GOALING IT 2023

Pages: 1
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It's slightly bit late, the new lunar year, the year of the rabbit, has started a week ago, but not too late to spice it up with some properly juicy, overambitious and quickly abandoned resolutions. We all have 11 months to left to fulfill them and it clearly is easier to stop smoking in February than in January.

Last year, I think we skipped this thread. And it was a worse year for that. All of us can recall Misaos and lack of epic grandiose adventures (I guess epic and grandiose have similar meanings). Our health got worse and our kids meaner. Some of us even got addicted to anime (not me fortunately, I'm happy with smokos). So, we should renew this ancient tradition and set up some goals. They can be connected to gammak, rmn or to life in general.

I think I have many things I would like to accomplish this year. I finally managed to finish my degree earlier in January and I'm going to be 30 after all. But I also prefer to keep my lists short. 4 or 5 items are ideal. I don't think I have any gammak related goals. In my current situation, they would be naive at best. I don't have many rmn or games or media related goals tbh. I just want to stay some time without a computer, but that's not really a resolution. Here it is (important resolutions are bolded and secondary goals are in italics):

1. Travel to Vietnam for my friend's birthday party
2. Find a proper job
3. Rent a flat or a room with normal living standards
4. Finish and review Soma Union
5. Climb a route rated 7 or more

The first one is dependent on me finding the job soon enough and saving up enough money.
That's why the second goal is the most important and it directly connects to the third. After binge writing my thesis, my living conditions ain't the best. I don't have a lot of privacy, I don't have my own room and I'm moving between two cities very frequently. I don't need a well-paid job, but I need a regular income close to a single place, where I can have my stuff, sleep, cook and have some privacy.
My only gaming goal is humble for a reason.
The last one is sport related. I think this is a good year for getting better at climbing and more importantly working on my physical condition. The goal is to climb up a route a semi-decent rock climbing person can finish no sweat.

Older threads for inspiration:
Goaling It 2021
Goaling it 2020
Goaling it 2019
Thank You Cap_H, ♥ good luck with these endeavors.

Me, I mostly wanted to post in this, this year to hold myself accountable. Last year was awful. The worst. The majority of the bad stuff is now out of the way. This year doesn't look like it's gonna be shaping out any better, at least around my area:

...But I mostly wanted this thread to exist this year, cause I wanna finish 6 tech demos then try to release them the following year. If there's any reason why I couldn't finish it this year, at least peeps know what I was working on.

-1)a dumb thing
0) another dumb thing
1) Very short, not as good, not a steamed hams sequel, but it's rpgmaker2k3
2) Final Fantasy V: B@BB
3) Very short, rpgmaker2k3 tech demo based on "Cliff Hanger" Stallone

4) Sabin Blitz Tutorial w/ sidewinder.
5) Very short, thing esby asked me to do years ago. might tie into this next years misao promo, similar to steamed hams clincher.
6)Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor, Intro Tech Demo. (similar to the YS3 Wanderers of RMN I did years ago)

Please post your gammak goals this year, it helps motivate the rest of us. I'm personally looking forward to machine that breaths. I feel reading and following it's game development journey is quite admirable, especially when there's shakesup or delays, because that's where the most important lessons are learned - sharing these stories helps us become better creators - check the game out when you have the chance to. I wish there was more guys doing this sort of this work and writing about it in journals.

But yeah, good luck everyone!
Good luck to both of you I hope you make it to Vietnam this year Cap_H

and good luck on making 6 tech demos LordBlueRouge. 6 is a big task to me.

The goal of this year for me is monthly updates for Glory's Fools until the project is finished.
February, I'm hoping to have the databasing an majority of the maps handled. After that I'd like to work on getting trailers and promotional art out of the way.
I've managed to work on it everyday this year so far and I'd like to keep that energy going forward.

I'm hoping for a fall release date and after that, I think I'll work on either a tragedy or noir. Either way though I plan on getting Glory's Fools done first and foremost.
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
My resolutions for 2023, going big!

1: Finish Chronicles Meteorfall, at long last.
2: Get more hours at my job (and don't get fired)
3: Watch some anime I've been holding off on watching for far too long (Madoka Magica, Steins Gate 0, P4 The Animation, Charlette, Love is War, Death Note, To Your Eternity, Sailor Moon, Card Captors, Erased, Konosuba, DBZ Abridged, etc)
4: Begin my transformation into being my ideal self (gimme them tiddle skittles)
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Late to the party, but I got a few things in mind for this year to reach:
  • Make a gam (very important)
  • Learn Japanese
  • Earn and save about $1700 dollars(from $2700, because my boss forgot I existed)
  • Get an actual PC (laptop scrub) (Budget is around ~$900)
  • Beat the grueling circuit that is your village road.

This time I can finally do those things. If not, guess we can just say taking a step is better than standing on the same tile of the floor.
author=Vaccaria
This time I can finally do those things. If not, guess we can just say taking a step is better than standing on the same tile of the floor.

+1 my brother in christ ♥.
I'm even later, but I'll do it!

1. Finish the demo of the silly RPG I'm working on
2. Release version 1.0 of "Saffron", my graphics framework
3. Fix the roof in my grandpa's woodshop
4. Actually finish a TTRPG campaign I'm running instead of it running out of steam.

I would put "Play and finish Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom" on there, but that's going to happen whether I set it as a goal or not.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Better late than never, right?

-Finish any of my game dev projects
-Pass both my semesters with flying colors
-Become fully economically independent from my family
-Learn Japanese
-Start planning the coup on the Paraguayan Government
-Exercise more
-Read the Bible daily again
just update for the sake of updating.
this year is already flying by.
Didn't get a whole lot of stuff done.
But a lot of stuff came up? Also a lot of good news that might make some things easier down the road.
Hoping the summer will allow for a bit more free time.

All I got done was the april fools joke. and snake swearing in french in metal gear solid.

Seeing Final Fantasy Essence being remade in RM2K3 this year was really cool and kind of got me re-motivated. Also watching orochii playthrough "One Final Burial" was neat - I kind of wish people talked more about how plans changed throughout the year and how we try to adjust them to current circumstances? Sticking to a plan is important but also changing it so it'll be easier to fit into your circumstances I feel like is important too.
I dunno.

Gonna try and work on something next month, sleep is just a real problem currently.
I've got a few

- Pass probation at my new job (Database Administrator)
- Buy my first house (been saving since 2017)
- Finish Reindeer Story
- Do social media outreach for Reindeer Story (websites, streamers,etc.)
- Lose some weight
- Consider future game development ideas (and potentially team development)
Vaccaria
Alright, might as well do a half-year update.

Updated savings goal to $1700 because my boss didn't pay me for two months. Though, it's more because he got sick and then his kid got sick as well. That doesn't mean I should slack though. I ended up slacking for three weeks before I finished one of the tasks that was given to me. Really cool idea, Vacc.

Not only that, I only need two month's worth of work so I can finally have my PC! If I keep up my pace, that is. Still, my pace is good enough. It's just that I have to contend with other stuff in my life such as college and the impending doom that is 4th year. Gotta do my thesis at that point.

As for the Japanese one, I don't think it's that much feasible considering my current habits. I might have to go for a complete turnover if I really want to be fluent in it. I just don't want to read Japanese, I also want to speak it. If I do, I get the chance to possibly work in Japan in the future... after a few years of return service in my country.

And finally, getting fit. As much as I'm earning money so I can go to the gym, I still want to see how far I can go in this mini-circuit that I've routed it. It's a 2-miles worth of pain that I intend to do three time per week (instead of daily, because it nearly broke my joints) that consists of three loops. First loop is just walking. Second loop is jogging. Third is walking. Wake up at 6 AM. Rinse and repeat. Of course, my problem again is habits. It's hard to remove them.

That's also why I'm leaning away from competitive games nowadays. As much as it's fun to play with people, there's not much I can do if the only thing I'm doing is just clicking heads. I have a lot of things that I wanted to do, and I don't want future me to be disappointed in the fact that I got caught in by a tidal wave because of said friends. Hell, I made sure that I'm not that completely a drunkard considering the streak they're doing every week.

And that's all there is. Gotta keep shape, gotta keep making. Besides, I get more out of doing something than thinking that it will be me with my unrequited love.
This turned out to be a hot mess of a year.
At end of of 2022, it really felt like 2023 was gonna be..."different" from what 2022 was like?
But it just felt like a variation of what 2022 was.
Lot of unexpected things happened - kind of pushed everything to the side.
I still want get the above stuff mentioned done, but I'm working through it slowly.
Here's hoping next year will be better.
Vaccaria
author=Vaccaria
Late to the party, but I got a few things in mind for this year to reach:
  • Make a gam (very important)
  • Learn Japanese
  • Earn and save about $1700 dollars(from $2700, because my boss forgot I existed)
  • Get an actual PC (laptop scrub) (Budget is around ~$900)
  • Beat the grueling circuit that is your village road.

Update! I have beaten the grueling circuit a long time ago, though I tend to just try to loop around back and forth nowadays just to increase my stamina. I haven't necessarily made a complete loop regularly, but even then we take those wins. Considering that I always max out at 10k steps every day, I'd say whatever the hell that circuit is is just nothing compared to what I do daily anyway.

As for learning Japanese? I don't think so. Saving about a few dollars? Unlikely with how I spend these days (I blame gacha even though I know that I should just be doing my job, harhar). I can still try but that means having to compete against a thesis and a fully-loaded subject altogether. Though I realize it's just a me problem because I'm daydreaming most of the time again. Should not do that.

I guess I'm not reaching a few goals this year, but the fact that I've done something means a lot more to my confidence. That's also considering that I'm taking psych tests now and it's doing wonders for my mental health, so we take those chances. It's gonna be hard to change what one can do, but with a little grit and motivation then it's definitely possible.

author=LordBlueRouge
This turned out to be a hot mess of a year.
At end of of 2022, it really felt like 2023 was gonna be..."different" from what 2022 was like?
But it just felt like a variation of what 2022 was.
Lot of unexpected things happened - kind of pushed everything to the side.
I still want get the above stuff mentioned done, but I'm working through it slowly.
Here's hoping next year will be better.

Working slowly is better than doing nothing at all. (don't quote me on that but do make that an RMN quote)
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Man, I am not doing so hot on my goals this year. It's like, I am doing ok in some parts, but am still far off from what I thought I would be able to achieve.

Time to put the shifted past 2nd gear and get in on reaching some more of them goals!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Wow, I actually managed to accomplish my two main goals! I live in a nice flat and I have a proper job.
I failed the rest of my goals. I might try to rush and finish Soma Union tomorrow, but...I'm not sure I'll manage.
I'm actually interested to see what my goal for the next year will. They might contain some actual gammak and I might have enough money to travel somewhere.
Pages: 1