ADVICE ON ABS PLUGINS FOR A COMPLETE NEWB

Pages: 1
Hey there,
I was thinking about trying to create a game and had a pretty good idea how it should look like but was completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of plugins etc that are necessary to make it a reality, so I dont even know where to start.
What I want is the following:
1) An Action Battle System (ABS) (I dont want to use the base RPG Maker battle system at all)
2) Grid based movement
3) Turn based: The player gets a turn during which he can move / attack, and then the enemies get one turn. The enemies will do nothing while the player hasnt made his move yet.
Ill spare you the details, so now my question:
What version of RPG Maker and what plugins should I start with?
I have yet to buy any RPG Maker and thus have complete freedom of choice when it comes to which version andsoon; What has me worried though is when I see people commenting under ABS plugins (like JABS for example) that it causes syntax errors and simply doesnt work. I dont want to spend 30-80 bucks on a RPG maker engine just to find out it dont work that way...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I almost want to suggest using GTBS (Gudib's Tactical Battle System) for Ace, as it would include grid-based movement, and, if I recall, you can set it up so that there's a "player phase" then an "enemy phase". It has been a while since I've messed with it, though.

I wouldn't necessarily call that an action-based system, though, as the player is choosing a list of actions in a menu. I'd actually largely assume anything that grants grid-based movement in combat is going to be more inclined to a tactical, menu-driven action selection system, and likely to be inspired by Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and it's ilk.
Im not 100% sure if ABS is the perfect description for what Im trying to do.
Ive read that battle systems on the map, outside the base battle system, are generally called ABS, so thats why I asked for that.
From your description, it may just fit quite well actually.

Still, Ill be waiting for more suggestions / opinions on this.
Thanks for your reply^^
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Well, an action battle system, at least in my head, is one where you press a button on the controller/keyboard to perform an action. Examples of this would be Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, and Dynasty Warriors. There wouldn't be a menu to select targets from, but, there might be a menu to assign actions to buttons.

My memory might be a little fuzzy on this point, but, I think Persona 5 might have buttons that can initiate actions by themselves, or call up a menu to select an ability. However, unlike the above examples, it's a turn-based game.
Pages: 1