HOW TO GET RPG MAKER 2003 DO THINGS OTHER THAN RPGS.

Pages: first 123 next last
Bluntly, I'm a newbie to the RPG Maker system. I like RPGs, but I'm not into turn based combat anymore. I want to do something different, but still a role-playing game.

So, what would I have to do to make a more action rpg type of game.
Also, I was wondering about if other genres of games could be added in as well.
As far as I know, I'd just have to somehow wire npcs into throwing projectiles or doing contact damage- and somehow wire the status/item system into doing effects outside of battle.

Any tips would be welcome, and greatly appreciated. As I delve through some literature, I'll revise the above statements to be more specific.
Best tip anyone will give you in this topic: Don't use RM2003 for anything other than an RPG/Adventure/Puzzler

Seriously you're better off with gamemaker, construct, IGM, ika, etc. than an RPG Maker which favor turn based (and especially turn based type puzzles/minigames). The only reason why people make action games on RM2003 is for strange e-cred or making a game with flawed mechanics.
I agree with Darken. Avarice by Solitayre and Anaryu utilized a sweet action RPG system. If you like the RM system, try a script in VX.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
http://www.queenscourt.org/games/Aurora%20Wing.rar
http://www.queenscourt.org/games/DeusCard.rar

Two very good examples of games that do what RM was never intended to do in a brilliant manner. Without copypasta scripts for that matter if you're thinking of moving to RMXP or RMVX.

As the coding might suggest, though, such a feat will be difficult. I wouldn't suggest it for people new to RM.
KA those work because they were both turn based (then again I never understood DeusCard, at all). But yeah.

post=116936
I agree with Darken. Avarice by Solitayre and Anaryu utilized a sweet action RPG system. If you like the RM system, try a script in VX.

Avarice is pretty solid, but I'm pretty sure Anaryu personally coded it himself so don't expect a plug-n-play actionRPG script to make solid mechanics right away.
Wow! Thanks for the responses guise.

Darken: I can see the validity of that, get my head in that space. I only went with RM2k3 because it was:
A: Free, because a friend sent it over when he heard I was making a game. I didn't tell him it was going to be a visual novel, and not a rpg though. I'm not making a visual novel using RM2k3 by the way, though it'd be interesting idea to try in the future assuming I don't drop the system completely.
B: I like SNES style graphics.
Petty- but whatever. Either way, I'll check out some of the other systems too.

Drakenais: I see... time to level up.

KingArthur: Alright! Thanks bro. Downloading as I type.
I'll rip them apart and see their brilliance inside out- after trying them out of course.

Thanks for the advice, but I don't mind difficult. Walks in the park are fine, but why do that when you can stroll through hell too?

So, generally speaking- I would be raw-coding a great deal to achieve a non-favored game-system? As opposed to rigging it through the events map layer or the database menu in RM2k3?
Rm2k/3 is not free and the translated version is pirated software.

If you're going for an action/adventure rpgish game, you either make it nice and functional with too much hassle in, say, gamemaker or you make a shitty, buggy and/or broken engine with rm2k/3 through much suffering. A third option is through VX or XP but that probably requires slightly more coding than GM (if you can't find a script for it that is).

EDIT: what I'm saying is don't use rm2k/3 for this
Interesting...

So, this has definitely shone a new light on things. I'm going to go with Game Maker 8 then for now, to wade through and see what can be done there.

Thanks guys!
AFrenchDreamer
plz send msg for internet grl shmoozing tipz
Carrionblue......It's quite possible to make a great ABS with RM2k3....but it takes a great amount of work.

I could show some pretty impressive ABS stuff that was made with Rm2k3.

Some of it I made and some of it other people made. (I'll PM you with some examples)

You can definitely make a ABS on the rm2k3 that utilizes status effects, contact damage, pixel contact damage, radius spells, almost anything.

It does require a lot of thinking.

Rm2k3 may not be made for that type of thing but it can do it well. ^_^
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
No it can't.
AFrenchDreamer
post=116988
No it can't.

Yes it can WIP, me and you both know that. ^_^

It just takes ALOT of work. But if you put a lot of time and patience in it you can create some great stuff.

Just because Rm2k3 has limitations doesn't mean that you have to abide by them.

Break through those limitations. I have seen and made many ABS's that are great and i'm a HUGE abs critic.

Rm2k3 can be utilized in so many differents genres......but I will show a example soon. ^_^
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
AFD you have shown nothing that breaks through the RM2k3 barriers. I have seem a considerable number of ABSs made and some considerably more impressive than yours.

Please stop thinking you are schooling me in something I have yet to encounter.
AFrenchDreamer
post=116998
AFD you have shown nothing that breaks through the RM2k3 barriers. I have seem a considerable number of ABSs made and some considerably more impressive than yours.

Please stop thinking you are schooling me in something I have yet to encounter.

First, you haven't seen the completed version of my latest work so you cannot judge its impressiveness.
and you also can't tell me what barriers i've broken or not broken when you haven't even seen what i've fully got up my sleeve.

And yes there are plenty of Abses that are better than mines but they use other engines.

Wait until I release my full work until you start judging it WIP.

I'm not trying to school you in anything WIP......Why the hell would I be trying to do that?

You're the one thats trying to school me WIP. You are the one that tried to contradict my original post.

You came in with the cold robotic "No it can't."

But I will soon hush all talks of Rm2k3 can't make awesome abses.

EDIT: WIP define "Rm2k3 Barriers."

WIP
If it is anything like the video you already showed off, you are not changing anything.
AFrenchDreamer
post=117001
If it is anything like the video you already showed off, you are not changing anything.
post=117001

Well I see you were interested enough to watch it WIP. it's Only 1/3 coded and its already looking great.

I have big plans for the final version of my ABS engine.

You can judge it fully when I reach that point. I don't try to judge your game WIP, because I know it isn't finished. Show me the same respect I show you.

EDIT: WIP go and try to do the things you've seen me do with Rm2k3 and then come back and have this conversation with me. And do it all by yourself. You will have more respect for me then.
WIP
I have also not been going about telling people how I am shattering barriers with my game. Or trying to use my game as an example to others.

I am not disrespecting your game. But what I am doing is calling bullshit on your claims as there is no evidence or prior works from which to compare. If somebody comes out of no where and claims the world, why am I supposed to automatically believe them?

Basically, I am content in waiting to see what you have cooked up. But that doesn't mean you should continue to trumpet your unproven creation as platform defining. There are numerous insults that fit the bill to describe such behavior.
AFrenchDreamer
post=117003
I have also not being going about telling people how I am shattering barriers with my game. Or trying to use my game as an example to others.

I am not disrespecting your game. But what I am doing is calling bullshit on your claims as there is no evidence or prior works from which to compare. If somebody comes out of no where and claims the world, why am I supposed to automatically believe them?

Basically, I am content in waiting to see what you have cooked up. But that doesn't mean you should continue to trumpet your unproven creation as platform defining. There are numerous insults that fit the bill to describe such behavior.

WIP you seem to think that I am an arrogant/cocky bastard. A lot of members think the same way you do.

But in the end i'm doing this work for you guys here at RMN and other places. I just want you guys to look at my work and have fun.

I mean no harm.

If you got to really know me you would come to know that i'm not that bad.

I make my ABSs not to be cocky and bigheaded. Its for other peoples enjoyment. Thats what you people are missing.

Thats why you don't ever see me trolling anybody. I'm just interested in giving RMN fun times.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
AFD, let your work speak for itself then.
Pages: first 123 next last