EVERSION

Pages: 1
Has anybody played this?

It's a freeware platformer. You play as a strange little flower thing trying to rescue a princess. In certain spots, you can "everse" and transfer between different dimensions. To find these spots you have to follow your ears. Some of these dimensions are not reccomended for those of a nervous disposition.

You can get it here: http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

Best played in the dark with headphones on.

Don't let the cutesy graphics throw you off. This is well worth playing and requires more thinking than the avg side scroller, especially if you're going for the alternate ending (though there is a shortcut if you're impatient).
The gimmick is neat and it doesn't overstay its welcome but the controls aren't the greatest and World 9-* really shows it (never mind the generally poor design of some of the levels)

Its still a fun game and you should give it a spin though!
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3780.msg75529#msg75529 date=1242604032
the controls aren't the greatest and World 9-* really shows it

True...

It helps if you consider Eversion as a survivor-horror game that doubles as a platformer. The weak controls only serve to increase the dramatic tension! Also it gives the engine more opportunities to screw around with your head.

For those of you who aren't giving this a chance due to the cutesy screenshot in the top post, reserve your judgement until World 3. That's when the cockroaches really start coming out of the woodwork.
... scary game? Scary games scare me, I hate that :-[.

Can someone clarify what kind of scary this is? Like, it's not anything like flash images of bloody hors d'oeuvres and grizzly bears and then people screaming, like that Schizophrenzy game off AdultSwim?

I like fun platformers, but not scary games so much... I'm a wimp, I know.
author=Mr. Y link=topic=3780.msg76470#msg76470 date=1243137161
... scary game? Scary games scare me, I hate that :-[.

Can someone clarify what kind of scary this is? Like, it's not anything like flash images of bloody hors d'oeuvres and grizzly bears and then people screaming, like that Schizophrenzy game off AdultSwim?

I like fun platformers, but not scary games so much... I'm a wimp, I know.

By scary game, I mean more like psychologically disturbing than shock-and-horror disturbing. Grizzly bears do not flash on the screen and people do not scream. Instead, a cute little flower thing with wide eyes prances through a stereotypical cute platformer that slowly becomes more and more sinister until the game's engine itself starts bugging out, the levels themselves start falling apart and enemies that were once cute and cuddly turn into scary shadow-things with large teeth. The music does a really good job of making this idea work, and slowly devolves in theme and tempo as the game gets more and more screwed up.

In short: Eversion is more a Lovecraftian Platformer than a The-Exorcist Platformer. So don't worry!
When does the game end?

I got to a scene with a princess, and then she turned into a monster. I coudln't move and she killed me, then the proram closed.

Either way, it was interesting, but there wasn't much to it. I was expecting the game to be much scarier/freakier than that, based on what I had read about it. If there's more to the game beyond that, let me know, but overall I wasn't impressed. Cool concept, but not the greatest execution.

I don't really like platformers where the stratey is to die a bunch of times and have the levels memorized, anyway.
I beat it, got both endings. It uses an interesting concept, but the level design wasn't all that great.

For those to lazy to figure out how, to get to world eight you have to:
Collect every gem, then everse at the new dimension that appears at the beginning of level seven.

Edit:
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3780.msg75529#msg75529 date=1242604032
World 9-*
Wait a minute, there's a World 9?
My bad, World 8-* :x
Damn, the guy fixed the shortcut.

In an earlier version, you could skip collecting all the gems by jumping over the flag at the end of world 7 and keep walking off the edge of the screen until you hit world 8. Not anymore :(

(I think you can still hex-edit it to give you all the gems though..)
You should really play it the way Zaratustra wanted you to play it though. I mean warps are fine as long as they're not exploits but then again I won't play this any time soon.
Did anyone else notice that there's like sixteen or so different paths/rooms that can be taken through World 8 depending on which everse spots you use and how many you use in each room? Some of them are quite cleverly hidden, like there's one you can only get by falling down into a bunch of thorns that disappear if you evert right before you hit them.

The fastest pathway I've found through it took me one minute and thirty something seconds.
Even though people said this game was messed up, I still didn't expect how it turned out. The only thing I really hated about this though was the inability to easily move through a one square space between bricks. That screwed me over I dunno how many times. Still got the second ending. I liked it :P
Pages: 1