2K3 ATTRIBUTE SETTINGS - BALANCING ATTACK, DEFENSE, MAGIC, AND SPEED

Pages: first 12 next last
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I have a few questions, so BULLETED LIST IS GO!

• My buffs all raise by one. How do I set elemental resistance so that 1 ATK increase damage output just like 1 MAG, or better yet vice-versa?
  • How do I balance ATK and MGC with SPD to make sure that SPD doesn't become too broken compared to the other stats?
  • Basically, how do I make 1 ATK ~= 1 DEF ~= 1 MGC ~= 1 SPD

Also, if it helps, average HP is 60 at lv 01 and ~750 at lv 99. Damage at lv one should be about 1/5th of one's max HP, damage at lv 99 should be 1/2-1/3.

HELP.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
60/5=12; need 24 atk at level one
750/2.5=300; need 600 atk at level 99

This is not taking DEF into account because I don't know how you want it to factor in with the basic formula.

To make MGC do the same damage as ATK, have all your MGC-using skills have elements that are 2x stronger than physical skills. Since skills cost MP, I presonally reccommend making them even a little stronger so that 1MGC is stronger than 1ATK.

I AM ASSUMING THAT YOU SET ALL ELEMENT RESISTANCES TO BE B BY DEFAULT

PHYSICAL ELEMENT
A-150%
B-100%
C-50%
D-0%
E-100% absorbed

MAGICAL ELEMENT
A-360%
B-240%
C-120%
D-0%
E-240% absorbed

Make sure that magical skills have a base damage that makes sense; it will be multiplied as well as your MGC stat.

As for 1DEF = 1ATK, that's impossible using the default algorithm; having an enemy attack a target when the enemy's ATK is equal to the target's DEF will result in the damage being cut in half. If you want to make DEF (normally -1dmg per every 4DEF) more effective, double EVERY PERCENTAGE ABOVE. That will make each point of ATK mean +1 dmg and every two points of DEF mean -2dmg. MGC will be +1.4dmg/point.
Craze
(I'm aware that this is double post but I want this to be seperate)

SPEED in rm2k3 is tricky. I suggest having it be static the ENTIRE GAME outside of equipment; maybe try 30 SPD as a baseline for everybody. If you want a slow character, subtract 3-5 points (and the opposite for fast characters). For monsters (PAY ATTENTION, NOW) base their average SPD at 10 SPD. Fast monsters have a SPD of 15, slow monsters have a SPD of 7.

Equipment that speeds up a character should add 5 SPD maybe, where a Buster Sword would subtract 3-4 SPD. Rm2k3 is really really really weird and you need to keep in mind that LESS IS MORE when dealing with SPD.

If you want HIGAH NUMBAHZ you need to just multiple every number I just gave you have by n, where n is (30 x n = desired base hero stat).
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Craze link=topic=3190.msg62796#msg62796 date=1235219371

SPEED in rm2k3 is tricky. I suggest having it be static the ENTIRE GAME outside of equipment; maybe try 30 SPD as a baseline for everybody. If you want a slow character, subtract 3-5 points (and the opposite for fast characters). For monsters (PAY ATTENTION, NOW) base their average SPD at 10 SPD. Fast monsters have a SPD of 15, slow monsters have a SPD of 7.

Equipment that speeds up a character should add 5 SPD maybe, where a Buster Sword would subtract 3-4 SPD. Rm2k3 is really really really weird and you need to keep in mind that LESS IS MORE when dealing with SPD.

If you want HIGAH NUMBAHZ you need to just multiple every number I just gave you have by n, where n is (30 x n = desired base hero stat).

Thief.
LouisCyphre
PHYSICAL ELEMENT
A-150%
B-100%
C-50%
D-0%
E-100% absorbed

MAGICAL ELEMENT
A-450%
B-300%
C-150%
D-0%
E-300% absorbed

1000-DAMAGE ELEMENT
A-1000%
B-100%
C-30%
D-0%
E-0%

My base damages for magic skills are as follows:

Level I spell = ~30-50 damage
Level II spell = ~90-150 damage
Level III spell = ~270-450 damage

Also, healing as thrice the rating for damage, and level III heals full-heal.

And ATK = DEF should be halving the damage. I think it helps to prevent players from grinding against lower-level enemies.

Now the static speed thing - that's tricky. Why have monster speed at one-third yours? I can understand having monsters that show up in packs have lower speed to avoid letting the player get raped. Or is this to keep player ATB gauges moving quickly?
Craze
It's to keep stuff moving quickly. Slow rm2k3 battles are not fun.
LouisCyphre
Okay, now that bit about
author=Craze link=topic=3190.msg62795#msg62795 date=1235219057
60/5=12; need 24 atk at level one
750/2.5=300; need 600 atk at level 99

Is this to ensure the proper damage ratios at the proper levels?

Now, what should my buffs and debuffs add/subtract? Or should the inflict double/half stat conditions?

I want the same bonus to be useful all through the game, how would I go about this?
Craze
Percentages would be the way to go if you want to get constant use out of them.

If you're willing to do complex buff/debuffs, I say go play Dragon Quest 8 and take notes.
LouisCyphre
The problem is I'm using 2k3. It's either stat*2 or stat+n. In addition, a stat*2 buff condition and a stat/2 debuff condition won't cancel out without heavy battle events.

How does one fix this without multiple tiers of buffs and debuffs?
LouisCyphre
Another issue:
When using Stat+n buffs in 2k3, there seems to be a limit is to how much a stat can be raised.

Case in point, I have a buff that raises speed by 10 (since to average is 100.) After three uses it starts to miss consistently. Is the limit 130% of the base stat? 125%? Does is cut off at that limit, or does it simply cause following buffs to fail?
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
From what I've noticed, more SPD does not necessarily mean faster ATBs. I could be mistaken though. But I remember Chrono Crisis had all the SPD stats cranked up to 999 and it looked really goofy for not changing the flow of battles at all.

I usually try to keep the SPD stat relatively equal for all heroes and monsters. You can easily find the "average" SPD of a particular battle by adding the sum of all SPD stats and dividing by the total number of monsters and heroes. Then from that value you can figure out whether a particular hero is going to have a slower or faster ATB.
Craze
You are correct, DHM. It is the deviation of a battler's speed that determines ATB fill-up.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Oh my... I hadn't realized it until now but that is an application of Standard Deviation isn't it? ;)
LouisCyphre
But do numeric buffs and debuffs cut off at a certain point? Or will they continue to stack up to 999?
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
You can have 3996 of a stat in RM2K3.

999 base

999 <- amount you can increase it with numeric buffs so...

times 2 with a "double" status effect = 3996
LouisCyphre
In other words, a buff will not stop at, say, 150% or 125% of a certain stat?
Craze
Unless the stat is 666 or 799, no.
LouisCyphre
In that case I'll have to remove speed buffs and debuffs.
author=Craze link=topic=3190.msg62796#msg62796 date=1235219371

I'm completing overhauling how I handle speed thanks to this post, because it looks like it makes a lot of sense. This better work or I'm gonna hunt you down.

YOU HEAR ME
Craze
badass

Fo' realz: I have used that tactic (enemies use 1/3 actor AGI) in the past and I swear by it for rm2k3. Badluck does, too!
Pages: first 12 next last