GAME DESIGN ARTICLES.

Pages: first 12 next last
WIP and Holb have asked if I would write some more game design articles for RMN, and I accepted. I'll probably do a new one every couple weeks. I shouldn't have any problems coming up with subjects to cover, but if there's anything in particular you guys would like to see me take on please feel free to suggest it in this thread.

(Disclaimer: all of my ideas come from being an amateur game developer, knowing a guy who works for Konami and/or being a crab in a top hat.)
Make an article about making interesting villains?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I wouldn't mind seeing an article on spicing up boss fights. Coming up with eighty distinct ones is kind of taxing.
Now that you're back I can retire from RM.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=3952.msg78983#msg78983 date=1244434171
I wouldn't mind seeing an article on spicing up boss fights. Coming up with eighty distinct ones is kind of taxing.

That's what she said.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Craze, shut up.

I'd be interested in article talking about ways to improve pacing. A lot of games are all over the place when it comes to introducing new concepts or throwing massive walls of text at you.
It amuses me that you think I'd have anything useful to say on the subject of pacing considering I am pretty much the Grand Poobah of the wall-o-text.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I said massive walls of text. There are far worse games that don't even let you play the game for 15 minutes after starting a new game.
Seeing how I am unemployed and sinking into mediocrity, I will write some more game design articles so that you cats can learn a thing or two from the master *blows on knuckes and rubs them on his chest*.
author=WIP link=topic=3952.msg79137#msg79137 date=1244501903
I said massive walls of text. There are far worse games that don't even let you play the game for 15 minutes after starting a new game.

I already wrote an article about how every intro sucks, though.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
author=Blitzen link=topic=3952.msg79144#msg79144 date=1244502656
Seeing how I am unemployed and sinking into mediocrity, I will write some more game design articles so that you cats can learn a thing or two from the master *blows on knuckes and rubs them on his chest*.

Did you ever release that FF Empires or whatever game?
I got a demo out of that one. I am working on other stuff now...but I don't make games to finish them I make them because I enjoy making them.
Sup, Brick. Have you tackled gameplay balance yet? I've read all the articles, including Gameplay Consistency, but I think a lot of people can benefit from, specifically, balancing battles. Ideally would cover the following:

• Knowing when your enemies are just plain overpowered, as opposed to "challenging"
  • How to increment difficulty during game progression
  • How to create challenge sans HEY LET'S CRANK UP ALL THE STATS
  • Should EVERY encounter be a fight to the death?
  • If the player is not preoccupied with losing the game at any given second, what gameplay rewards can be offered?
  • How to implement any or all of the above

Awesome, thanks bud. Draft by Tuesday.
One thing that has always intrigued me is optional content, or "sidequests"
At what point to introduce it, how connected it should be to the main stuff, how to motivate players to pursue it, etc.
The different varieties of Maruchan Ramen noodles and the pluses and minuses to each.
author=Jude link=topic=3952.msg79800#msg79800 date=1244751095
The different varieties of Maruchan Ramen noodles and the pluses and minuses to each.

Everyone knows Top Ramen is superior, noob.
You like Top Ramen? Need Top Ramen?
Got a cupboard full of 'em, I'll keep 'em comin'
You want it, I got it, go get it, just heat it
Dump the flavor packet on it and eat it
the only thing "noodley" about game design is the ill placed conception of the necessity of cutscenes. that is noodley.
Pages: first 12 next last