[COMMUNITY PROJECT] MISSIONGARDE -- CLASS REFINING IN PROGRESS

Took DE's advice, will let kentona decide on color.

Verily! I like the black one slightly more.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
I like the black one a bit more as well. It reminds me of a dark night and the moon is shining. I like that effect.
Pyromancer
Class Rank: Basic (Basic/Advanced/Elite)
Class Points:
Description:

A mage taught fire spells exclusively. They are often chosen by a cult when they are young and taken as babies in order to learn their pyromancy.

HP: 4
MP: 6
STR: 3
DEF: 3
INT: 5
AGL: 5

Battle Commands: (Explain any new ones)
FIGHT
PYROMANCY (use of fire through white and black magic)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
1. Blaze - typical flame attack.
2. Inner Burning - heals the pyromancer
3. Angst - anger creates berserk
4. Fire Blade - covers a weapon in flames for attacking
5. Fireballs - damages all enemies with fireballs
6. Flamerang - dual attack with flames
7. Flame Tongue - greater damage than Blaze
8. Pyro - defensive spell that engulphs the user in flames (similar to ironize)
9. Engulph - lights an enemy on fire much like poison, but it does not last long.
10. Flare - lights up a dark area such as a cave
11. Volcanic - massive damage to all enemies
12. Infernus - engulphs all enemies with flame like poison (EngulphAll)

Condition/Attribute Resistances:

F. Fire magic heals.
A. Extremely weak to water magic

Dual Wield? No
Mighty Guard? No
AI Control? No
Lock Equip.? No
EXP leveling: Slow
Equipment Notes:

Can only equip daggers, knives, claws and small bladed weapons.

General Notes:

Mime
Class Rank: Basic (Basic/Advanced/Elite)
Class Points:
Description:

Laughed upon by most of society, this class has strange bennefits known only to them.

HP: 2
MP: 4
STR: 1
DEF: 1
INT: 4
AGL: 1

MIME (strange dances and actions) (mimes do not fight)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
1. Fisticuffs - causes berserk in a single enemy
2. Hide - evades enemy attacks by becoming invisible, cannot attack durring use
3. Steal - just a typical steal
4. Trapped - causes paralysis in a single enemy
5. Mute - Mutes a single enemy
6. Silence - Mutes all enemies
7. Smitten - creates confusion in an enemy or multiple enemies
8. Fish - water element damage to a single foe
10. Windy Day - causes a gust of wind to damage all enemies that only the mime can withstand
11. Robot - Creates an ironizing effect on the mime to not take any damage

Average resistance to everything.
F. Very strong resistance to Mute

Dual Wield? No
Mighty Guard? No
AI Control? No
Lock Equip.? No
EXP leveling: Fast
Equipment Notes:

Cannot fight and can only equip simple clothes, hats, shoes. Can wear masks instead of hats. Can be lazy.

General Notes:

Mentalist
Class Rank: Advanced (Basic/Advanced/Elite)
Class Points:
Description:

A powerful mage that can use his mental abilities to outwit the enemies.

HP: 2
MP: 5
STR: 2
DEF: 3
INT: 7
AGL: 5

FIGHT
MENTAL (use of magic)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
1. ESP - predict an enemy attack or double agility
2. Paralysis - Paralyses enemies
3. ParaDarts - Mental darts to all enemies
4. Peak - Takes a look at an enemies weakness
5. Hypnotize - Random effect, confusion, paralysis, mute or chicken
6. Silence - Quiets all enemies with Mute
7. Fear - Strikes fear in enemies with various effects, weak defense, lower accuracy
8. Exit - Exits an area
9. Return - Returns to an area
10. Mark - Sets an area to be recalled later
11. Recall - Returns to a marked area
12. Chicken - Turns a single enemy into a chicken with weakened defense and attacks

Average resistance to everything.
F. Very strong resistance to Mute

Dual Wield? No
Mighty Guard? No
AI Control? No
Lock Equip.? No
EXP leveling: Average
Equipment Notes:

Can use staffs and rods. Can only wear cloaks, robes. Can only wear silly hats that focus mental energy.

General Notes:
So I guess we're going with Darken's design then, eh? Well, I wanna say that out of the two, I like the black one more.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
@Maia:

I think I am going to summarily REJECT those two basic classes because they ruin the whole SYMMETRY thing I have been working on. Pyromancer is a good counterpoint to CRYOMANCER and might work well as an Advanced class, but makes Carnitank somewhat redundant.

Mime, on the other hand, well I just think Mimes are silly.

Mentalist, however, is really cool and I think it fills a needed gap (status effect/crowd control mage)!
Scholar
Class Rank: Basic
Class Points:
Description: Scholars travel around the world in a ravenous hunt for knowledge. With their outrageous ambitions, they can achieve almost anything.

HP: 3
MP: 3
DEF: 2
AGL: 3

Battle Commands:
FIGHT
STUDY (Attempts to study allied/enemy movements to learn their skills, or increase statpoints permanently)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
None. That is - they do not possess any initial skills apart from those they learn from the command "STUDY"

Dual Wield? no
Mighty Guard? no
AI Control? no
Lock Equip.? no
EXP leveling: V.Fast
Equipment Notes: Scholars can equip most kinds of weapons & armor, but most certainly not the strongest in any direction. Not the most powerful sword of doomnooker, neither the almighty magecape of conjuring +511.

General Notes:
Scholars do not gain any stats nor skills from leveling up. Instead, they increase a variable that stores how many skills and statpoints they can gain from the command "STUDY". For instance, at level 2, the scholar can learn, say, 10 points worth of skills and statpoints. After an amount of "STUDY" usage, the scholar can have increased, say, his Intelligence and MP from studying an enemy caster, by 2 each, plus 1 or 2 skills depending on what he learnt.

I'm writing this with a severe head-ache :(
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Magitank(working name)
Class Rank: Advanced
Class Points: Moderate
Description: A magical counterpart to the Carnitank, this hefty mage specializes in reducing damage from magical attacks and preventing magically-enchanted enemies from casting.

HP: 5
STR: 3
DEF: 5
INT: 7

FIGHT
BARRIER - Magitank command. Shield your allies form magical might.
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
(Spell Name - Level Gained - explanation if unusual)
Quarter 1:
Silence - Silence one foe.
Barrier Red - Raise one ally's Fire resistance.
Barrier Yellow - Raise one ally's Lightning resistance.
Barrier White - Raise one ally's ice resistance.

Quarter 2:
Discord - Halve one foe's INT.
Mirror - Cause one ally to reflect magical attacks for a short time.
Barrier Brown - Raise one ally's Earth resistance.
Barrier Green - Raise one ally's Wind resistance.
Barrier Blue - Raise one ally's Water Resistance.

Quarter 3:
Mute - Silence all foes.
Crimson Wall - Raise the party's Fire resistance.
Topaz Wall - Raise the party's Lightning resistance.
Crystalline Wall - Raise the party's Ice resistance.

Quarter 4:
Produce Chaos - Halve all foes' INT.
Mirror Wall - Cause the party to reflect magical attacks for a short time.
Granite Wall - Raise the party's Earth resistance.
Emerald Wall - Raise the party's Wind resistance.
Aquamarine Wall - Raise the party's Wind resistance.

Top Skill:
Mind Break - Deal greater damage to magical foes.

None to be spoken of for conditions, but perhpas half damage from fire/lighting/ice if it wouldn't be too game-breaking.

Dual Wield? No.
Mighty Guard? Yes.
AI Control? No.
Lock Equip.? No.
EXP leveling: Slow
Equipment Notes:
Moderate physical weapons (swords, axes), light physical armor(leather), no magical weapons(rods, staves), all magical armor (robes, cloaks)

General Notes:
Basically the bane of any spell-slinger that the party may encounter, but also particularly valuable in that Lava Cave Of Fiery Demise.
author=Mr.Nemo link=topic=3474.msg70435#msg70435 date=1239564682
Scholar
Class Rank: Basic
Class Points:
Description: Scholars travel around the world in a ravenous hunt for knowledge. With their outrageous ambitions, they can achieve almost anything.

HP: 3
DEF: 2

Battle Commands:
FIGHT
STUDY (Attempts to study allied/enemy movements to learn their skills, or increase statpoints permanently)
ITEM
ESCAPE

Spells:
None. That is - they do not possess any initial skills apart from those they learn from the command "STUDY"

Dual Wield? no
Mighty Guard? no
AI Control? no
Lock Equip.? no
EXP leveling: V.Fast
Equipment Notes: Scholars can equip most kinds of weapons & armor, but most certainly not the strongest in any direction. Not the most powerful sword of doomnooker, neither the almighty magecape of conjuring +511.

General Notes:
Scholars do not gain any stats nor skills from leveling up. Instead, they increase a variable that stores how many skills and statpoints they can gain from the command "STUDY". For instance, at level 2, the scholar can learn, say, 10 points worth of skills and statpoints. After an amount of "STUDY" usage, the scholar can have increased, say, his Intelligence and MP from studying an enemy caster, by 2 each, plus 1 or 2 skills depending on what he learnt.

I'm writing this with a severe head-ache :(

author=AeroGP link=topic=3474.msg70133#msg70133 date=1239297307
SCHOLAR: Advanced (950)
Rather than create their own skills, they simply use their opponents!
Stats
FIGHT
LEARNED (MAGIC)
STUDY: If hit with an enemy-exclusive skill before next turn, that skill is added to LEARNED
ITEM
ESCAPE
--------
(Can obtain and use all enemy-exclusive skils via STUDY)
--------
Resist DISCORD, FEAR; Immune CHAOS; Weakness BERSERK
Average LV.UP
Equipment Classes: Light; Physical/Magic; Swords/Clubs/Maces; Personal Set Available (Tomes; Armor)

This is why we have the lists. T_T

(I made the Scholar class already)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
What about enemy parties that adhere to these classes?

"Hey, we took this mission already! Get of our gravy train!"
While we seem to have a pretty good handle on classes, before I can go forth and start the project in earnest, we need to come to a decision on:

1) How will the game start?

a) Do we want to have the player choose the classes for the 8 (or 6 or 4) PCs right off the bat, FF1 style? Or do we want to start them all as Generic Class X and allow them to change willy-nilly?

b) What's the story? Why are 8 people in Missiongarde, and why do they want to kick some monster asses?

c) Addendum to a), how do you see progression to more advanced classes working? ie- At a set level (say 25) does a message box pop up and say, "Yo! Pick one of dems advanced classes, dawg!" or will we have some sort of way to purchase or otherwise unlock advanced classes?
author=AeroGP link=topic=3474.msg70470#msg70470 date=1239588328
This is why we have the lists. T_T

(I made the Scholar class already)

Oh, I guess I missed that :/. blame it on the headache.
1) How will the game start?

idea A: Thrown into a story like later Final Fantasy games.
idea B: Select your party like Dragon Warrior or the earliest Final Fantasy game / Saga series.
idea C: Prologue gameplay ala Dragon Warrior VI?

Since there is no storyline yet, idea B.
Or generally start as a hero and visit a guild instead of flat out picking a party to kickoff the game.

a) Do we want to have the player choose the classes for the 8 (or 6 or 4) PCs right off the bat, FF1 style? Or do we want to start them all as Generic Class X and allow them to change willy-nilly?

Not willy nilly. Do it Dragon Warrior III / Saga style, allow the player to take on the world by himself or visit a guild for more people.

b) What's the story? Why are 8 people in Missiongarde, and why do they want to kick some monster asses?

1. Just likes kicking ass and has vowed to cleanse the world
2. Is doing it as a promise to a father
3. Is not kicking monster's ass but wanting to heal the world
4. Is doing it to study the monsters, but sometimes you need to do a little killing
5. Is in love with someone in the party
6. Is doing it for the merchandise / goods / treasure / money
7. Is a spy against the heroes
8. Is a tag along / liability to the party like a kid brought by an older sibling

c) Addendum to a), how do you see progression to more advanced classes working? ie- At a set level (say 25) does a message box pop up and say, "Yo! Pick one of dems advanced classes, dawg!" or will we have some sort of way to purchase or otherwise unlock advanced classes?

Visit specific places having to be at specific levels seems to work for other similar games. It adds to the gameplay instead of just being something to accomplish.
I agree with maia's idea. It allows the player to decide just how many party members he/she actually wants, essentially setting their own difficulty level. The remaining slots are still available throughout the game, so you can start your extra characters off as better classes once you get them.
So, do we need a Hero character then, or do I force them to choose 1 class for 1 player (henceforth known as The Leader)?
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Hm, I think allowing the Hero Character to be any of the basic class. Then we could adjust variables or switches so that the chances to get characters of certain classes are evened not like you choose a mage as a basic class then all the characters you come across from to hire are mostly spellcasters.

EDIT: For class advancement, I say do it Shining Force style. After reaching say level twenty or a good level. You can go up to anyone and promote them. However do you want character advancement to keep them at the same level or go back to level one.
author=kentona link=topic=3474.msg70517#msg70517 date=1239644181
So, do we need a Hero character then, or do I force them to choose 1 class for 1 player (henceforth known as The Leader)?

That gives me a good idea. Since Maia mentioned giving each character their own personality, why not also give them their own experiences? Force the player to choose one of the characters and a basic class, mark that character as the "leader", and have their choice slightly affect their path through the game. =)
The first play character should either have a special series of classes like:
Hero / Alter Boy / Squire / Brawler / Baron
and branch into things like:
Leader / Golden Boy / White Knight / Grappler / Mayor
and evolve into things like:
Commander / God's Warrior / General / Champion / Governor
and evolve into things like:
Savier / God / One Man Army / Grand Champion / King

The reason why I say special classes, is hero classes can use basic versions of all spells, that way you are not STUCK. Like if you have a party of all white mages, you want someone who can fight and use black magic. If you have a party full of warriors, you want someone to heal them and use black magic.

If you go with the idea that the start character can be any class, make sure there are bonuses, ala Saga, just to make them special.

As for level promotion, go back to level 1 for the simple fact then you get all tactics / spells learned from level 1 without missing any. Then of course half their stats.

Hero character is good, cause a story can suck, be cliche or dull, but if a character is memorable, they will love it :-)
The point of choosing classes is so you don't get stuck with an poorly constructed party unless you set yourself up for it on purpose. It shouldn't be possible to "get stuck" without purposefully creating the circumstances.