MORE STRESS SHOULD BE PUT ON CUSTOM GRAPHICS

I believe that more stress should be put on custom graphics. I look at the screenshot topics on GamingW and RMN, and all of the games use horribly ugly anime-style graphics. I believe that more creativity and work should be put into creating a memorable and original style for your game. Don't you think?
post=98174
I look at the screenshot topics on GamingW and RMN, and all of the games use horribly ugly anime-style graphics.

I believe you did not see my game, which utilizes many custom graphics.
post=98174
I look at the screenshot topics on GamingW and RMN, and all of the games use horribly ugly anime-style graphics.

Don't really see what you mean here.
I can't confirm. The only screens I've posted here as yet are full of custom graphics (they are completely custom), and I've seen others, too.
Please make custom graphics on your own and then show us what you exactly meant.
Well, certainly you know that making custom graphics is more time-consuming, right? And just what are you supposed to do if you can't draw or pixel?
I'd like to point out (ONCE AGAIN) that quality graphics are difficult to make, and elongate the development time of a game. I could completely rip at you right now since I'm sick, tired, and sore, not to mention I'm also sick and tired of people complaining about 'No cutom graphics BOO BOO BEE BOO'

I'm going to use customs in my 'break'' project though.

Show us some of yours, and then I'll consider obliging. Thank you.
Not everyone is a spriter ya know
More stress should be put on custom music by Relyt.
post=98174
I believe that more stress should be put on custom graphics. I look at the screenshot topics on GamingW and RMN, and all of the games use horribly ugly anime-style graphics. I believe that more creativity and work should be put into creating a memorable and original style for your game. Don't you think?

Then go make some.

:p
I love anime-style graphics. And to be honest, the RTP artists were actually pretty good at what they do. You might not like their style, but they still did a good job drawing everything. Many editors either come with no or crappy royalty free materials for you to use (although often they license you to only use it with the associated engine).

And not everyone can sprite that well. Not to mention it's hard to find someone nice enough to do any of this stuff for you on your hobby project.

COME ON GUYS you should stress custom MUSICS and battle system, no wait!- you should also write your own GAEM ENGINE in ASM so you have to write your own POGAMMING LANGUAGE, let's not stop there you have to build your own keyboard and semiconductors.
Actually, you know what really counts? It's not even a matter of opinion, this isn't.

What counts is what the game is, not how it looks. Even if it uses ripped graphics, if the story is engaging and interesting, or the gameplay is exciting, or both. Games should be measured in this sense, not about how many times you've seen rudra or REFMAP.
more stress should be put on not bitching about retarded things

more stress should be put on not using shitty old makers

more stress should be put on your stress ball

more stress should be put on actually finishing your fucking game regardless of the quality of the graphics, music, gameplay and story because lord knows you won't finish it otherwise you fucking dip
quit bringing up that old maker bullshit. It gets tiring.

the only important thing in a game is gameplay.
One Solution: Just finish your first 10 games without worrying bout graphics or custom jazz
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
It's really easy to rip this notion apart with statements like

post=98196
COME ON GUYS you should stress custom MUSICS and battle system, no wait!- you should also write your own GAEM ENGINE in ASM so you have to write your own POGAMMING LANGUAGE, let's not stop there you have to build your own keyboard and semiconductors.

...but I somewhat agree. Yes, custom graphics take time and effort and not everyone can do them, but that doesn't mean you should disregard their worth. Look at games like Paradise Blue and U.S.G. A New Beginning. They both use custom graphics, and look at the acclaim they've received! I'm not saying custom graphics will make a game good, but they certainly don't hurt. It's easier to attract an audience with something they haven't seen a thousand times before.

Of course, gameplay should always take precedence over everything else in a game, as it has to be fun to play in order to succeed, but even the best game in the world could flop if it used 2k RTP and the main hero was Alex. Graphics shouldn't be overlooked so easily! If nothing else, custom graphics make your game stand out from the rest, and that can make a lot of difference in a community like this.
Yeah, but that only applies to people who can really do custom graphics. And even if you can you need to really ask yourself if the extra work is necessary or fun to do. Just because all you need is a magnetic needle and a still hand to craft your game doesn't mean you should sit there and poke at your drive plates when you could be doing other things like designing the gameplay.

I mean, I originally was just going to use RPG Maker 2003 until I decided I should patch up the engine that was lying around and use it- and that it would be fun to do.
I'm excited to see that custom maker, btw. What's the level of completion?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I do make custom graphics for my game nowadays, but I like to do that part. I'm able to freely design my world and characters as to how I really want them to be. You don't need to be good at spriting to do this, but you may want to get feedback from other people on your sprites/tiles/backgrounds/art. But there's also the problem of some people being perfectionists, and constantly remaking and remaking sprites. THAT is time consuming. You won't make progress if you worry for days about making something look just right.

It does take extra development time, particularly music making for me, but I feel like it helps make a more unique atmosphere in the game. Having custom graphics/music doesn't automatically make the game good, but custom resources should not be a substitute for making a good game anyway. I think it'd still be good to give it a shot. No one starts out as an expert in making graphics, they practice and learn.
-shameless plug-
http://pixel.oceansdream.net

Otherwise, I think at least editting the graphics or mapping them in such a way to make it interesting and a bit more unique could help too.