of cash buying someone else's rpg framework from the asset store.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Once a year, there's an RPG Maker Humble Bundle, and Steam often has VX Ace on sale for 12 dollars or less.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Just wait for a sale and buy vx (ace preferably) as XP probably is the harshest rm to use today and most users outside of a small dedicated group abandoned it. You can fiddle around with features in lite meanwhile.

MV has the most support atm, but I still struggle with it. I figured out that I dislike it when things aren't tight. It just doesn't make sense to make a 2d game, which is 2 gb instead of 5 mb of a GBA cartridge or few hundreds of megas for a CD quality soundtrack.
Ofc MV being a modern engine has many advantages to it as well. Easier portability would be one of them - unless you try to run them on Linux. I can run older engines through wine, but I have had no luck with MV and MV games so far. It's very likely doable with more tinkering, but that's too much of computer magic for a simple fella like me.

2k series are obsolete but easy to get into and make a solid something rather fast. Even today many of hyped games in production use 2k(3). They're dirt cheap too.

I would only consider unity if my aspirations were different than a fine and fun final fantasy of earthbound clone. It's a versatile tool but I think that the learning curve is steeper and it def would take you longer to create your first demo.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Actually you should probably consider playing RPG Maker games rather than making them. It's a real pain in the ass.
unity
You're magical to me.
coelocanth's breakdown is awesome, very nice and comprehensive.

As for XP versus VX Ace, either are fine engines, and I've made games with both, but there are some things to consider with each.

VX Ace allows for a lot more flexibility with its battle formula, allowing for a unique formula for each move, and there are a lot of little tricks you can do with this. (MV also allows this level of damage formula manipulation)

If you don't care about having this level of control over damage formulas, then XP is fine. I actually prefer the tall sprites of XP to the squashed chibi sprites of VX Ace and MV. Tho a lot of people dislike the RTP of XP, apparently, because its colors seem a bit off to some people.

Character comparison

Mapping comparison (I just saved some official screenshots XD)
XP

VX Ace

That said, I believe it's easy enough to use XP resources in Ace and vice-versa, except that character graphics take some finagling, as XP charas have an extra row than VX Ace ones.

Another downside of XP is that it doesn't natively support facesets. So, if you want a face graphic when characters talk or in the menu, you'll have to jump through some hoops or use a script (I used a combination of moving the location of the dialog box and the 'Show Picture' command when I used XP, but it wasn't the most elegant solution XD;;;)

The only big downside I've found with VX Ace is that the game will lag if your map is too big and/or it has too many events on it, which can make world maps tricky. However, there are scripts to fix this, tho I've had compatibility issues with other scripts with them.

I used XP for several years, working mostly on a single project. Once I joined this forum, I got Ace and have mostly stuck with it ever since. If you want Ace, like piano mentioned, it goes on sale all the time, so you'd just have to be patient until then.

If you want to use XP, then that's just fine too, and it can do a lot. And there's nothing stopping you from using XP now, making a game, and then getting Ace on sale in the future if you want to try it. :DDD
Of all the RM engines, these are probably the most widely used:

RPG Maker 2003 is still widely used, as its age allows it to run on many different computers with very little trouble. It's a great engine for low res games, and is a popular choice for game jams thanks to tiny file sizes and ease-of-use.

The downside is that, if you choose to include combat, you are stuck with the battle system included unless you make your own with the in-engine event editor, which takes a considerable amount of time and can be more easily-achieved with newer engines.

RPG Maker VX Ace is also still a popular engine, and is still one of the most popular engines in this community specifically. Like XP and VX before it, it includes a code editor that allows you to customize and change 90+% of the engine to your liking. It is also a clean, efficient engine that, like 2k3, can run on most PCs.

The downsides to Ace is that it doesnt have the export options like MV does, and the games struggle to run on anything besides Windows PCs. There are also very few people writing scripts for Ace anymore, so whatever resources are out there is basically what you're gonna get.

RPG Maker MV is the most recent RPG Maker engine, and it makes a few key changes to the engine over VX Ace. Namely, export options allow the games to be played on platforms outside of Windows, which makes MV the preferred RM engine for commercial developers. As mentioned in this thread, MV is editable with Javascript if that is something that is to your advantage.

MV does have downsides. For one, tiles and character graphics are 48x48 which is widely considered a controversial change, especially since that meant Ace graphics (32x32) could not be ported easily into MV. The engine is also very clunky and has stability issues, and the games' file sizes are generally massive compared to older engines.

It also has not received any significant updates since August 2018, so if your preference is to work with only the latest engine, it's your call if you want to dive into MV now or wait and see if there's another RPG Maker around the corner
which I've been saying for about two years now
Thank yall for the feedback. Thinking I'll start out with XP for now, I have an idea for a short simple game so XP should be just fine for that, and I'll keep an eye on Ace until it goes on sale.
Sooz
Honestly, the most important thing in gam mak is to mak gam. Once you've finished a game, THEN you can start looking into more engines. Whatever you end up using doesn't really matter as much as it seems- a decent artist can make something cool with whatever tools are around.
author=Sooz
Honestly, the most important thing in gam mak is to mak gam. Once you've finished a game, THEN you can start looking into more engines. Whatever you end up using doesn't really matter as much as it seems- a decent artist can make something cool with whatever tools are around.

I really agree...
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

For eas of use VX Ace is still the best.

Unity is easy to get started, but hard to finish. There's easy aspects to it, but if you don't know C# you're in for a world of hurt.
author=kory_toombs
For eas of use VX Ace is still the best.

Unity is easy to get started, but hard to finish. There's easy aspects to it, but if you don't know C# you're in for a world of hurt.

well... if like that style battles...
author=kory_toombs

In my game dev class, I learned a bit of C# but not a lot. I was terrible at it too.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Alditrus
author=kory_toombs
In my game dev class, I learned a bit of C# but not a lot. I was terrible at it too.

You'll get better. Unity taught me that all of the studying I did in coding was useless. It was when I asked, "How do I make this alpaca jump? I'll ask Youtube!", that I actually started to legitimately learn how to do things in C#.
You'll get better. Unity taught me that all of the studying I did in coding was useless. It was when I asked, "How do I make this alpaca jump? I'll ask Youtube!", that I actually started to legitimately learn how to do things in C#.

Yeah, I honestly don't like the way they teach coding in school. The professor goes way too fast for a beginner class and just throws everything at you all at once without explaining how or why the code works. It's very stressful.

I tried learning Python a long time ago and if I remember, it was much easier to learn than C#.
Pages: first 12 next last