MARREND PLAYS HEROES OF MIGHT AND MAGIC 3 COMPLETE!

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The next component of the Elixir of Life, the Ring of Life, is said to lie in the valley of Dagrond. The local lords of this area have been caretakers of Green and Gold Dragons for generations, and have been loyal to AvLee so far. There is a non-zero amount of fear that some may have been tempted by the Necromancers of Dejya, and thus, make our mission more difficult.

I suppose there is, really, only one way to find out if such a fear has any foundation.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 1 Green Dragon, <Boots of Speed>, 3000 Gold
Win Condition: Acquire the Ring of Life (achieved day 4)
Marrend
It is sometimes said that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It is with this reason that I am tasked to steal the Vial of Lifeblood from the hands of a vampire by the name of Vokail. With this artifact, the Elixir of Life can be completed.

On one hand, Vokail claims that this artifact allows him to feed with less frequency. Yet, on the other hand, the benefits of having the Elixir could far exceed the terror Vokail could raise, should the Vial be stolen. Alas, the task is before me. I can only hope the elders of the Forest Guard will not come to regret this decision.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 3000 Gold, 20 Rouges, <10 Sharpshooters>
Win Condition: Acquire the Vial of Lifeblood (achieved week 2, day 1)

Vokail is one of the heroes of this game, so, I thought the Vial would be with him. This would, effectively, make the win condition of this scenario to be "Defeat Vokail". This was not the case. As far as I could tell, the hero wasn't among the enemy heroes at the offset, and it's possible he was disabled from being hired as part of a custom setup.

The Vial, as it turned out, was a reward of a Seer's Hut. Said Seer's Hut exchanged it for the Titan's Gladius and the Sentinel's Shield, both of which were behind border guards of some sort.

Regardless of how this all went down, this scenario concludes the campaign. I spend 25 in-game days, earning a score of 1175 (10th place), and the title of Vampire.
Marrend
Some wizard named Sandro approached me, asking to help him find four artifacts. I don't trust wizards, but, the reward, 500000 gold and a peice of land, wasn't something to sneeze at.

I'll keep an eye on him, but, for now, I'll search for this Skull Helmet he's asking for.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <40 Goblins>, 20 Wolf Riders, 15 Orcs
Win Condition: Aquire the Skull Helmet (achieved week 2, day 2)

This campaign details the rise of Crag Hack into the greater scheme of Erathia. This character is something of a repeating character, making his first appearance as a default/pregenerated character in Might and Magic - Secret of the Inner Sanctum. Back then, he was called "Crag the Hack", and was a Knight, as the Barbarian class did not exist. In all other instances of his appearance, he's just called "Crag Hack".

He had three other notable appearances in the main-line series. These are Might and Magic 3 - Isles of Terra, Might and Magic 7 - For Blood and Honor, and Might and Magic 10 - Legacy. In MM3, he was a default/pregenerated character, and was the Barbarian class there. In MM7, he was a quest-giver if you took the "evil" path. I can't quite recall what his exact role was in MM10. I want to say he was a quest-giver there?

I'm certainly leery of these campaigns that depict Sandro as a human, but, I'll get to that later.
Marrend
After returning the Skull Helmet, Sandro gave me thanks, and the next objective. This time, it's the Blackshard of the Dead Knight, currently in the possession of a Dread Knight named Marzeth.

That name wasn't ringing any bells, but, no matter. The artifact will soon be mine.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Upgraded Orc Tower, 5000 Gold, <Greater Gnoll's Flail>
Win Condition: Acquire the Blackshard of the Dead Knight (achieved week 2, day 1)

The hero Vokail was subbing in for "Marzeth", and, of course, had a custom background. Again, while I respect this attention to detail, it's a detail players would be highly unlikely to see. Though, maybe I'm just pissed of because a custom background means the hero data attached to Vokail and onward are pushed off balance.
Marrend
The next item on Sandro's list is the Rib Cage of Power. This artifact is held in a swampland, possibly underground. Once again, I find myself fending for a Stronghold of my own. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and the riches promised me should be worth it. If, in fact, Sandro is to be trusted.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 40 Wolf Raiders, 30 Orc Chieftains, <5 Ogres>
Win Condition: Acquire the Rib Cage of Power (achieved week 2, day 4)
Marrend
The final artifact Sandro wants me to find is the Yawning Shield of Death. While I have support this time, it is from Castles, rather than Strongholds.

You know, for a man that supposedly has a horde of gold to dispense of in search of these artifacts, one would think he might have a better support network than what I've seen so far.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Barracks, 10 Wood/Ore, <Equestrian's Gloves>
Win Condition: Acquire the Yawning Shield of Death (achieved week 2, day 5)

This scenario ends the campaign. I spend a total of 40 in-game days, earning me a score of 1475, and the title of Minotaur King. I normally note what place my score puts me in, but, I'm using a new laptop, and I didn't transfer the the high scores. I'm not 100% sure if that's even possible. However, I referenced my other end-of-campaign posts to come up with this high score table:

Armageddon's Blade1615
Dragon Slayer1610
Foolhardy Waywardness1605
Song of the Father1510
Dragon's Blood1495
Hack and Slash1475
New Beginnig1410
Playing With Fire1400
Festival of Life1305
Elixir of Life1175
Liberation1140
Long Live the King1105
Seeds of Discontent1030
Long Live the Queen965
Spoils of War900
Dungeons and Devils365

Marrend
I've spend my childhood in Bracada, studying as a wizard, but that is but half my heritage. The other half is that of a warrior, and it is that half I feel more kinship towards. While it might betray my homeland, I intend to answer an invitation to Krewold by Duke Boragus himself.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Spirit of Oppression>, Pendant of Negativity, 3 Nagas
Win Condition: Capture Groa (achieved week 3, day 1)

This campaign focuses on the rise of Yog, who, as we know of from this post in my World of Xeen LP, was chief of the Sardaj tribe.

In the context of Heroes 3, though, he's portrayed as a half-genie, starting out studying to become a Wizard in Bracada. This campaign details his separation from Bracada into the greater Krewoldian society.

Because Yog starts the campaign as a Wizard, he's using Solmyr's slot instead of his typical one, and, of course, has a custom background applied.

Marrend
Even if Bracada has ceased their pursuit after crossing the border, I am still assailed. This time, by Krewold. Perhaps they simply do not know I was invited by the Duke, or perhaps this is a test of resolve. Getting to the capital is the surest way of finding out.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Citadel, <10 Crystal>, Ogre Fort
Win Condition: Capture Ulgak (achieved day 3)

So, I think the idea here was to be scared of the garrisons, and get to Ulgak underground. However, with the power of UGE, and raising greater armies with Armageddon, the result is only needing three days to complete this map.
Marrend
The Duke confirmed that the Krewold armies sent against me was a test. For my next test, I am to take the Angelic Alliance, break it down into it's components, and spread them across the land.

I shall first take the Sandals of the Saint, and the Armor of Wonder into Tatalia. As for the other components, I will send elsewhere.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 10 Wood, <Ring of the Wayfarer>, 3500 Gold
Win Condition: Acquire the Pendant of Courage (achieved week 3, day 1)

So, funny story about this scenario's win condition. The scenario description explicitly states to bring the Sandals of the Saint and Armor of Wonder to Alendora. This was not the case at all. What ended up happening was that I brought those two artifacts to a Seer's Hut to acquire the Pendant of Courage, and that won the scenario for me. Technically speaking, the Seer's Hut in question was accessible from an underground entrance near Alendora, but, that's not exactly the same thing, is it?

As it happens, the Sandals of the Saint and Armor of Wonder are part of the Angelic Alliance. Now, the Shadow of Death campaigns I've played so far have focused on retrieving McGuffins to construct an artifact. Since we've never actually had our hands on one of these, and this campaign is asking us to tear one apart, let me talk a little bit about how they work.

The game uses the term "combination artifacts" to describe a group of artifacts that can be put together into one artifact. Though, I'm not exactly sure if you can really call it "one" artifact. Sure, they take one slot in a hero's backpack. However, when equipped, the slots of the component pieces are locked off as if they were equipped.

There is some sense of game balance in the decision to lock off slots, though. While a combination artifact has it's own benefit, it still grants the benefits of the component artifacts. For example, Angelic Alliance grants a buff across all four primary stats from the component artifacts, while also granting the effects of Prayer, and negating any morale penalties for having troops of differing alignments.
Marrend
My task takes me to Erathia, where Seers are said to be in search of the Celestial Necklace and the Lion's Shield of Courage. As to their location, the descriptions I've gotten have narrowed down the field to a small area. Possibly underground

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Badge of Courage, <3 Orges>, 8 Orc Chieftains
Win Condition: Bring the Celestial Necklace of Bliss and the Lion's Shield of Courage to Falor and Terwen (achieved week 2, day 1)

More shenanigans with Quest Guards and Keymaster's Tents. Bringing the Necklace and Shield to the Seers granted me another Pendant of Courage, but, from what I can tell, neither the one from last scenario, nor this one, will be carried over. The Pendants are supposed to be proof to Duke Boragus that the task in question has been accomplished.
Marrend
The final test of loyalty lies in Bracada. Here, I am to seek out Beleg and Orruk, and give them the Helm of Heavenly Enlightenment and the Sword of Judgement. No doubt, fending off agains the armies that Bradaca can muster against me.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Everflowing Crystal Cloak, 2 Cyclopes, <4 Rocs>
Win Condition: Bring the Helm of Heavenly Enlightenment and the Sword of Judgement to Beleg and Orruk (acheived day 7)

This was an interesting map in that there were exactly four towns on it. So, I only needed up to three extra wandering heroes to capture them, and didn't hire more to replace them, as I usually do.

This was also the last scenario in this campaign. I spent a total of 48 in-game days, granting me a score of 1290, and the title of Zealot. Perhaps, at some point, I will go back to my old posts to see where my titles are at. However, the high scores, as they stand:

Armageddon's Blade1615
Dragon Slayer1610
Foolhardy Waywardness1605
Song of the Father1510
Dragon's Blood1495
Hack and Slash1475
New Beginnig1410
Playing With Fire1400
Festival of Life1305
Birth of a Barbarain1290
Elixir of Life1175
Liberation1140
Long Live the King1105
Seeds of Discontent1030
Long Live the Queen965
Spoils of War900
Dungeons and Devils365

Marrend
Duping a few so-called "heroes" into obtaining the Armor of the Damned and the Cloak of the Undead King for me was almost too easy, but, I will not complain. With these, I can depart from my old master, and join Dejya, where I always felt I belonged. How far I will rise in those ranks will be seen, but first, I must take care of the armies set forth by my old master.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: Scroll of Lightning Bolt, 8 Walking Dead, <2 Attack>
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 2)

This campaign details the rise of Sandro. Players of Might and Magic 5 - Darkside of Xeen met Sandro as a lich in the town of Necropolis. While you do fight him in that game as a kind of boss, I would tend to argue that he's not a bad guy.

I can accept Heroes having it's own timeline. I can accept that Sandro was a Warlock during the time of Heroes 1, and moved to being a Necromancer in Heroes 2. The thing that gets me is that he's portrayed as a lich in those games, and as a human here. Despite the fact that this campaign lies somewhere between the Heroes 2 and the base campaign of Heroes 3.

I partially expected Sandro to have a custom background, and all the UGE shenanigans that came with it. He did not, which is something of a relief, but, I still won't forgive 3DO for the ret-con.
Marrend
Ethric won't give me up, even if I've given up on him. I've something of a promising apprentice that could help set him down for good. As they say, the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Such relationships are not meant to last, but, it should prove useful for now.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 3000 Gold, <2 Knowledge>, 3 Litches
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 1)

This scenario uses Daremyth's slot for a younger/alive Vidomina. Which, of course, includes a custom background. Fortunately, as you can see, this was a small map where all the enemies were tightly, and conveniently, fit into one place.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I love Heroes 3 so much. So many good memories with my two older brothers playing this game. I rarely played this game by myself, always hotseat. :)
Marrend
In my travels, I met a necromancer named Finneas Vilmar. While he might harbor ambitions to increase his holdings, he has no talent for strategy. This is where I came in, and will probably backstab him in the future for my own advancement.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <2 Defense>, 8 Vampires, 15 Wood/Ore
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 5)

Finneas is taking Thant's slot this scenario. Which, of course, means a custom background. I'm getting sick and tired of dealing with this, and working around it. However, I'll try to push through for the sake of the thread, such as it is.
Marrend
Duke Alarice is now the target our currently shared ambitions. He will soon join the ranks of the dead. Finneas may not like how I do things, but, his methods are bound to fail. Perhaps I should show him exactly how foolish he is?

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <5 Vampires>, Citadel, 10 Sulfur/Murcury/Crystal/Gems
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (acheived day 6)

This marks the end of the campaign. I spend a total of 28 in-game days, granting me a score of 1540, and the title of Wyvern.

I honestly thought this scenario would have gone longer. It probably would have, if I followed through with the Keymaster's tents, rather than Dimension Door through them!

High scores
Armageddon's Blade1615Efreet
Dragon Slayer1610Scorpicore
Foolhardy Waywardness1605Scorpicore
Rise of the Necromancer1540Wyvern
Song of the Father1510Pit Lord
Dragon's Blood1495Thunderbird
Hack and Slash1475Minotaur King
New Beginnig1410Gorgon
Playing With Fire1400Genie
Festival of Life1305Pit Fiend
Birth of a Barbarain1290Zealot
Elixir of Life1175Vampire
Liberation1140Silver Pegasus
Long Live the King1105Medusa
Seeds of Discontent1030Demon
Long Live the Queen965Evil Eye
Spoils of War900Fire Elemental
Dungeons and Devils365Wolf Rider
Marrend
How bad do things have to be for rumors of a necromancer in Erathia reaches to Krewold? I don't care for an answer, and I've been idling for longer than I thought I would be.

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <40 Goblins>, 2 Cyclopes, 4 Rocs
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved day 6)

This is a kind of split campaign between the characters we've been following. While the player is presented with a choice of four scenarios at the start of the campaign before it can progress, I'm just going with whatever is selected at default.

This scenario concerns itself with Yog, the newly-minted Barbarian from Bracada. Or, at least, that's how the campaign would lead us to believe. You and I both know he's from Xeen. XD
Marrend
What am I, some kind of professional gofer? First, it was Sandro, who totally duped me from the reward he promised. Now, it's a mayor of a town, looking at me to fetch his Statue of Legion.

Well, as long as I crush some heads, I'm game!

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: 3000 Gold, Mage Guild Level 2, <Equestrian's Gloves>
Win Condition: Return the Statue of Legion to Hartferd (achieved week 2, day 7)

Here, we move to Crag the Hack. A hero that held the Head of Legion was behind a Blue Key Guard. I couldn't Dimension Door to that hero, and I had a hell of a time finding the appropriate Keymaster's Tent. Turns out said Keymaster's Tent was near my starting town, and I just ignored it because it was behind a Quest Guard? Welp!
Marrend
How can a Vampire stay disguised long enough to rise into the position of Lord in AvLee? That this discovery was only uncovered after he was found dead via poisioning is also irksome.

Whatever kind of conspiricy is brewing behind this, I must strike out against the necromancers!

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <Pendant of Life>, 2000 Gold, 1 Green Dragon
Win Condition: Capture all enemy towns, and defeat their heroes (achieved week 2, day 2)

Here, we move to Gelu. Not to much more interesting to say about this, that I noticed.
Marrend
I had wanted to tell Lord Fayette about Sandro's trickery, but, something went horribly wrong. He had gone to the Deyjan border, only to be slain, and reanimated as a Death Knight!

Perhaps this is also Sandro's doing. Whatever the case, Lord Fayette must be stopped!

Scenario notes/asides
Starting Bonus: <30 Grand Elves>, Homestead, Scroll of Destroy Undead
Win Condition: Defeat Lord Fayette (achieved day 7)

Here, we move to Gem. Two words: Dimension Door.