HOLA!

Pages: 1
A couple weeks ago I read a tweet saying something like "RPG Maker 2003 is on sale on Steam!" and man, that triggered some good memories from my teen years. I was curious about it, since I toyed with an RPG Maker more than 20 years ago, when I didn't know almost anything about coding or game design. At that time I just liked fantasy and CRPGs, so I was blown away by it! I remember painting some maps, creating some characters and doing other very simple stuff. I also remember playing other people's games. Those were great! But as most things at that age, I didn't do much with it and quickly moved to other hobbies.

Well... time passed and I'm actually a professional game designer now. And, while I'm not a programmer, I understand so much more than when I was young. And my English improved a lot. So I've got the idea of revisiting RPG Maker and see what I can actually do with it now that I've "leveled up".

So far, I've been toying with any systems that catch my attention and I have to admit I'm having a lot of fun. I'm not doing anything mind-blowing, but for me is just cool to ask myself something like "I wonder how could I make secret doors in this system?" or "could I implement D&D's stats and dice rolls into this?" and just try to solve that problem. I'm having such a good time I'm considering purchasing the latest versions, even if they are expensive. They look cool and, for what I understand, the community created a lot of amazing plugins for them. That's very appealing if I ever decide to create a real game with the engine. But I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, I'm just having fun learning about these tools and their possibilities.

Thanks for reading and congrats on still having a forum around!
That's actually a great way to learn a game engine, because it gives you something tangible to try and learn, and you'll retain much more by applying it in a way you understand, rather than simply following tutorials step by step. Mark Brown talks about that in his channel GMTK on YouTube, where he talks about how he learned Unity.

And honestly, if you keep with that pattern, you may find a unique blend of mechanics that work out to be a great project. That's what happened with the game I'm working on now. It started with just an idea, "I wonder if I could make a random rarity based loot system in RMVX," and that snowballed into something way bigger than I could have imagined when I first started. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing some of your creativity!
If you want to have fun trying new things in RPG Maker 2003, the event Boulevard of Broken 2k3 Dreams is perfect for you! The event even has goals as simple as "Project1 - play around in the engine with the default assets to figure out how the engine works".
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Thanks for sharing your story with us and welcome back to using RPG Maker! Hopefully you can create some fun little mechanics and show us the results of your creativity!
Pages: 1