SUIKODEN ON SALE FOR $5.99

Pages: first 12 next last
Last time I checked, retail disks for the original Suikdoen cost several hundred dollars. When I heard that it was available on the Playstation Store for $5.99, I thought it would be news worth sharing.

If you haven't played Suikoden, it is a classic RPG that was released on the Playstation early into its life-cycle. It may have been the first meaty RPG available on the console. It was a bit of a throwback when it came out, because it eschewed new 3D technology in favor of using the extra horsepower to output high-resolution 2D art. The result is a game that has aged decidedly better than, say, the battle scenes in Wild Arms. It's pretty good,and a fan-favorite as well as a coveted collector's item.

Thoughts? I anyone getting or have this? I tried to find it on the store today (it's only $6!), but couldn't.

Screens:

Also, the NA box art is considered by some to be a masterpiece. It's no Mega Man, but it's not too shabby either:

Happy
Devil's in the details
Kinda weird they would re-release / sell it at all for that cheap.

Well anyway, I've been collecting old PSX rpgs for quite a while and for long searching Suikoden, too. Tho after 5 years of searching or so, I found somebody selling it earlier this year and bought it for 50-70 euros or something, which is almost $100 USD.

I've got most of european PSX RPGs now, which some of them are worth quite a bit.

I've been playing Suikoden lately too. It's not all that bad.
Also: Does anyone else download games for their PSP? I really love it. Donwloadable handheld games are super cheap, and like . . . I don't know it just seems appropriate that I should be able to download them. Also the UMD format is awful and noisy and there are many other things wrong with it, and downloading games insulates me from those issues. I have heard rumors that since PSP is not doing so hot at retail that they will start offering all games as downloadable titles. Usually 500,000+ PSPs sell every month (it almost always does better than the 360 for example) but software does not sell.

Please note I am not talking about piracy but rather the Playstation Store.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=brandonabley link=topic=2770.msg52316#msg52316 date=1230138150
Usually 500,000+ PSPs sell every month (it almost always does better than the 360 for example)
Actually, the PSP very rarely tops 300,000 per month. And the 360 has out sold it for the past three months. It actually had double the sales the PSP did last month (800k compared to 400k).
author=WIP link=topic=2770.msg52320#msg52320 date=1230138989
Actually, the PSP very rarely tops 300,000 per month. And the 360 has out sold it for the past three months. It actually had double the sales the PSP did last month (800k compared to 400k).

Recent price drop! Look at historical figures man. I said usually not last month etc.

EDIT: Well I looked it up!

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2362

In the third quarter of 2008, PSP outsold 360 significantly. Overall worldwide sales in 2008 show PSP outselling 260 2-1. In the past this margin was even greater.

I mean like who really cares about this stuff but you told me I was wrong.

My thing is that PSP games never sell that well - when is the last time you saw one in the top 20? Crisis Core? God of War? But at the same time it has more hardware out than the 360, which hits top 20 titles and often #1 sellers all the time.

Downloadable games for $6 might encourage people to buy more stuff. After all, CT DS is $40, which is a comparable product to Suikoden for $6.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
1) Do not use vgchartz, as their sources are dubious. The guy who owns it was banned from GAF for making shit up.

2) As we are both in the US, I figured we were only talking about the PSP vs. 360 in the US. The PSP rarely sells 300k units a month in the US. The 360 sells more than the PSP in the US. Even the questionable data vgchartz has shows this.

So yeah, you are still wrong...
God man who even cares that isn't relevant to the discussion. The entire point is that downloadable titles might help sell games for PSP because it is selling hardware and not software.
WIP
Hey you were the one who came back with the retort so I had to retort myself. And if it wasn't relevant then don't bring it up and get mad at me for correcting you.

As for downloadable titles, when you purchase Suikoden and other PS1 games from the PSN, do you have to specify you want it for your PS3 or PSP?

If there is no distinguishable markers for it, then it's a moot point. You can never guarantee that a person would use their PSP to play Suikoden.

As for the PSP, there is really nothing really coming out for it now. I think Dissidia is basically it. It's on a long and slow deathmarch.

I blame it on Sony's terrible marketing of it. I would also say it has a few hardware issues but nothing incomparable to the DS's faults.
author=WIP link=topic=2770.msg52341#msg52341 date=1230143250
As for downloadable titles, when you purchase Suikoden and other PS1 games from the PSN, do you have to specify you want it for your PS3 or PSP?

If there is no distinguishable markers for it, then it's a moot point. You can never guarantee that a person would use their PSP to play Suikoden.

You can play on PS3 or PSP. You can go back and forth in-between the two, if you want. It's a pretty elegant system and there is big potential for synergy between the two products but so far nothing has capitalized on it.

And it is not a moot point. Firmware 5.0 will feature Playstation Store browsing through the PSP itself, which is a long-overdue feature and is basically the same as buying a PSP-specific game (that you can backup or move to your PS3 whatever).

Also I just looked this up and in Japan all first-party games are available online day-and-date as they are retail. It's pretty cool to think that we might enjoy that same luxury.

author=WIP link=topic=2770.msg52341#msg52341 date=1230143250
As for the PSP, there is really nothing really coming out for it now. I think Dissidia is basically it. It's on a long and slow deathmarch.

I blame it on Sony's terrible marketing of it. I would also say it has a few hardware issues but nothing incomparable to the DS's faults.

There's stuff. Patapon 2 and Kingdom Hearts other games that people will think are worth playing. But yeah not that much. It is a great handheld and it would be nice to see it realize its potential.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Dissidia is enough for me.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I have never played Suikoden! I would consider purchasing this if my brother's PS3 was in working order. I have no other way of accessing the playstation store.
author=Max McGee link=topic=2770.msg52359#msg52359 date=1230146166
I have never played Suikoden! I would consider purchasing this if my brother's PS3 was in working order. I have no other way of accessing the playstation store.

You can access it through the PSP too. I would rather play it on PSP personally. But you probably don't have one of them either!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
brandon and WIP, take it to your cellphonesPM.
WIP
brandon, I say it's a moot point because you can never guarantee someone bought the game only for the PSP. You will have fuzzy logic determing what sales numbers per system are.

And the PSP is mostly awesome hardware. It's too bad the "analog nub" is absolute garbage.
So I just bought this and I laughed when I noticed they are using the Japanese box art.

. . . too bad :(

By the way guys this is an awesome game and if you have a PSP or PS3 you should get it. It is so cheap!
author=brandonabley link=topic=2770.msg52316#msg52316 date=1230138150
Also: Does anyone else download games for their PSP? I really love it. Donwloadable handheld games are super cheap, and like . . . I don't know it just seems appropriate that I should be able to download them. Also the UMD format is awful and noisy and there are many other things wrong with it, and downloading games insulates me from those issues. I have heard rumors that since PSP is not doing so hot at retail that they will start offering all games as downloadable titles. Usually 500,000+ PSPs sell every month (it almost always does better than the 360 for example) but software does not sell.

Please note I am not talking about piracy but rather the Playstation Store.

Yeah i've done the same. I bought the original crash bandicoot off there for $7 and it's great.

Anyway, i might get this seeing how cheap it is.
WIP
Maybe someday I will get a PS3.
I'll get a PS3 when a big price drop happens, which I'm sure Sony will have to do that soon. Everybody is kicking the crap out of it.
I already own both Suikodens for PlayStation (actually, as a Suikoden nerd, I own ALL of them), but it's cool that they're doing this.

And to those who are unfamiliar, brandon was being facetious about the American box art. It's really bad.
I love Suikoden so much. <3 Own all the ones I can get (not the Gaidens or card game, but the rest) and even paid $200 AU for Suikoden II (which is my favourite PSX title and in my top 5 fave games ever).

It really is a great series and unlike FF or DQ the sequels/prequels are all set in the same world at different times, so you really get to know the world and people living in it - especially with recurring characters.

Not to mention really good story lines that are pretty political and awesome music.

Yeah, I'm a Suiko-fangirl.
Pages: first 12 next last