[RM2K3] STAT BUFF RULES

Pages: 1
Max stats for party members is 999 (9999 for Hp) however when applying a buff that doubles a stat (Atk/Int/etc), it seems to 'break' the system temporary in a strange way that allows you to surpass these barriers (showing stats past 1000).

I'm wondering what the rules are to this.. is it just a bug? Or are your stats really raised to that point, and if so, and a variable checks the stat, will the past 1000 stat be recorded in the variable properly or will it max out at 999?

I couldn't find anything that talks about this anywhere else and I've looked at the 'numbers guide' post on here many times.
I'm surprised no one has answered this.

The stat maximum after counting equipment is 1500. I don't remember what happens if you try to exceed 1500.

If you're trying to get larger damage totals, an easy trick is to change all the elements to be larger (so instead of 100% damage, make it 400%). That way you can stay within the normally visible 999 stat barrier and still take advantage of the 99,999 monster health pools.
That's pretty interesting. Something like that should have been added to the help file for sure.

Are you positive on that number of 1500 though? I use a formula that is something like Member A Attack + Member B Attack x2/x3 (which can at times be doubled if a Attack x2 buff is already in place between one or both members) and have reached high numbers exceeding 10,000 for damage. It's not consistent and admittedly I haven't tested it like crazy but I've seen it a few times.

I can't remember if you can have two different stat doubling buffs simultaneously (Int doubled and Int doubled again through a different buff that also doubles it) so perhaps this caused it? Either way it would be nice to have a full understanding of the way the stats work. It never seems very consistent to me.
When you say "I use a formula" do you mean that is your best guess approximation for how the damage in calculated in rm2k3, or that you are writing something custom?

If you're talking the basic calculation, it is as follows, where A is attacker and B is defender:

Formula for skills:
damage = base + atkA * (atkInf / 20) + intA * (intInf / 40) - defB * (atkInf / 40) - intB * (intInf/ 80)

If the "Ignore Defense" is checked, the following formula is used:
damage = base + atkA * (atkInf / 20) + intA * (intInf / 40)

For each point of variance, damage fluctuation will be ±5% more, up to a total of ±50%.
Yes, I meant a custom formula that I use for team attacks done through the battle events. It stores the characters stats in the variable then adds them together with a modifier to decide the damage.

I really wish RM2k3 had a Magic Atk and a Magic Def stat instead of just the Int stat.

Thanks for that though, this helps a lot!
I did some testing on my side and I'm going to redact my prior comment, at least for the most part.

Instead, my current testing showed that the maximum is 999, unless there the character is afflicted with a doubling condition, in which case it is 1998. The higher 1998 value showed in the status screen. For both regular attacks and skills, the game appeared to use the value as shown in the status screen / calculated via variables.

When afflicted with a condition which doubles stats, manually adjusting stats via an event does not see a doubling of effect. That is, adding +1 attack to someone who has a double attack condition does not add +2 attack. So this could be a source of error.

The code also handles overflow on manual changes to stats (as in, going below 1 or above 999) really poorly. I couldn't figure out the exact logic, but to be safe I would recommend ensuring manual stat changes didn't exceed the normal boundaries.

Finally, I wonder if the 1500 I remember so well as a boundary is the maximum on the top end before glitches start to occur. I failed to successfully verify this in my testing, but with the number 1500 etched so strongly in my brain I can't help but believe that might be the case.

Either way, sorry for not having more exact information for you.
I just did a quick test.

I gave my Hero 999 Attack, plus one Skill for increasing Attack by 9999 (maximum amount), and another skill for giving himself an Attack Doubling condition. Using both skills, I achieved 3996 Attack power (999 x 2 x 2)
There's a quirk with skills that directly increase though. You can't gain by more than double your actual stat, so if your Hero's Attack is only 500, you can only achieve 1000 with a direct increase, followed by a doubling of the whole number for 2000.

Going the other way, you can only take a stat down to 25% of it's original value, first by directly damaging it, then applying a 1/2 Stat condition.

But holy shit : I just learned something.
In 1.08, the stat altering section swapped Defense and Intellect. If you try to change Defense, you'll change Intellect, and vice versa. Good grief. I wonder if legal 2k3 fixed this.

I'm glad I caught this. That makes skills I have planned either useless or game-breakingly useful.
author=hedge1
The code also handles overflow on manual changes to stats (as in, going below 1 or above 999) really poorly. I couldn't figure out the exact logic, but to be safe I would recommend ensuring manual stat changes didn't exceed the normal boundaries.

Manual stat chances? Like through an event that changes parameters?

What do you mean by handling it poorly? I have noticed inconsistencies at higher values but could never figure out a pattern to it. I just chalked it up to the ole 'Rm2k3 will be Rm2k3'.

author=Dyhalto
I just did a quick test.

I gave my Hero 999 Attack, plus one Skill for increasing Attack by 9999 (maximum amount), and another skill for giving himself an Attack Doubling condition. Using both skills, I achieved 3996 Attack power (999 x 2 x 2)
There's a quirk with skills that directly increase though. You can't gain by more than double your actual stat, so if your Hero's Attack is only 500, you can only achieve 1000 with a direct increase, followed by a doubling of the whole number for 2000.

Going the other way, you can only take a stat down to 25% of it's original value, first by directly damaging it, then applying a 1/2 Stat condition.

But holy shit : I just learned something.
In 1.08, the stat altering section swapped Defense and Intellect. If you try to change Defense, you'll change Intellect, and vice versa. Good grief. I wonder if legal 2k3 fixed this.

I'm glad I caught this. That makes skills I have planned either useless or game-breakingly useful.

How the heck did you increase attack by 9999?? I thought 999 was the max lol
author=Prinnyhero
Manual stat chances? Like through an event that changes parameters?

Manual as in events, yes.

author=Prinnyhero
What do you mean by handling it poorly? I have noticed inconsistencies at higher values but could never figure out a pattern to it. I just chalked it up to the ole 'Rm2k3 will be Rm2k3'.

I never figured out a pattern either, but I could get it where I decreased my attack down to 1, then raised it by 999, but it would only go to 383 or something (whatever it was prior to the negative overflow). Similar things happened when exceeding 999. I was thinking for a while it was tracking positives and negatives but only displaying results in the valid range, but testing suggested otherwise. So I'm still not sure exactly what they do. And the fact we can't easily figure it out says they implemented it fairly poorly.

author=Prinnyhero
How the heck did you increase attack by 9999?? I thought 999 was the max lol

If I follow what Dyhalto said correctly, he used an attack up spell with spell power of 9999 that effectively doubled the actual attack, and then a double attack spell on top of that.
Pages: 1