THE EMULATION DEBATE

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I emulate. I don't try to rationalize it. I don't give a shit. Try and stop me.
I ADMIRE YOUR SPIRIT MOG UNFORTUNATELY I AM THE POLICE
Well, it's not like I'm trying to say I'M PROUD OF MY ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES or anything like that. I agree that if you do something illegal/wrong, it's stupid to try and rationalize it unless you feel its really subjective or grey.

Emulating things is one my many vices as a human being, and there's little sense in covering my ass for it. If you do something that's objectively or subjectively wrong/illegal to someone else or yourself, own up to it. I lied to my boss very recently. I engage in premarital sex from time to time. I partake in some mary jane every so often. I jaywalk. I will continue to do these things until I no longer feel like doing it or until it is risky to do so further. It is what it is.

However I will say that it may be gray area to emulate really old, obscure games that have no chance of reproduction anywhere. I dunno, the legal information about that isn't my forte.
oh no don't get me wrong I am exactly the same as you. especially the premarital sex part
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=Feldschlacht IV link=topic=3971.msg79783#msg79783 date=1244750267
Emulating things is one my many vices as a human being, and there's little sense in covering my ass for it. If you do something that's objectively or subjectively wrong/illegal to someone else or yourself, own up to it. I lied to my boss very recently. I engage in premarital sex from time to time. I am a furry. I partake in some mary jane every so often. I jaywalk. I will continue to do these things until I no longer feel like doing it or until it is risky to do so further. It is what it is.
::)
no you are the furry
i also agree that there is no need to cover your ass
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
There is pretty much no need to cover your ass. The chance of the EMULATION POLICE busting down your down and slurping down all your fish and confiscating your computer is pretty much nil.
i see you are a fan of lederhosen too
Personally I find that playing on my TV with the controller in my hand is more fun etc, and also the idea of computers being the be-all end-all and taking over every form of entertainment is... scary, and emulators only reinforce that.

That's not really an argument, just a sentiment. In a way I like the fact that roms/emulators exist because it serves as a giant "fuck you" to Nintendo for not putting the most obvious games on the virtual console (Star Fox 2, Earthbound, etc...)
Playing Secret of Mana with a guy in Texas and another on the east coast was pretty fun. So is playing Rockman no Constance (ps best megaman) anywhere I go.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=3971.msg79824#msg79824 date=1244754165
So is playing Rockman no Constance (ps best megaman) anywhere I go.
Only if your idea of fun is putting your dick in a pencil sharpener. Fuck Quick Man.

Edit: Nice. Found a YouTube video of his bullshit stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsP2r0rNHd8
It's tough, but the Wily Tank is the real bitch of the game. (Plus beating Flash Man and Air Man help out a lot)

Now Deus Ex Machina on the other hand...
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=geodude link=topic=3971.msg79773#msg79773 date=1244749748
I ADMIRE YOUR SPIRIT MOG UNFORTUNATELY I AM THE POLICE
That's some of the funniest shit Ive seen on this forum. Also, fuck furrys.
i aim to please

sexually
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
You know, I think old Snes games were like, seriously works of art. Square is such a dump now that I don't really see any correlation between the company and people that made those old games and the company that exists now. I feel like those games are the property of the minds who created them and are a direct communication to the people they made them for (you and me circa 1995). Idk, I feel like those awesome experiences sort of transcend the RETAIL PRODUCT thing. They are just creative works to me now. Even putting the matter of availability/language aside, it seems so weird to think seriously about the ethics of emulating them without having paid for them.

I don't want to pay Square Enix to play Secret of Mana. I want to pay Koichi Ishii, Hiroki Kikuta, etc. Okay, maybe that's not the best example because afaik Ishii is still at Square but many/most of the people who made those old games aren't. (PS: I bought Heroes of Mana and stuff even though they are kind of not good because I want the Mana series to succeed/continue.) This isn't a rationalization for piracy because I have never felt the need to make some bizarre justification for my THEFT but it's just how I logically view things. I feel a direct debt to the creators of those works that I don't feel will be paid by me purchasing the retail product 15 years later.

*slips 100$ bill to Masato Kato*
Interesting post, Ciel! I never thought of it that way.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Ciel makes some good points.

It's not like I haven't emulated the hell out of those old SNES works of art. However, I did, at one point, BUY the game retail. So. :)
Good thing the law accepts them as works of art and won't make you pay money if you're caught. ::)
Personally, I feel there's something to be said by being able to hold a gamebox and manual in your hands, and play on a real TV with real controls as the developers intended, but some old games are just too hard to find nowadays that downloading is the only option. Of course, I would love to buy an actual copy of Chrono Trigger for my SNES if I ever found one, as I believe in paying for something I like, but I can't get an old copy, so I download.

Thus, the only games I emulate are ones I actually own (or used to own) or were never released in my country. The ones I own are just there purely for conveniance. I'd much rather have all my SNES, GBA and PS1 games on my PC rather than having to constantly sort through and plug in different consoles.
Pages: first prev 123 next last