DOES ANYONE NOT FINISH GAMES THEY PURCHASE?

Pages: first 1234 next last
So I'm sure this terrible affliction has befallen some of us here, and that affliction is...

Are there any games you've purchased, for any system/console, that you simply have stopped playing before you beat them?

I hate it when I do this. I REALLY hate it. There a handful of games that I've bought, yet have not finished, games that I like too! Arg! It just really grinds my gears.

So let's compile a list of the games we haven't finished.

Games Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant has bought, yet has not finished.
Advances Wars: Days of Ruin (DS)
Final Fantasy 4 (DS)
Chrono Trigger (DS)
Magical Starsign (DS)
Resident Evil 0 (Gamecube)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (PS2)
Dynasty Warriors 6 (Xbox 360; haven't unlocked all the characters)

Obviously, this is more common for me on the DS, why, I don't know; that is actually over half of by DS games...tragic.
I'll edit this post if I ever beat any of them.
This is off the top of my head...

Games kentona has bought (or received), yet have not finished:
Command & Conquer 3 (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)
Age of Empires III (PC)
Dungeon Seige II (PC)
Dragon Quest VIII (PS3)
Dark Kingdom (PS3)
Burnout Paradise (PS3)
Final Fantasy XII (PS3)
The Force Unleashed (PS3)
Shaun White Snowboarding (PS3)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Dragon Quest Swords (Wii)
Puzzle Quest (Wii)
Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Wii Music (Wii)
Dragon Quest IV (DS)

...keeping in mind this is only for recent systems. I own systems all the way back to the Atari 2600.
I do this with most games that I buy nowadays. =[
It'd be quicker for me to name the games I've beaten than those left around collecting dust. The only system I'm actually making progress with is my DS and that's because of 1.5 hour communites every weekday
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I'm glad I waited until Rogue Galaxy was cheap.
This happens to me nearly always. In some instances I get to the endgame and quit there.

I hardly ever finish RPGs. I just restart them...

Unfinished games:
Fallout
Fallout 2
Diablo 2
Temple of Elemental Evil
Commandos
GTA Vice City
Discworld Noir
Super Mario Galaxy
Metroid Prime
Need for Speed Underground

And probably loads more. I can't remember on the top of my head. I have a couple of PC games I haven't even installed yet that I've bought but I didn't count them since I haven't even played them yet.

Also I suppose "unfinishable" games don't count. Although I do believe I've played through campaigns in all my 4X games and played through seasons in all my sports games.
Games AeroGP has bought (or received), yet has not finished:
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Star Ocean: 'Till the end of Time (PS2)
Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift (DS)
Megaman ZX (DS)

The only reason I haven't beat them is because my brother ended up finishing them first, so I lost all motivation to play to the end. The only exceptions to this are Final Fantasy X and Star Ocean 3, which naturally I'm getting around to beating.
author=Shinan link=topic=3225.msg63691#msg63691 date=1235675028
Unfinished games:
Diablo 2
This is hard to believe! The game is all about gettin' loot at the higher difficulty levels, and to get to them you have to beat the game at least once!
author=kentona link=topic=3225.msg63683#msg63683 date=1235673373

Command & Conquer 3 (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)

I don't think It's possible to "Finish" World of Warcraft.
author=VerifyedRasta link=topic=3225.msg63703#msg63703 date=1235681560
author=kentona link=topic=3225.msg63683#msg63683 date=1235673373

Command & Conquer 3 (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)

I don't think It's possible to "Finish" World of Warcraft.
Well, I haven't even installed it yet.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Too many..

Games Tau has bought (or received), yet has not finished:
Grand Theft Auto IV(PS3 yes, not on my 360 as it's the second time Ive had to buy this game)
Street Fighter IV(Haven't unlocked all the characters.. Fucken Seth)
Fallout 3(Barely started this one)
Geometry Wars 1&2
Granturismo 3&4(These games are always the same, what's the big deal?)
Overlord(Great game but never got around to it)
Rogue Galaxy(Alright game for the first couple of hours but just drags on with bullshit I didn't care about. Travel the galaxy my ass)
Mass Effect(Got like 3/4 of the way through then just stopped for some reason)
Lost Odyssey(At the last boss but been doing the extras before finishing it y'know)
Bioshock(Same reason as Mass Effect)
Soul Reaver(I lost the game haha)
Final Fantasy IV/V/VI(I have the PSOne versions of these games and just didn't really get around to them)
Quake III(PC)(I had this on my PC for so long but never used it. One day I just decided to get rid of it.. I now regret that decision)
Spyro 2(This was back when Spyro games were actually good!)
Chaos Legion(This game is just terrible. So glad I got it from a friend)

There's more but I just can't think of them right now as I'm at course.
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant link=topic=3225.msg63680#msg63680 date=1235670654
Advances Wars: Days of Ruin (DS)
Same here. The last mission is HAAAARD.
Eh, if you look at my sig you can see plenty of games I haven't finished. Although I haven't bought a new game in foreeever. I plan to sometime soon, but I have been slowly catching up with my staggering amount of games. Most of them I've gotten really far in too, just haven't quite gone all the way.
It's funny how no one was noticed the topic title's awesome grammar :)
DoAnyone Not Finish Games They Purchase?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Yes. I do this. Sometimes. (Often I will play old game (like final fantasy tactics) or freeware games (like dwarf fortress) instead of new games I've purchased.
My problem is this: I buy a game, start getting into it, and overplay it. I decide I need to take a break from that game. I do something else, and then "Woah, that game just came out? I need to buy it!"

I then begin on this new game, and the old game does not get finished.
Between a job, other hobbies, and my attempts to train myself for and/or break into another career altogether, my free time is at an all-time low, despite my disposable income being at an all-time high. It's become increasingly difficult to finish long games. I only just finished Zelda: Twilight Princess a month or two ago, after having it a year. But it does speaks worlds for games that I do finish fairly quickly, like Tales of Vesperia (by "fairly quickly," I mean it only took me like a month, and I actually stuck with it).

Actually, I think that might be a big part of why portables are doing so well right now. Gamers are getting older and older, and a lot of them are in basically the same situation as me, and games that can be started and stopped quickly and saved anywhere are a lot easier for someone with a busy schedule to finish. I may not be able to finish Dragon Quest VIII, but if I could play it when I'm riding in a car or on my lunch break at work, or going to the bathroom, I could probably knock it out in a couple of weeks. It's a lot tougher to get in a few minutes at a time of a console game because between the load times, the time it takes to save, and the time it takes to get your TV set up to play it (not to mention the extra steps if you're playing import titles--slide card, anyone?), it feels like playing for less than a few hours at a time is more trouble than it's worth. Which, yes, is incredibly lazy, but I don't care.

Doesn't hurt that they're cheap to buy and to make, either. Being cheap to make means the developers take more risks, and being cheap to buy means the consumers aren't as scared to take risks on new ideas either.
Pages: first 1234 next last