[COMMUNITY PROJECT] MISSIONGARDE -- CLASS REFINING IN PROGRESS

author=Max McGee link=topic=3474.msg70751#msg70751 date=1239777420
It's from ghouls and goblins. : |

Glad you noticed. However the text isn't.
Okay, I'm just about ready to start work on the project - specifically the database.

1)
We need to finalize the class list pronto and agree upon class progression. While I can post a summarized list, I think AeroGP and Max have been collecting and catagorizing that information so I'll let them contribute first.

2)
Now, I've converted a bunch of DQ charsets into battlechars, with the anticipation of having battles look something like this:

HOWEVER, I am still open to other ideas or formats. In particular, I think it'd be neat to have simple battle backgrounds like earlier FFs (where it is mostly black BUT at the top there would be a simple treeline, or field, or mountains, etc...

I do not have those resources.

3)
We need to consider what monster graphics we want to use. I do have a lot of DQ monsters, but they were designed for a front view system.

I'll be using them as place holders for now until we either agree to use them, or someone suggests something else.
Maybe I should start a separate Resources thread...

I'll check that out after work FG. It's currently blocked.
author=Darken link=topic=3474.msg70753#msg70753 date=1239779578
author=Max McGee link=topic=3474.msg70751#msg70751 date=1239777420
It's from ghouls and goblins. : |

Glad you noticed. However the text isn't.

Ghosts and Goblins I thought. Not just that, but it took the line from Friday the 13th the game (you and your friends are dead).

EDIT:

As for the battle system. After playing your Generica, the RPGM 2K3 is a very dull choice of a battle system. I can't remember if you can switch battle systems for 2K3, but it is dull waiting 10-15 seconds for each battle turn. The untimed battle system feels better.

Final Fantasy backgrounds look better for sure just like Dragon Fantasy.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
No, she's right about rm2k3's DBS being awful.

The only way you can get the ATB bars to move quickly is for the party to DRAMATICALLY over-AGI the enemy, or for there to be only one party member.

All these theories about lol set AGI to 999 for everyone don't work.
EXECUTIVE DECISION #2:

The maker is RPG Maker 2003

I can pound out a game in RM2k3 in 10 days, but it'd be MONTHS before I could do the same with VX.

(Worldbuilders I believe is made in VX - I'd suggest join that effort if you can't stand RM2k3)

MODIIFY:

ADDENDUM #2.1:

...unless someone else wants to code the battle events and someone wants to convert the NES DQ graphics to RMVX format. Essentially, it means that I would be giving up control of the project to someone proficient in RMVX and letting them take the lead, and stepping down.

Some things to keep in mind:
- Not sure if anyone else has the time or wherewithall to take this project over
- I wouldn't be much help anymore
- I'd still make a mission or two
- I think we should avoid RMVX RTP

Thoughts?

True, but is there a way to manipulate or script change the battle system in 2K3? That was more what I was suggesting with my complaint.

To manipulate the system, perhaps enemies should have 1/3rds the agility of play characters. But that would mean starting off with dozens of stats and hundreds of HP.
author=maia link=topic=3474.msg70799#msg70799 date=1239810559
True, but is there a way to change the battle system in 2K3? That was more what I was suggesting with my complaint.

Or perhaps enemies should have 1/3rds the agility of play characters. But that would mean starting off with dozens of stats and hundreds of HP.
Not really. By tripling the AGL of heroes over monsters, the heroes will always strike first and strike often, destroying the game balance. It is my chief complaint with RM2k3 (that, and the ROW command).
That would become a game building quandry. No let me rephrase that.

Maybe hero agility = 30
enemy agility = 20

Does 2K3 agility impact attacks or anything else (Sorry its been 3 years since I've done 2K3).

Make the enemies so they outnumber the play party or make them strong enough to survive a few hits instead of a complete slaughter.

Bigger enemies, but less of them.
Smaller enemies, but more than the party.

In other words, if in each battle you get hit once or twice would be a good thing.
Dragon Warrior had gobs of enemy battles, every 4 steps I think.

Not my choice though. Maybe someone else could throw in an idea?
So, to strike a balance between battle speed and battle balance, we'd have heroes have (roughly) 50% more AGL? I can live with that.

I was already planning on having a fixed AGL stat for all classes.

AGL Ranges
HEROES: 85 ~ 115
MONSTERS: 50 ~ 80

I think the AGL also impacts chance to run away, and your To Hit %.
Whatever works best even trial and error when doing test battles.
I firmly believe that the AGI-diffrence to determine who gets to act first between party and monsters is exponential, irregarding the actual values. IE the atb bar goes faster if you have a monster with 11 AGI vs a hero with 21 than having a hero with 230 AGI vs a monster with 150 (or vice versa).

Anyhow, maybe it's just my mind playing a trick on me since I enjoy LOW number-stats.

While that seems to be the case in my experience, during my tests I also noticed an increased rate of Missed attacks with lower AGL stats, regardless of the ratio.

I recommended those ranges because it gives us more numbers to play with, given the large number of classes we have designed.
Firstly, I'm going to briefly list each class, their attribute type, their special commands, and their class point costs. I would like all the contributors of these classes to refer back to my lists and confirm agreement to the proposed class setups. This is especially important for the Ranger class, for which there was an unresolved discrepancy on what it's supposed to do. Also, I feel there is a lopsided amount of magic advanced classes and am proposing some of them be merged together.

Secondly, I'd like confirmation on whether it is possible for the Bard's Heroic March (WarMarch) to only slightly increase attack. I made it BIKILL simply because I could not remember if it was possible otherwise to change the player's stats temporarily in RM2k3.

Before you ask, I was keeping Generica and Final Fantasy in mind when I modified the names of each technique; if we so decide to use a longer name limitation than 9 letters, the old names will be kept.

28 CLASSES TOTAL

BASIC: (3 physical, 3 magic, 3 rogue)
Soldier (Physical/IMPACT)
Knight (Physical/RALLY)
Raider (Physical/RUSH)
Cleric (Magic/DIVINE)
Mage (Magic/ARCANA)
Druid (Magic/NATURAL)
Freelancer (Rogue/ESSENTIAL)
Infiltrator (Rogue/HIDE/STEAL)
Artificier (Rogue/MUSKET/ARTIFICE)

ADVANCED: (4 physical, 7 magic, 3 rogue)
Garou (Physical/TRANSFORM)
Carnitank (Physical/RAISE/SHIELD)
Monk (Physical/MEDITATE/AURA)
Evoker (Physical/ENCHANT) (Enchanter)
Cyromancer (Magic/VANISH/TIME)
Summoner (Magic/COMMUNE/SUMMON)
Scholar (Magic/STUDY/LEARNED)
Ritualist (Magic/DARKNESS) (Cultist)
Harlequin (Magic/ROULETTE) (Randomizer)
Psychic (Magic/MENTAL) (Mentalist) (pending)
Magitank (Magic/BARRIER) (pending)
Bard (Rogue/DUALITY/SING)
Poacher (Rogue/CALL/HUNTING) (Tamer was merged)
Slayer (Rogue/ANTI) (Magic Hunter)

ELITE: (2 physical, 2 magic, 0 rogue)
God Hand (Physical/TECHNIQUE/GOD HAND)
Gladiator (Physical/IMPACT/RUSH/WARCRY) (Barbarian)
Wizard (Magic/ABSOLUTE)
Archmage (Magic/DOUBLCAST/ARCANA)

I felt that there wasn't enough benefit to picking the Soldier over the Knight, so I gave it IMPACT (without taking it away from Barbarian).
In my opinion Tamer == Poacher == Scholar, in terms of Learn Enemy Skills basic ability.

I'll have to look into the more recent classes like Psychic and Magitank, too.

MODIFY:

Also, Pyromancer, Mime, Mentalist?
Yeah, I was thinking of merging Tamer and Poacher, if their contributors allow it. Scholar is predominatly magic based, though, so it wouldn't merge well. Just think of it as the "magic counterpart" to Tamer/Poacher.

The problem is, after merging Tamer/Poacher we'll only have 5 physical classes compared to 7 magic classes (assuming Psychic and Magitank are rejected; if not, then that's 9). That's why I also feel that Cultist and Magic Hunter could be combined as well. Then the distribution won't be as bad, and we'd still have 24 classes.

The Carnitank and the Monk are a little too similar, as well... damn, we're lacking physical classes.

Poacher (Physical/CALL/HUNTING)
Slayer (Magic/DARKNESS/ANTI)

EDIT: Pyromancer and Mime were bricked by Max. Psychic is Mentalist.
I'd consider the Slayer to be a physical type, geared towards killing Mages and other magic types.
I suppose. The stats suggest a mage class, but it does still use physical equipment. I'll make the change on the list, and that should balance things for now.

EDIT: Still wondering about that Ranger class...