HOW TO GENERATE BIGGER/UNZOOMED CHARACTER PROFILE PICTURE

Pages: 1
Hi all !

I'm new to the forum and the game creation/design in general
I have downloaded RPG Maker MV/MZ and I have one question regarding the character generator :

I have created a character using the character generator and I was wondering if it's possible to increase the resolution of his profile picture or unzoom a little bit to better see the hairs, top of the body etc...

By looking into the /img/pictures folder, I see that there are some examples of characters with a better size / resolution.

Thanks for the help !

;-)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The faces the generator makes are specifically designed to be included into the "face" area of a message box. The stuff in img/picture are not designed to be be physically inside the message box in any way. Maybe over it.

This isn't to say that's impossible to set/make graphics at higher resolutions, but, RPG Maker expects a graphic at a certain size at maximum for it to be rendered properly as a "face" graphic. Any larger, and there would be cut-offs. As an anecdotal aside, when I was making this game, I accidentally put in a face graphic that was twice the expected size, and noticed it was cut off, and generally just too big for the message box. I went back to the graphic to resize it to proper dimensions.

*Edit: If one wants to get technical, one could probably find the function in Window_Base (Probably?) that defines how facesets are handled, and edit that. Things might still look out of place, or funky, if the message box, itself (Game_Message?), is not edited to reflect the changes to how big facesets would be.
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
The face images made with the RPG Maker MV/MZ generator are meant to go with the "show text" command where you can also show a face go along with the text. These "facesets" are in a 4x2 grid and feature 8 faces each. Each face image is 144x144 pixels, while the full faceset image is 576x288 pixels. The generator generates one face image at a time. All face images generated using the character generator are cut off, and the actual assets used in the character generator found in the source files for the engine are cut off as well.

Meanwhile, the character images in the "pictures" folder are bust images meant to be used with the "show pictures" event as an alternative to faces. These images are referred to as "busts" in the community. Busts cannot be created with the character generator in either MV or MZ, so you will have to create them yourself or commission someone to make them for you. I strongly recommend against the use of busts for for your first game, stick with the faces.

If you want to "zoom out" the faces so that they aren't cut off, you will either need to draw completely original facesets using a separate program such as Aesprite, Gimp, or Clip Studio Paint or to copy the generator assets to a personal folder, edit them to have them not be cut off and have both the lighting and the base images combined, and then place the face assets manually using photoshop, gimp, or any other layer-based image editing software to create your own custom assets. I also recommend against doing this as well. Just stick with the default faces for now. They serve their purpose fine and are great for making simple OCs for your game instead of using the generic default actors, especially the MV generator. (the MZ RTP, or default assets, are really bad IMO)
Pages: 1