[RM2K3] MANIACS HELP

Pages: 1
Recently I had downloaded the maniacs patch for rm2k3 and it is....really nice. Like whoah. New functions and sick things. Though I have questions about it. Because I have no idea what some of the features can DO or achieve.

Like if I wanted messages for attack buffs and that, would I have to make a common event that references that, then having eventing in battles?

are there more saves now? how would that work? looks like there is a 'global save' function now. whatever that means. I kinda remember posting something on having more saves in rm2k3 months ago.

Not clueless though. Very curious. May update this Q&A later.

I'll be pleased to answer questions but these are a bit open ended. I recommend reading these blog posts on maniacs. They do a great job explaining the new stuff, better than I could with an open-ended question.

There are several other blog posts too, but you'll have to translate. Machine translation in 2023 is pretty good though.
What about doing a message for a battle pop up like when ATK, DEF, goes down, or even when an elemental resistance would go down? RM2k3 didn't really do that. I dunno if maniacs can do that, though I only know of the dynplugin that can do that.
It can, through the "Control Battle" command. That retrieves certain battle information during that specific frame when the flag you're looking for happened. It's covered in the 3rd blog post on Maniacs-specific commands iirc.

edit: to be clear, that command just gives you information in the form of 6 variables. how you're gonna turn those 6 variables into a display is up to you, your imagination is the limit.
Does anyone know if Maniacs and EasyRPG jive yet? Because I'd hate to convert to maniacs (because it does look very interesting and has features I could probably use to elevate HR remaster, but I don't want to shut out people who were hoping to play this on Macs or Androids :(
kentona
Does anyone know if Maniacs and EasyRPG jive yet? Because I'd hate to convert to maniacs (because it does look very interesting and has features I could probably use to elevate HR remaster, but I don't want to shut out people who were hoping to play this on Macs or Androids :(

The EasyRPG blog cites compatibility with Maniacs commands having been implemented with two major limitations: It's only up to the version where BingShan rewrote the engine (I don't remember which version was that, or if that's exactly what happened technically) and Battle-related commands are out of the picture as rm2k3's battle system is much too delicate and adding in new commands would add unbelievable development costs.

With that being said, you can check out whether the actual commands you want to use are officially supported, and just a single command can make an entire difference in your workflow or shorten hundreds or thousands of lines of code. Just the ability to use variable pointers for instance, or the much improved loop command. My favorite command obviously is Show String Picture which is also supported.
I would not know that. Though Maniacs, can have ALL the pictures. I mean really. It can have literally 99999 pictures, so I guess, in theory, if one wanted to make a meter that would show who's turn it is in battle, could do that. Battle cool downs, even more. :/
I'm just trying to get Rm2k3 to do more technical things that it (missed) by Enterbrain, Ascii, Kadokawa because if a gaming company wanted to make rpg maker, why would it take a bunch of technical things out of the program? This is confusing as heck. Probably money.
It's not complicated as to why rm2k3 is missing out on features. rm2k3 is literally just built to make final fantasy 4/5 (if barely that) and nothing else. They made a hammer that slams down nails, that's it. Even with DynRPG or Maniacs you really shouldn't go against the grain too much. Maniacs is really nice if you want to save time or just have that one area of inconvenience dealt with. But you're still hammering nails.

author=kentona

easyRPG cannot do battles when paired with Maniacs yet and it looks like the way battles are coded in rm2k3 is a reverse engineering minefield. So it'll probably be awhile. Having said that... I don't know if Linux/Mac users are entirely worth it (though porting to just about anything might be). It's like potentially 1% of your playerbase. EasyRPG is really nice though, mostly due to the rendering and Direct2D wrapper getting rid the screen tearing that even the official Steam release still has. It's a choice of future proofing (sticking with easyRPG only) or future proofing later (Maniacs but then eventually easyRPG figures battles out).
Well for starters, I want to make a game display a message or something for when a stat goes down and up, and for when elemental resistances go down and up. Would I have to common event first, then make a message appear in battle with variables? Not sure how to make that work...
With maniacs you use Control Battle in a begin battle common event. Inside control battle you set processing to MP/ATK/DEF/MND/AGI Changed you set the common event to what triggers when that happens. Still in Control Battle you then set a series of variables (top one determines where the series of variables start) then inside the selected common event use a conditional branch to check if the stat has changed from the default, probably with a different processing event and a different series of variables using another control battle. Whatever is listed under Value is probably the stat that has been changed. So you display that and whatever other information.

Probably. I say that since I haven't tested it myself but that's where I would start. It's probably easier to just detect what skill (Targeting for processing) is being used and on who anyway if it's just a simple "agi down"
Seems kinda confusing

I have in a common event, in a parallel battle event,

@>Control Battle: MP/ATK/DEF/MND/AGI, Changed, None
@>Conditional Branch: V > 0
@>Text: \v starts to fall by \v!
@>
: Branch End
@>

Variable 6 is the unit type, and then Variable 11 is the value.

Though, it shall show a bigger message, so I can easily fix that with a show picture command, or a string box!

I see nothing for elemental resistances though. 0_____________________________0

Something kind of like that? I dunno. :/

I guess, for elemental resistances going down, at least for enemies, the skill could activate a switch that would show a message or a picture saying Fire defense goes down or whatever. Though there's no switch possibility for when a skill is used or cast. Damnit. >:(
Again you'll need to use Targetting, it explains it here: https://www.rmteka.pl/maniacs-patch-wont-bite-you-3-new-features/

Targeting – triggered when some object is taken as a target. I won’t elaborate on what all the Action Indexes mean since there are way too many of them.

User Type and User Index refer the action performer and likewise Target Type and Target refer to the action’s receiver. Action Type determines the type of action, 0 for basic actions and 1 for skills. Action Index determines the Skill Index for Action Type 1, and for basic actions this is what I’ve been able to figure out:

Though I don't think you need to do it in parallel, just in begin battle since it triggers common event when its processing is triggered anyway.
So for that I would have to set the user to a variable, and then the action to a variable, and make it activate on 1 for skill use. I think?
I'm a visual learner. :P Time to read more. And so far, a successful pup artist!
author=kentona

I know what the blog above says, but there's been a strong push from contributors to EasyRPG to support maniacs. Right now, EasyRPG is compatible with many maniacs features, and they are actively developing more. I've worked on supporting maniacs' String variables a bit, which last I checked still has some unresolved issues (mainly around using regular expressions to search strings) but support for that should be available relatively soon. I believe the goal is to eventually support all maniacs-specific features wholesale but I could be wrong about that.
Well bust my buttons! That is a shame!!
I'm sure someone will be able to figure out something soon with that.
I'm trying to crank out decent games for fun, but I'm being thrown around by technical mishaps and whatnot.
Pages: 1