ONE QUICK QUESTION

Pages: 1
Alright, I'm trying to save myself a little bit of time, so if anyone can answer this yes or no,
that would be great.

Is it possible to make a skill able to target one OR all targets at once?
For example.

Can I make fire able to target one slime OR all of the monsters?
or do I just have to make spells like Fire & Fire-All
In what system?

I'm afraid I'm only at all familiar with RPGMXP, where it'd be a little tricky... well, I guess you could call a common event from the skill, and have the common event have a conditional branch, and show animation and inflict damage on all enemies if the button is pressed. I haven't tried this, though, so I'm not sure how it would work.

(If someone does, please let me know how it would work...)
I need to know whether or not you are using the default battle system. If you are then in the skills page in the database there should be a button to click so that your skill attacks all enemies.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
As far as I know, none of the RMs allow you to toggle between single and multiple targets.
author=demondestiny link=topic=531.msg7464#msg7464 date=1200221236
I need to know whether or not you are using the default battle system. If you are then in the skills page in the database there should be a button to click so that your skill attacks all enemies.

Not what he meant.

Anyway, no, you can't go between an 'all target' or 'single target' like FF7.

With tweaking, you can make it so it's possible to switch the skills around in or outside battle (with, say a battle stance), but not actually while you're choosing the skill. An alternative is using a show choice, but that's messy and not very good at all.

If this is being done in RMXP, however, it's more then likely it is possible with scripting.
yep, I guess scripting is a great way to unlock the limits of everything... if you can though.
How do you want the decision to be made?
User choice?
Some kind of logic?
i.e.
IF (one of the monsers is a "Slime")
Attack the slime
Otherwise
Attack ALL

Be Well
author=Brewmeister link=topic=531.msg7931#msg7931 date=1201148700
How do you want the decision to be made?
User choice?
Some kind of logic?
i.e.
IF (one of the monsers is a "Slime")
Attack the slime
Otherwise
Attack ALL

I don't think it's possible to script it based on monster type...

...but if you're referring to is like in the earlier Final Fantasy (where you can switch between single and multiple targets, and damage is adjusted accordingly), you might be able to script it, if you're good enough and if you're using RPG Maker XP. Or, of course, you could make a Custom Battle System with 2000 or 2003, but that isn't always worthwhile and I don't know if you're willing to go through that kind of trouble.
author=yamata no orochi link=topic=531.msg7959#msg7959 date=1201215554
I don't think it's possible to script it based on monster type...

Why not?

for i in 0...troop.members.size
if $game_troop.enemies[i].enemy_id == 33 # the id # of Slime
$game_skills[7].scope = 2 #2 = all enemies. 1 = one enemy
end

He just needs to answer the question on how it will be called, so I know where to put it.
I've never played FF, so I don't know how it worked.

Mantlecore, the simple answer to your question is..... Yes. :)

Be Well

I think he was saying that it's not possible in Rm2k/3...
Hmmm...

All of your discussions are interesting, ecspecially the scripting thing, but I have no idea how to script, and I don't think I could figure it out so..

Thanks for your help anyways.
Mantlecore, the easy way is to make 2 seperate skills.

However, if you can tell me how you want the player to decide whether it's a single enemy or 'all enemies', I can probably script it for you.

Be Well
You can script it based on monster type?

Wow. That's pretty neat. Go all out, then.
Hmmm...

I would very much appreciate it.

Now, I don't know if I would want there to be a key to be pressed in order to decide "One" or "All" targets, or if I want to simply make separate spells... if you could script that for me, that would be fantastic.

Thanks again.
author=mantlecore77 link=topic=531.msg8131#msg8131 date=1201405473
Hmmm...

I would very much appreciate it.

Now, I don't know if I would want there to be a key to be pressed in order to decide "One" or "All" targets, or if I want to simply make separate spells... if you could script that for me, that would be fantastic.

Thanks again.

"I don't know" is not a very specific requirement.

Do you only want specific skills to work this way?
Do you want to be able to configure which skills work this way?
Do you want to be able to change a skills 'status' in game? (for example, a starting character can only use the skill on a single enemy, but after a certain level or EXP, the skill changes to allow them to choose a single enemy or all enemies?)
Imagine yourself playing the game, and describe the battle scene.
"... you select "Fight", then "Skill", then the skill menu pops up, you select which skill you want to use, a choice menu pops up saying, "One enemy, All enemies", if you choose one enemy, then you get the arrow to choose which enemy. If you choose all enemies, the battle command selection advances to the next party member..."

Since you didn't verify the assumption, you are using RMXP, right?

Yamata-san (correct me if I used that wrong),
Yes, you could base it on monster type, or weapon type, or which map your on. The only limit is your imagination.

Be Well
Um... sorry, no. I'm using RM2K3. If you can't do it for RM2K3, that's fine, but I'm going to specify as much as possible right now.

Okay...
Basically, exactly what you said.
Except for, instead of eventually learning the option of choosing "Fire" or "Fire-All", it is simply initially installed into the ability when you learn it. And for the battle ex.

Vincent chooses "Fire" in the "Magic" skill subset menu, and it shows either "single target" or "all targets". If he chooses "single target", then the little hand pops up and he chooses his target, or if he chooses "all targets", the action is set and his turn is over; and of course, fire is cast on all enemies.
I would do it for many more spells other than fire, though. I have fire, ice, bolt, water, aero, and quake 1-3, and other magic like Bio and Cure.
So, if you need me to be any more specific, just ask, but that's basically what I would need in a nutshell..
Brewmeister, if you are working on it or not, please let me know, and I'm sorry if I wasted your time or if I sound impatient.
Pages: 1