I HAVE TWO CONFLICTING PLOT IDEAS FOR THE SAME GAME CONCEPT. HELP!

Pages: first 12 next last
KrimsonKatt
Gamedev by sunlight, magical girl by moonlight
So in 2015 I released my first published RPG Maker game, Zero Gear Fighters. It was... not great. It was pretty clear it was the work of the childish 13 year old with a lot of imagination and child-like wonder but very little skill both in writing and developing. For ages I have wanted to remake the game in some capacity to make a completely new game out of it, as the original game was extremely flawed both in gameplay and especially in story.

In 2019/2020 I came up with a concept for a game called "Chronicles 2: Zero Gear Saga." I would be a direct sequel to Chronicles Meteorfall, that one game that has been in development hell since late 2019 that I'm still working on. Originally what was planned was that the games "Chronicles Meteorfall", "Chronicles 2: Zero Gear Saga", and "Chronicles 3: Ascension" would be part of a trilogy called "The Crimson Meteor Saga" which was part of the larger "Chronicles of Chronicles" world. This series plan has been set in stone for nearly half a decade now and if only one thing was changed, it would completely throw off the rest of the series lore completely.

If you aren't aware of the plot of the original Zero Gear Fighters, here is a basic summary. You are Zero, a boy/girl (you can select the gender because the only RPGs I had played at that point was Pokemon and Mario & Luigi) who has their sister kidnapped by an imp named Vixi who is such an obvious knock-off of Fawful it's not even funny. (que "I have cheese! WITH HOT SAUSE!!!(sic)" line here) Zero then races after the Imp who summons an RTP orc that Zero fights instead of the imp because I was too lazy to program in an actual boss fight. Then you go to this abandoned town for no reason and sneak into a cult evil organization full of cultists evil grunts who watch "baby shows" like Dora the Explorer and Barney the Dinosaur. (I would have definitely been a GoAnimate/Vyond kid if I was born 4 years later) You then beat them up and their leader Cynthia and rescue Cynthia's younger sister "Yusa" or something who then tells you the lore. Yada yada endless sea yada yada giant crystal yada yada wish granting gears yada yada. And this folks is the first major plot hole. The crystal of life, you know, the thing that created the world was apparently turned into 12 golden gears despite, you know, being a crystal. Also, 12 mcguffins? Everyone knows that I didn't have the dedication back then to make 12 separate dungeons/quests.

Anyways you then head to the Tower of Madness past a bizarre map featuring crude pixel art made from lava tiles and an obscure optional boss fight with Mario himself before making your way to the Tower of Madness filled with ghosts that instant-kill you when you touch them. Also here is a secret dev room where you can meet a self insert of me, fight golden slimes that give infinite EXP, and recruit the secret character "Jordan ZERO" who was one of my friends that I put into the game at his request. Once you reach the top of the tower you enter a completely different map that's just a copy and paste RTP map that you don't even get to explore. Heck, you don't even get to fight the arc villain, "Big Bronco." You instead fight a seemingly out-of-nowhere boss called "Daisa IEI" who was based on another of my middle school friends who's attacks are all inside jokes. Yes, this was real.

Fun fact, originally the characters were named "Big Mac" and "Little Mac" based on Mc Donalds but when googling Little Mac I learned what punch out was and had to scrap the idea. Little Mac as a party member would be fire tho, and there's no reason why I couldn't have done it when Mario was a optional boss and the game used stolen Nintendo music frequently. After you beat those guys and recruit not little mac you take a boat to yet another tower which is just a sample map because this is the point where I started to get very lazy. After a few hours of RTP hell you fight Zaful the minotuar, Flush the fishman, and Reep the ghost all at once, some of my brother's OCs from elementary school. Then the game gets softlocked and you can't continue without a walk through walls cheat. Yes, seriously. You then go to the final town, recruit Philip the Vampire (another of my friends who got self-inserted) and get the infinity+1 sword "Thorn." Just Thorn. You then get to lord Anal Lust's castle, beat up Vixi's new form which for some reason is hot now, and Lord Anal Lust himself. Then Zero's sister dies because plot and some random out-of-nowhere guy named Thaddeus Blinn comes in, turns Zero evil, and then the game ends.

So, that was Zero Gear Fighters, a pretty bad game all things considered. You can definitely see why I want a redo of this so much. Later, when developing the Chronicles of Chronicles series, I created as part of the plot a reimagined Zero Gear Fighters that's almost completely different, but shares some of the base ideas.

In this new version Zero is no named Sero and is a young woman working as a mercenary to pay for his sick younger sister Yua's medical bills. However, one day she gets a job offer from the king of Morda Vael himself offering 10 Billion Bx in exchange for the four elemental crystals of Morda Vael. Sero accepts, and slowly builds up her cred as a merc in order to tackle harder and harder missions and eventually collect all 4 crystals while slowly gathering new allies. Upon collecting all 4 crystals, the world slowly begins to fall into chaos and powerful monsters rise from the earth. Worse of all, Sero's hometown of Alphes is under attack from a giant monster, and when Sero rushes in to help the entire town is burnt town and everyone is dead. Sero slays the monster, the "Arbiter of Imbalance," but it is then revealed that the monster is actually Sero's sister who's lifeforce was tied to the crystals to save her life and whenever Sero took one of the crystals her condition got worse until she turned into a monster.

Sero, absolutely enraged, leaves her friends and goes on a killing spree against the government of Morda Vael, aiming to murder the king who tricked her as revenge for taking away her home and her sister. Eventually Sero's friends rejoin her, and together they slay the King of Morda Vael, who claims the he doesn't know what is going on and that he's innocent. Regardless, Sero strikes him down, and King Gasper Conan is actually her grandfather and her mother was the lost princess who eloped with a commoner, making Sero the legitimate heir. Before Sero can process this Harumi, the chairwoman of Morda Vael Sero previously fought during her massacre against Morda Vael, appears and reveals that the king actually WAS innocent. She had been running the country from the shadows for years and was actually the one who sent the initial job offer that set all of this into motion. Harumi reveals to Sero that the Morda Vael Crystals hold countless souls within them and recycle these souls in order for them to be reborn to keep the cycle of mana from going into chaos.

Harumi plans to use these souls to power an ancient weapon known as the Zero Gear, a superweapon created by the people of the lost civilization of Arcadia that can alter reality on a massive scale at the cost of eating human souls, but was sealed deep underground in fear of it's power. Morda Vael uncovered it in an expedition but kept it hidden in the castle vault so no one could use it. Now that Harumi is in control she plans to use the zero gear to resurrect her dead husband and children who died in a housefire 15 years ago while also making herself queen of the world. Sero stopped her, but then decides to selfishly use the Zero Gear herself to revive her mother, sister, and grandfather so they can all live happily together.

Mia, one of Sero's friends, stops Sero while she is in the machine by destroying the crystals, knowing that they would eventually be reformed and the planet's mana cycle would heal. Sero's body was left behind when Sero's soul entered the machine, and Harumi's lingering spirit took advantage of this by possessing Sero's body, creating Dark Sero while the real Sero helplessly watched. Sero murdered Mia and badly injured her other friends Bronze and Philip, forcing them to flee. Harumi's confused due to the merged consciousnesses of Harumi and Sero, decides to go for plan B and open the Obsidian Gate, the portal to the nether realm, ending the game on a cliff-hanger to be resolved in Chronicles 3, a reimagining of Dragon Ascension.

Pretty good plot, eh? However, in the wider multi-universal lore of the series, both the original Zero Gear Fighters and the reimaging Chronicles 2 both happened. The characters in Chronicles 2 are reincarnations/rebirths/reflections of the cast of Zero Gear Fighters, echoes of their original selves caused by something known as the "emulator effect." Dragon Ascension, the sequel to Zero Gear Fighters, also happened, but was never fully completed. If it was, in the true ending the world would have been destroyed by a being known as Omegeo, setting up the events of future universes and putting an end to that universe. That incarnation of Ryuuta would also be something called "the demiseraph," a divine hero that is the only one that could slay the ultimate evil, Elzakalas, at the End of Days. However, Omegeo with is final attack split the demiseraph into 13 pieces, the 13 main protagonists from across the Chronicles series. Splitting the pieces also made them imperfect and subject to corruption, and one of them became so corrupted that he became the basis for Elzakalas' origin, ensuring an infinite time loop.

So, since Zero Gear Fighters and Dragon Ascension canonicly happen, just in a previous version of the universe, that leaves us with all the random plot holes and unexplained oddness of those games that needed to be corrected. Right now I am currently making a "lorebook" for my series containing the entire history and lore of my entire series in incredible detail. This includes small tidbits about worlds that came before the current "Zutara Continuity." However, due to the incomplete nature of the Zero Gear Fighters/Dragon Ascension duology with all it's oddness, I wanted to remake their original games as well. Originally, I wanted to just do straight-up faithful remakes fixing the glitches and the suckiness to make the games at least somewhat playable while keeping their odd and childish nature intact. However, while writing my lorebook, I realized how much untapped potential the original, unaltered Zero Gear Fighters plot had. Most notably, where the heck is the zero gear? Yeah, the golden gears are a thing, but first of all those things make no sense and secondly they're not the Zero Gear!

So, I came up with a new plot for the original Zero Gear Fighters. Now, the game is a sort of dimension-hopping adventure, fixing the weird world design of the original game. It also allows me to add more variety, remove the RTP genericness, fix the plot and pacing issues, add in new characters, and just make the game massively improved far more than a mere "fixed" version could do. First of all, there are no more golden gears. Instead, they are "creation shards" formed from the crystal of life. "Lord Anal Lust" is now "King Aeolis" who is a tyrannical king made a deal with demons in order to gain magickal might and be able to track the crystal of life, which he desires to recreate the world in his image. However, Aeolis discovers not only that the crystal had been shattered into many pieces, but that only one shard exists in this time and place. The other shards have been sent to other, bizarre dimensions to protect them from anyone who wants to steal them. The one crystal still in their world is trapped inside Ella, a little girl and Zero's younger sister.

Zero in this is explicitly non-binary, referencing both the choice of gender in ZGF and their unclear, mysterious gender in DA. Ella at a young age was terminally ill with heart disease, but was saved by a mysterious doctor who did a heart transfusion. Apparently, this transfusion had the doctor place a shard of the crystal of life inside her, keeping her healthy. Zero does not know this, and makes a deal with Aeolias to return Zero's sister in exchange for Zero gathering the crystals. However, the crystals are scattered across dimensions, so Zero gets help from a quirky scientist called Dr Matsuda who builds a device called the "Central Omniversal 0th-Dimensional Antiverse Warp Gear" or "COOLDAWG" for short. Zero thinks the name is dumb so they rename it to the "Zero Gear," the device that can travel between dimensions. Now Zero must go on a quest through 6 different bizarre worlds in order to collect the shards of the crystal of life and save their sister. In each world Zero obtains a new ally, but in the end Aeolis reveals that he had extracted the shard from Zero's sister and now Yua is dying. Yua dies in Zero's arms and Zero swears revenge, fighting through Aeolias' castle defeating his general Vixi who transforms into her true form, a succubus witch, before facing off with Aeolias himself and defeats him and his second demonic form. However, Thaddeus Blinn ambushes Zero from behind and possesses them, becoming Dark Zero. Dark Zero then plans to open the Oblivion Gate to unleash hordes of demons upon the planet, leading to the events of Zero Gear Fighters 2.

So, that was the plot for both ideas I had for remakes of Zero Gear Fighters. Only problem? There are two of them. I would be really weird to have 3 different versions of the same game. The original 2015 version, the first remake outside of the Chronicles lore that overrides the original plot, and the second remake that IS part of the Chronicles lore that exists separate of the original game. The first remake is a lot more faithful, expanding the original game and fixing it's many continuity errors, while the second remake is a complete reimagining taking the original game's framework and making something new out of it like I did for my real first RPG Maker game The Legend of Light (which is sadly lost to time) and it's reimagining Chronicles Meteorfall. But the problem is this: what game can you possibly think of that had two different remakes/reimaginings that went in entirely different directions but were still based on the same core ideas? Nothing in the history of ever has ever done that before. And I just know that it will be insanely confusing for someone to come in and see Zero Gear Fighters, Zero Gear Fighters ReMake, and Chronicles II: Zero Gear Chronicles and get completely confused at the continuity and how those games connect. It's not very intuitive that the same game gets a remake not once, but twice but not only that the remakes are completely different. This isn't like Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem and Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon where Shadow Dragon is like an improved/complete version of book 1 of Mystery of the Emblem while featuring some new original additions, basically a second shot at a remake, these are two games releases relatively close to one another that are both completely different stories set in entirely different universe, but both based on the same plot. How the heck am I supposed to manage this whole mess? The original zero gear fighters was supposed to be forgotten, but now that I have a second idea for a remake I can't get it out of my head! And I can't combine the two plots together because the lore of the first remake contradicts the lore of the chronicles series! And if I just remove Chronicles 2 and 3 from the timeline the whole plotline with Baetylus is never resolved! Baetylus is still sealed away by Tayo and could be released at any time, and without Baetylus being dead Elzakalas can't make any more incarnations meaning no Laos, Astraphantos, Pranola, Eos, or any of the other archons! I just have no idea on how to handle this. I know this post/loredump was insanely long, but any ideas? Please? Thanks.
> But the problem is this: what game can you possibly think of that had two different remakes/reimaginings that went in entirely different directions but were still based on the same core ideas?

Not sure about games but I can think of 1 series that do this: Fate.
In short, they support parallel worlds so any spinoffs that they made is basically canon.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Look. Brevity and conciseness might not be your strongest of skills, but, to have such a wall of text is...

Let me just put it this way. Is relaying all that background and details necessary to understand/answer the question?
unity
You're magical to me.
I think you may be getting a bit too caught up with lore and plot details. You've got a fresh new start here where you can do literally anything.

Instead of worrying about all this lore and details, instead you should boil down what you find interesting and fun about all this and do that instead. No one's going to care about the lore unless you've already made a successful well-known series.

I'm planning on remaking a game I made at 14 one of these days and I'll tell you, I'm throwing out details by the truckload and only keeping the really good stuff. I'm cutting the character roster in half so I don't get bogged down on loose threads that don't contribute to the core of the story.

I think figuring out what would be a fun experience for the players matters much more than getting the exact details of which conflicting plot ideas to use. Merge, use, drop or ignore plot details completely as you like, work on making a good game, make the game you want to make, and it'll shine much more than something that has to be bogged down in previous plot details.
You can explain the differences between the games in the description.
I'd (briefly) list the pros and cons and put them side by side and decide from there. I've had many projects that split into multiple projects like some damn cell division. But it's best to return to why you actually liked the original idea in the first place and stick with whichever one is truest to that essence. Though ideally it's the easiest one to do and execute that takes precedence.

and yeah lore really doesn't matter to most. people generally do not care about world building until they've actually played and enjoyed the game and want to know more. Otherwise it's self indulgent and you can really do whatever you want. There are some exceptions. Like the SCP Foundation is just media that's lore on its own. But that's across different contributors and borne out of a natural community occurrence (the same way mythology is created).

No one is going to be able to tell you how "good" the lore is based on a wall of text and it's not the main expectation or why a game is generally good. If it's for your enjoyment then do whatever direction is most enjoyable to develop. It might be worth considering writing a novel or a tabletop game or something since those tend to be more compatible.
It's always good to have very detailed lore. The difficult part is to choose how and how much you convey to your players.
KrimsonKatt
I've decided I'm just going to make both lmao. Don't worry, the lore is spread out pretty wide. It's not all just dumped on the player all at once in a massive monologue.
Powerful executive decision:
- "Which option do we take, which is better?"
- "Yes."

...at least you got time.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=unity
I think you may be getting a bit too caught up with lore and plot details. You've got a fresh new start here where you can do literally anything.

Instead of worrying about all this lore and details, instead you should boil down what you find interesting and fun about all this and do that instead. No one's going to care about the lore unless you've already made a successful well-known series.

I'm planning on remaking a game I made at 14 one of these days and I'll tell you, I'm throwing out details by the truckload and only keeping the really good stuff. I'm cutting the character roster in half so I don't get bogged down on loose threads that don't contribute to the core of the story.

I think figuring out what would be a fun experience for the players matters much more than getting the exact details of which conflicting plot ideas to use. Merge, use, drop or ignore plot details completely as you like, work on making a good game, make the game you want to make, and it'll shine much more than something that has to be bogged down in previous plot details.
author=Darken
I'd (briefly) list the pros and cons and put them side by side and decide from there. I've had many projects that split into multiple projects like some damn cell division. But it's best to return to why you actually liked the original idea in the first place and stick with whichever one is truest to that essence. Though ideally it's the easiest one to do and execute that takes precedence.

and yeah lore really doesn't matter to most. people generally do not care about world building until they've actually played and enjoyed the game and want to know more. Otherwise it's self indulgent and you can really do whatever you want. There are some exceptions. Like the SCP Foundation is just media that's lore on its own. But that's across different contributors and borne out of a natural community occurrence (the same way mythology is created).

No one is going to be able to tell you how "good" the lore is based on a wall of text and it's not the main expectation or why a game is generally good. If it's for your enjoyment then do whatever direction is most enjoyable to develop. It might be worth considering writing a novel or a tabletop game or something since those tend to be more compatible.

In all bluntness, these.

I once went whole hog on planning out an entire series of games that would tell a story from (essentially) the dawn of time to the end of days. It was going to be a five parter with entries spanning 2k, VX, XP, 95 and 2k3 in that order. At one point, the one world I had would become two. I spent years brainstorming, logging and starting remakes of projects in order to have them flow when it was all said and done. I also figured I'd plateaued developmentally so I willfully held the first installment back in order to have a continuously improving series. I'm pretty sure I was finally bogged down so much by the minutia in 2012 that I just stopped.

I decided to go back to the drawing board with my original game, shredded what ungainly mess I had and pieced it back together without the need for multiple worlds. I squeezed in historical fragments wherever I could through the natural flow of the game, but hadn't yet decided what to do with the rest of the series. I had an epiphany concerning the future (that 1. this would take the rest of my life to make, and 2. nobody would want to play them) and came to the conclusion that scrapping the sequence would be best, and instead opting to throw in an optional book with repeatable miniquests disguised as chapters that highlighted "the best of the rest".

Nobody cared anyway. The book just became a dusty tome on the shelf and all the years I'd spent crafting this world has resulted in a pretty even split between people who like it and people who don't.

You want this? Do it. I'm not going to promise you the moon and say it'll shine, but you write the story you want written and to hell with the consequences.
KrimsonKatt
I do want this. This story is my life's work. If it takes the rest of my life to finish this story to it's conclusion, so be it. If no one cares, it doesn't matter. It's what I want to do with my life. Tons of famous artists were never appreciated when they were alive. Picasso, Van Gogh, Henry Darner, etc. I just want to put something out there that can be remembered for all time, even if no one cares about it while I'm still here.
unity
You're magical to me.
Do whatever you want, and more power to you. I'll always be all-in for people making the games they wanna make. However, I have noticed a pattern where you ask for advice, ignore all advice and just do what you want. Forum threads where literally, as far as you're concerned, we might as well just blot out everyone else's posts because you aren't gonna take in any of the comments :P

It all makes it hard to take you seriously. This doesn't help either:

author=KrimsonKatt
I do want this. This story is my life's work. If it takes the rest of my life to finish this story to it's conclusion, so be it. If no one cares, it doesn't matter. It's what I want to do with my life. Tons of famous artists were never appreciated when they were alive. Picasso, Van Gogh, Henry Darner, etc. I just want to put something out there that can be remembered for all time, even if no one cares about it while I'm still here.

If this a joke, then that's one thing. If you really believe this, you may want to pause for some self-reflection.
KrimsonKatt
I do take people's advice to heart. Their advice really does help. Usually I have some sort of question, I post it here, but the next day I come up with some new solution. Personally, these pieces of advice really spoke to me when I made my decision to make both remakes at once:
author=Lascivaware
You can explain the differences between the games in the description.

author=aquatorrent
Not sure about games but I can think of 1 series that do this: Fate. In short, they support parallel worlds so any spinoffs that they made is basically canon.

Why can't I make both remakes at once? It's my own series and nothing is stopping me from doing so. It will be like fate, parallel worlds that can coexist at the same time and make the differences known in the description. That's really all there is to it.

And about the "this series is my life's work" thing, yes, yes it is. I'm not saying I'll be super famous in the future or something, though that is a possibility with how ambitious some of my later games (as in, games that haven't been made but are in the idea phase) get in terms of scope. I don't really care if I'll be famous in the future after I'm long gone. All I care about is getting my work out there and my stories actually manifested, regardless if people care or not. There has been no other continuity in my imagination that has been as detailed or as complex as the Chronicles of Chronicles series.

Zero Gear Fighters + Dragon Ascension was actually the FIFTH continuity I had developed, there were 4 other continuities before it and only the fourth one got a game which I never released and was lost to time, which was actually the basis for the story of Chronicles Meteorfall. Heck, the sixth continuity in-between Dragon Ascension and the current CoC series was never even publicly released, Draco Anima Origins/Stardust Saga, now known as Lost Anima. Also the third continuity will get an actual game being called Spirit Roamer. The first and second continuities are best left forgotten, though aspects of them will be used in the Chronicles of Heroes sub-series.

I will not abandon this series. It is my life's work and passion. I will not change my mind and peruse some other new continuity. Everything is connected in this new world I've built and everything will continue to be until the series is finished with THE END OF CHRONICLES. I'm not insane or delusional, I'm simply a girl with ambition. It's just that games take forever to make and Chronicles Meteorfall has been in development hell for way longer than I hoped. (It should have finished by September 2020) I don't care about fame, or money, or anything like that. Just the ambition to get my chronicles told to the very end.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
KrimsomKatt
Usually I have some sort of question, I post it here, but the next day I come up with some new solution.

This is kinda part of the problem that unity is observing, though. If you actually took time to think things over, you might not even have "needed" to post this topic in the first place. You'd come up with a solution yourself, if you bothered to give yourself the time to do so. Yet, either because of some kind of compulsion, or whatever, I dunno, you still felt it necessary to drop in, full-on stream of consciousness, giving this breakdown/backstory concerning the development of two games. The presentation of that stream-of-consciousness being a huge ass wall of text doesn't help either. Who would want to read all of that?

*Edit: This post might be something of a moot point now, but, next time, try aiming for better readability. Or, at least some brevity. Some background is fine, but, we don't need to know every single little damn thing about a game's development history. Leave that info for a blog.
if you want notoriety after death you're better off eating the mona lisa or something
KrimsonKatt
author=Darken
if you want notoriety after death you're better off eating the mona lisa or something

Yeah right the guys who threw soup at it got nothing. No one has or will remember their names. All they got was 50 hours of community service for their vandalism. Even mass murderers aren't remembered anymore since active attempts are now made to hide their identity and not make them famous which could encourage and motivate future killers.
this only further bolsters the idea of eating the mona lisa
author=KrimsonKatt

I want to help you; my coffee tastes like eyeliner again.

If you're making a magnum opus, learn everything you need to make a good game because you have time, but start with the basics.

https://www.grammarly.com/writing
KrimsonKatt
I'm still in the process of learning and every game I make progressively gets better and better than the one before. I learn from every project that fails, and overall Chronicles: The Lost Page was a pretty good success on my part. Noel and the Tower of Doom will likely been even better, and Chronicles Meteorfall even more so. Each game getting better and better until I reach Chronicles: The Last Dragon's Elegy, my first commercial game.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You're not going to get stuck on the treadmill, are you?

You've said you have the rest of your life to work on this, but realistically, how long is RPG Maker VX/M/Z/NOP+ going to be relevant? Even if you stuck to your guns and kept the series going, getting stuck in "development hell" will only ensure that it won't just be the rest of your life that gets spent on it, but the coming generations' lives, too.

Another thing that was brought up was "ambition" and "scale". When you're in this position, the only feasible move is to scale back, not up.

https://www.derekyu.com/makegames/deathloops.html
Pages: first 12 next last