"SELLING FEATURE" OF YOUR GAME

catmitts: It's obvious the biggest draw to your games are their unique style and quirky nature. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that you posted here!
MOST RM games haven't got a selling point, because even though you say 'I have story! I have graphics! I have CMS DBS ZTS PMS ADD! When you put it up there, ultimately it looks and feels the same as the next game with a supposedly different selling feature.

The selling feature, however, that most of the non-RM internet will buy into is if your game is different. I've read many threads on the non-RM internet yearning for the more offbeat games like Yume Nikki. Of course, some of the more 'epic' games like Exit Fate or whatever break through, but they're the exception to the rule.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I've never finished a game but I imagine it would be the graphics since that has always been my main focus.
post=110915
MOST RM games haven't got a selling point, because even though you say 'I have story! I have graphics! I have CMS DBS ZTS PMS ADD! When you put it up there, ultimately it looks and feels the same as the next game with a supposedly different selling feature.

yes
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I guess it's up to the audience to decide the selling point.
post=110967
post=110915
yes

Yep! The entire community is hopeless!
Arcan- Not necessarily. Naturally, the each player will have a reason that they decided to download the game, and that is the selling point for that particular person.
However, from an advertiser's perspective, which I believe is the central matter in question here, the selling point is determined by the game itself, and what the target audience is.

Even so, it might not be a bad idea for an RM developer to have the beta testers, for instance, list what they think the game's strong points are, and then advertise based on that.
post=110974
post=110967
post=110915
yes

Yes, that sounds about right.
post=110967
post=110915
yes

The same can be said for a lot of games, period, it seems.
I'd like to say story, for me. And a predominantly techno soundtrack encompassed in nibble-sized midi format.
I'll try any RPG that isn't in a post-modern setting.
post=110974
post=110967
post=110915
yes

THE COMMUNITY! THE COMMUNITY HAS LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=111195

get the fuck out.
post=111195

True that. I'm getting sick of postmodern games in general. Or perhaps not really postmodern games but postpostmodern. Mostly because games aren't even in the postmodern phase yet so making postpostmodern games just feels so very wrong.
post=111195

So you don't like Earthbound or Mother 3?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
is this philosophy or young adults trying to pretend that they are philosophers
I'm thinking if you want story to be a selling point it has to be something you can explain in one sentence, like a "high concept" Hollywood pitch. No matter how good a story is, if someone has to play for five hours to realise it's good, it's probably not a selling point. Unless you have legions of fans who can go around telling everyone how awesome the ending is, of course.

Not that the story has to be different or "gimmicky" to be good, but as a rule it'll probably get more attention that way. I guess it just depends how desperately you want attention.

As for me I'm trying to make graphics a selling point but it takes soooo looooong to doooo.... :(